Feather AS too mild for anyone?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Persius

Feather AS too mild for anyone?

Post by Persius »

Just trying out a Feather AS for the first time and it seems to be very mild to me. Is that a common finding or am I just showing my lack of experience? Is it too mild for anyone, or worth persevering with it until you get used to it?
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

It was too mild for me, even with brand new Feather blades. I think I kept mine for two weeks before I sold it.
AFG

Post by AFG »

I bought one last week on the sale forum and I'm not finding it all that mild. I've only used it for two shaves but so far it's working well. The first shave was with a new Feather blade and I got a very acceptable although not outstanding shave. Very comfortable and I was pleased with the results. I then used it with a Personna Hospital Use blade. I've actually been getting closer shaves with these blades and Gillette blue box blades than I have with Feather for some reason. At any rate I got a very close shave with the Personna blade this morning equal to what I have gotten using this blade with other razors. It's still early but so far I really like this razor. I'll try it with a Gillette blue box blade in a couple of days to see where that goes.
Al
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I find that my Feather - with great vintage blades like Personna 74, Schick Plus Platinum, and Wilkinson Light Brigade - gives me wonderful shaves consistently.
_______
John
numcks

Post by numcks »

I had one on loan for a month and found it to be too mild and unremarkable to justify the purchase price. It is a beautifully made instrument, however.
Cheers,
Mike
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

I have to be honest I have never tried the Feather razor only their blades, but I am happy sticking with the vintage Gillettes
John
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to try it, beautiful razor, but was too mild for me.
--------------------------
-Moe
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Its a magnificent razor but i dont like the total lack of feedback.....sliced and diced myself because of its 'mildness'

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Persius

Post by Persius »

I may have to adjust my initial assessment. I have noticed that my face seems to love the Feather AS. As I use it more often, the results improve, and the reduction in irritation (sensitive skin and psoriasis) is noticeable.

As usual, it's the workman and not the tool that is at issue ...
Last edited by Persius on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BullGoose
Vendor

Re: Feather AS too mild for anyone?

Post by BullGoose »

Persius wrote: Is it too mild for anyone, or worth persevering with it until you get used to it?
It was definitely too mild for me and I quickly sold mine on the B/S/T.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

For me, it's a mild but very effective (and forgiving) razor. It's my hands-down favorite razor.
Lynn
brucered

Post by brucered »

Persius wrote:I may have to adjust my initial assessment. I have noticed that my face seems to love the Feather AS. As I use it more often, the results improve, and the reduction in irritation (sensitive skin and psoriasis) is noticeable.

As usual, it's the workman and not the tool that is at issue ...
agreed on all accounts.

the more i used it and the more frequent i use it, the better shaves i get.

never any cuts or knicks or redness. near BBS every time, with no irritation.
Elephants never forget!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Like Lynn, I find this razor to be mild but unusually effective. It seems to "get under" the whiskers and mow them down better than most razors I have used.

At the same time, like Persius discovered, the proper angle seems to be a little different for the Feather, which can benefit from a little accumulated familiarity to get the most out of the razor.

- Murray
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Agreed, I used it for a week and was disappointed. Continued use has resulted in smooth and comfortable shaves that are just as close as the slant with no irritation.