DOUBLE DIPPING.....it is a good thing!!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
marsos52

DOUBLE DIPPING.....it is a good thing!!

Post by marsos52 »

they say that double dipping isnt healthy. but I beg to differ..

at least i differ when it coming to making lather. orginally i was going to post this as a MWF trick, but soon learned how wonderful it works with
all other shaving soap products..

i have no problems getting a great lather with any product using the normal load your brush and using a mug to get the lather ready for my beard..

but i have discovered this; i go about loading the brush and making my lather as usual, just as the lather begins to come alive, i then go back to my soap bowl and load into my brush just a little more soap,, and then finish my lather making..

this gives me the best lather ever, sorta like seasoning your food two times, like the pro chefs do.. first when starting to cook and then when the food is almost ready.. layers rule!!

i hope some members will give this a try and post there findings.

thanks
marc
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hi Marc, Glad you found out about this. I've been doing this for years as the way I lather. I've even described it once or twice on here in passing. I think it comes from the fact that the cake of soap is wet and a top layer of soap is melted and thus easily picked up by the brush on that secondary "dip". I've always looked at it as the first lathering - a sort of whole process. Sometimes as part of that process I go back to the cake a few times just to ensure I have enough soap (I try not to pick up too much soap the first trip round the cake so I don't starch my whiskers).

Sometimes when I lather up for the second pass I have to go through this again sometimes I don't, it's simply a matter of how much lather is left in the brush after the first pass.

Anyway, yeah I agree it makes for a very protective, stiff yet slick lather. Great stuff and it's what makes soap superior performers for me.

Chris
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Soap pucks last a long time and I have enough different ones so it makes sense to lather up between passses.
Ron
franz

Post by franz »

Probably in the minority but I don't hesitate to go back to the puck to tweak the lather as necessary. Nothing wrong with refreshing your lather IMO.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

There are rules against double-dipping? I think more than a few of us are lathering alchemists. As for me, if the brush needs a fresh charge of soap/cream, then that's what I do. Make it the best possible shave.
Ed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, I've always done that as well as a matter of course.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

rules against double dipping??

i used this term ...it was orignally used when a person dipped a chip or some food into a dip and took a bite and then dipped again..

i just borrowed the phrase ..
marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmmm --- guess I have been another quiet double-dipper then -- this is how I started to learn to lather soap, and I have never diverted from this path.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

marsos52 wrote:rules against double dipping??

i used this term ...it was orignally used when a person dipped a chip or some food into a dip and took a bite and then dipped again..

i just borrowed the phrase ..
marc
I knew the term. Wasn't it a Seinfeld invention?
Ed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We don't need no stinking rules.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Well over here, double-dipping means.... actually, no. Forget it.

*tiptoes away*
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I do the same thing with my soaps. Kind of makes an all soap superlather.
Cheers,

Craig
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:I do the same thing with my soaps. Kind of makes an all soap superlather.
Me too.

Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems we have a consensus. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Come, come Michael....don't be shy. What DOES 'double dipping' mean over there...hmm?
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on the gordon question

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

I've rationalized it as something akin to long soak time for a badger brush in order to prevent the brush from stealing moisture from the evolving/devolving lather.

First loading is getting it going, making enough lather to fill the brush and then some. Second loading can be lighter, enough to ensure lots of lather for all the passes. The first loading is filling the brush, sure, we can get a lot of passes out of the brush, and if we want to at the end of the shave if we're desperate we can pull out the last of the brush's soap between our thumb and forefinger.

I developed this "technique" when I was trying to load up on J.B. Williams.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
never2close

Post by never2close »

I re-dip when the water soap ratio is off, specifically there is too much water. I look for large bubbles in the developing later, and that means I need more cream or soap. If I have the right ratio from the start, then no need to re-dip.
Cicerosecundus

Double Dipping with Soap and Creme

Post by Cicerosecundus »

For my denser badger brushes, I load the brush first with Tabac soap and then put a small pinch of creme on the brush and whip the brush about in my palm. That creates an unbelievably rich and heavy lather. My boar brushes and a new SOC high mountain brush give me a rich lather from Tabac without adding creme.
paddy

Post by paddy »

Come, come Michael....don't be shy. What DOES 'double dipping' mean over there...hmm?
Regards,
Gordon
i believe on your side of the pond in certain circles it's called a 'DP', but i really know about anything like that.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.