steve was delicious

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
changabang

steve was delicious

Post by changabang »

(snicker, snicker, snicker) :wink:
James Nicks
changabang

Post by changabang »

No takers?

Anyone watch Snickers commercials?
James Nicks
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I emailed snickers about this ad. A local surfer died after being bitten just as the ad appeared. It is hardly humorous to the grieving family and the tony minority of people who have lost loved ones to shark attack.
changabang

Post by changabang »

I find it enormously humorous. Shark attacks happen. And unwise people take chances and are thrown off Yosemite Falls. Life frequently sucks. There's no accounting for idiocy, bad luck, and fate. Sometimes the three strike simultaneously.
Snickers' intent was to sell a product, not mock anyone.
James Nicks
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I like to think, on the day I get eaten by a shark, it'll pause and say, "hey, what is that? Foie Gras? Now I feel bad for eating a man of taste."
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

It was an ad I found funny..there was that teenager girl who got yer arm bitten by a shark..whats she doing today?..made a movie and still swimming as normal on her surfboard..it IS a risk..some choose to embrace..others walk away..meh..depends on each and everyone's personal choice..hey at least no ones getting arrested :shock: ..there is always being a crab fisherman like on Deadliest Catch known to be the deadliest job today..or even a skydiver..also Risky..my link was about football..how did shark stuff show up?

ST
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

"Steve was Delicious" is the payoff line to the ad about sharks eating people as a taste test. Steve had just had a peanut butter snickers before being devoured.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
Araner

Post by Araner »

KAV wrote:I emailed snickers about this ad. A local surfer died after being bitten just as the ad appeared. It is hardly humorous to the grieving family and the tony minority of people who have lost loved ones to shark attack.
Dude, what's up with this? Trying to bum us out? The surf is half full... dude.

Mike
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

It's to close to home. Try carrying a body bag off a lifeboat with the local police, coroner and grieving family trying to open the bag. Bad taste seems to apply only when each of us is offended and any universal measure of gentility abandoned.
franz

Post by franz »

That's very sad, and I'm sorry to hear of your experience. It must have been awful.

While I can understand why the ad struck a nerve for you, it is not my opinion that it is in poor taste per se. Sure, Snickers could have pulled the ad out of an abundance of caution. But if the acceptable bounds of humor followed that implied rule (which seems like the real issue we are discussing) we wouldn't be able to joke about anything.

YMMV, obviously.