Simpson Sommerset brush instructions and video.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Teiste

Simpson Sommerset brush instructions and video.

Post by Teiste »

I have received a Simpson Sommerset (gorgeous by the way) Harvard 3 best badger from member AABCDS, and with it came this brush instructions (something that Vulfix should consider to add again with the brushes) where you can clearly see how Simpson recommended to use the brush while making lather on the face.I have found myself,and thanks to the video that I add from du212,that painting strokes works really well,even better than I was expecting it and I can use pure badger brushes with no fear of exfoliating or irritating my skin really bad.

These are some pics of the instructions :

And this is the video of du212 making lather with painting strokes.He uses Palmolive shaving stick,and almost shave with the lather he made using his hands,but later makes the painting strokes and create a lot of lather (the video is in spanish,but really easy to understand and watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcTguJhwchA
diggity

Post by diggity »

Pretty cool and a great piece of history. However, I like to swirl my brushes, even Simpsons and it works better IMO. But nonetheless, it's very cool that we can get a glimpse into how Alexander Simpson wished his brushes to be used.
Nathan
malocchio

h20

Post by malocchio »

I saw this one as well..I guess HOT water was considered fine for brushes then,I wonder if simpsons still maintains that it is harmless to the brush and handle ?
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

diggity wrote:Pretty cool and a great piece of history. However, I like to swirl my brushes, even Simpsons and it works better IMO. But nonetheless, it's very cool that we can get a glimpse into how Alexander Simpson wished his brushes to be used.
Ummm....have been saying this for a while!! :wink:

Gary
Gary
diggity

Post by diggity »

Gary Young wrote:
diggity wrote:Pretty cool and a great piece of history. However, I like to swirl my brushes, even Simpsons and it works better IMO. But nonetheless, it's very cool that we can get a glimpse into how Alexander Simpson wished his brushes to be used.
Ummm....have been saying this for a while!! :wink:

Gary
I know, Gary.....sometimes a dead horse needs to be beaten around these parts :lol:
Nathan
brucered

Post by brucered »

side to side and NOT circular :shock:

i better change my thought process. starting tomorrow, SIDE TO SIDE painting strokes

thanks Teiste and Gary.
Elephants never forget!
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

brucered wrote:side to side and NOT circular :shock:

i better change my thought process. starting tomorrow, SIDE TO SIDE painting strokes

thanks Teiste and Gary.
Don't worry - I've haply ignored these instructions for years and never had issues. HL Thater brushes, by the way, come with quite different instructions. Its personal preference. If you want a brush to last forever, probably go with paint motions, if you want the best lather, do what you want/have to to get it - a brush is just a tool for making/applying lather, after all.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

diggity wrote: I know, Gary.....sometimes a dead horse needs to be beaten around these parts :lol:
There's nothing quite so dead as a horse beaten on Shave My Face.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Equine redux . . . dig him up and kill him again.
Regards,
Squire
brucered

Post by brucered »

Squire wrote:Equine redux . . . dig him up and kill him again.
Elephants never forget!
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Which raises the obvious question - do the same instructions apply to horse hair brushes? Horses whirl their tails around, so they can probably take swirling in a dish of soap as well.
Rick
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

blantyre wrote:Which raises the obvious question - do the same instructions apply to horse hair brushes? Horses whirl their tails around, so they can probably take swirling in a dish of soap as well.
Maybe! Just think about a badger for a second though...not that I would consider stroking a live badger an enjoyable experience or a wise suggestion, but I would rather stroke a badger with a gentle paintbrush motion than a harsh circular motion.....! ;)

Gary
Gary
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Gary Young wrote:
blantyre wrote:Which raises the obvious question - do the same instructions apply to horse hair brushes? Horses whirl their tails around, so they can probably take swirling in a dish of soap as well.
Maybe! Just think about a badger for a second though...not that I would consider stroking a live badger an enjoyable experience or a wise suggestion, but I would rather stroke a badger with a gentle paintbrush motion than a harsh circular motion.....! ;)

Gary
Now that's just funny! I'm laughing trying to picture that in my mind! Better not be a honey badger!
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary I stroked a badger pelt in a taxidermist shop out of curiosity and found it quite soft. I've also been in the presence of a live wild one and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
Regards,
Squire
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Squire wrote:Gary I stroked a badger pelt in a taxidermist shop out of curiosity and found it quite soft. I've also been in the presence of a live wild one and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
was it an american badger or an asian/european badger? the two are very different
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
franz

Post by franz »

gil3591 wrote: was it an american badger or an asian/european badger? the two are very different
The air speed velocity is different. :D
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

LouisIII wrote: HL Thater brushes, by the way, come with quite different instructions.
Curious, what do the Thater brush instructions say?
Rob
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Several responses come to mind but all of them refer to a football team mascot.
Regards,
Squire
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

The bigger issue for me is... how do you generate lather from a hard soap puck like MWF or Tabac without vigorously swirling the brush on the puck for a good while? If hard swirls are bad, then the hard swirls on the puck must be really bad?

I do find that my badger brushes don't like swirling abuse as much as my boars. When I aggressively swirl, the badger brushes seem to lose hair while the boars do not (after they are broken-in that is).
Aaron622

Post by Aaron622 »

franz wrote:
gil3591 wrote: was it an american badger or an asian/european badger? the two are very different
The air speed velocity is different. :D
Ha!