Gillette Vintage Blue Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Jonnieboy61

Gillette Vintage Blue Blades

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Been eying a pack of these on the bay, thought I'd give them a try. But before I do, thought I'd get some feedback from you guys on whether I will be wasting my money.

I suppose what I really want to know is, how do they compare with say a Swede or Super Iridium.

All the best
John
Obie

Post by Obie »

I used a blade from the Gillette blue you mention and found it rough — and retired the whole pack.
Obie Yadgar
obieyadgar.com
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

John vintage (say 40+ years) stainless blades continue to hold their edge for the most part, some are quite good actually, (Wilkinson, Gillette Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, Personna 74) but I wouldn't trust a vintage carbon steel blade for shaving.
Regards,
Squire
celar36

Post by celar36 »

John,

I just got 6 of this Image

Still packed in cellophane but its open. It came with my fatboy(1961y)

If u want just pay for delivery as I dont need them for collection or to use.

Offer only for John as he wants to try, If not I will keep them.

Cheers
Jack
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Squire wrote:John vintage (say 40+ years) stainless blades continue to hold their edge for the most part, some are quite good actually, (Wilkinson, Gillette Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, Personna 74) but I wouldn't trust a vintage carbon steel blade for shaving.
Squire

Thanks for your input, I have no real experience of these really old blue versions, but will give 1 pack a try even if its just to compare

All the best
John
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

celar36 wrote:John,

I just got 6 of this Image

Still packed in cellophane but its open. It came with my fatboy(1961y)

If u want just pay for delivery as I dont need them for collection or to use.

Offer only for John as he wants to try, If not I will keep them.

Cheers
Jack

Thanks for the offer, most generous, but I have some on their way to me already.

All the best
John
celar36

Post by celar36 »

You're Welcome :) Always happy to help :) Hope u be happy with them.
Jack
nelson

Post by nelson »

Back in the early 60s, when I first started shaving, I used Gillette Super Blue Blades for the most part, although I experimented briefly with the Blue Blades. I thought the entire shaving experience was terrible, especially with the Blue Blades. At least part of this was the result of my very poor technique. During my 1st year in college my dad sent me a pack of Wilkinson Sword stainless blades, then pretty new in the US market place. They were significantly better in all respects. I would be very surprised if you come away with a good opinion of the Super Blue or Blue blades. Of course, if you're a collector, then they are "must have" blades; otherwise, I wouldn't recommend them. Nearly every blade available today would be considerably better.

nelson
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Right you are Nelson.

John another thought occurs . . . if you want to try a modern carbon steel blade I recommend the Treet Dura Sharps in the Yellow/White stripe box.
Regards,
Squire
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Thanks again Gents I'm not a collector just a user but always willing to try something new or old in this case

Thanks again
John
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

While I agree that vintage stainless blades are sharper and smoother than vintage carbons I will say that there are many old carbons that are quite usable and, for some shavers, preferable. Gradually, over a period of two or three years, I have just about completely migrated to vintage carbon razor blades. Sure, they take quite a lot of getting used to. Expectations need to be re-vamped and altered technique is required. The payoff is shaves as close as desired with almost total elimination of irritation and nicks. Certainly vintage carbon users represent a small niche group of shavers. The investment of time and effort is quite daunting in terms of locating blades, determining condition, and modifying technique. But the returns are worth it.
Rich
95%

Post by 95% »

I started out with Blue Blades in 1956 - can't say whether they were "Super" or not - and used them exclusively until coated stainless steel blades appeared four or five years later. My recollection is that they gave me excellent shaves, just as Rich says. Their drawback was that they didn't hold an edge for more than two or three shaves, and they were susceptible to rust. At least they were for an owner as careless as me in my teenage years. I was at no pains to dry the razor after each shave, let alone remove the blade and let it dry properly.

I moved along with technology and now use only cartridges. But I do have fond memories of the old experience - not that I'd dare attempt to recreate it now.
Porter
King-D

Post by King-D »

I found the old Gillette Blues to be a fine blade, IF you like carbon blades. I enjoy the Treet Black Beauties, and the Gillettes were just a notch better. I think it will really depend on weather your blades have some corrosion.
David

Shave in the shower!
harper

Post by harper »

When it was introduced in about 1958 or 59 it was heads and shoulders above any other commercial blade on the market ... a breakthrough in sharpness. Because it was marketedly sharper than most ... maybe all ... stainless blades at the time Gillette did not market a SS blade because they believed that shavers preferred a sharper blade to one with durability. Clearly they were wrong as SS blades began to take larger and larger shares of the market so Gillette began making SS blades. I used Super Blues until about the early Sixties when I gravitated to SS blades. I am sure that current Feather blades are sharper than the Super Blue blades were then but this is now and that was then. My source for this was the President of Gillette at the time.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Drat harper, Hail to the Chief will be running through my head for the rest of the day.
Regards,
Squire
harper

Post by harper »

That old Scottish-based piece of music ...?