brought myself a gift...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
marsos52

brought myself a gift...

Post by marsos52 »

well, i passed my 90 day probation on my new job. plus for the last two weeks i did a lot of overtime.

i figured i deserved a treet.

i'm happy and set with my gear but there is always room for another something.

with so many new custom razors available i thought it would go this route.

from reading threads and posts about the feather razor and the pils and the ikon and the weber i never really felt any of these razors would rock my world.

one razor i have hardly heard much about is the Tradere. i did find a few reviews and they gave mixed views

so i did the deed and made the order. one thing i read about the company is there are going to be another model or two added to the line
and the price is going to increase and a few small other changes helped me to make up my mind.

so im expecting the razor to arrive tihs coming monday, but to my surprise it came yesterday. about 5 minutes after i shaved, haha

after opening the box and looking over the three parts that make up the razor, i see quaility of workmanship i have never seen in a razor

the handle and the two piece head are just to beautiful for words

i put the razor together and it just looks grand. the base plate of the head is solid and heavy and the top and base that make the razors head fit perfectly and i really like how it holds the blade. the blade cant never be not totally center and aligned in the head. also the entire blade is in the head, even the blade sides are in the razor head.

now the handle. amazing, the knurling is not deep and heavy, but no need for that, now way it is going to slip in the hand. and its heavy too.

at first, the assembled razor feels strange, the balance it feels wrong.
and again first thought is this isnt going to work.

so i spend the day eye balling the fine workmanship and handling the razor without a blade. just waiting for todays shave

today the razor felt better in my hand and the razor heft and balance when shaving works perfectly.. honestly the smoothest feeling razor i have ever felt.

just a joy to shave with. yes it is aggresive. no need for any pressure other than the razors natural weight ,.. i really have to pay attention to notice its aggressive because it shave so smooth.

all said and done. close and comfortable shave. no weepers or nicks

does it shave better than my futur or barberpole?
not really. but it is smoother alot. just as close a shave that i always get.
with a little more enjoyment because of the feel.

with so many years of de shaving and shaving with so many different razors i have learned most shave well. and the end result is about the same.

the difference is how the razor feels in hand and on the face.

and the Tradere has the feel in hand and feel on the face that i look for.
its a working piece of art

i hate to admit it, it's really worth the price

marc[/b]
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Congratulations on the new "axe", marc -- and on getting past the probation period at work. It sounds like a few good things are falling into place!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Marc, how would you rate its aggressiveness?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

rate its aggressiveness, hum

well i just shaved with it for the second time. my two main razors are a barberpole and my favorite ever futur set at 3, compared to my two merkers its probably a tad more aggressive. but the razor is smoother
to shave with. so it feels about the same

this morning i noticed less growth than normal, and i got a really close comfortable shave

marc
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Use it in good health marc and congrats at work etc. i'll have to hit the www later to see what it looks like :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a link in case anyone care to check it out
http://www.tradererazors.com/
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Marc, it sounds lilke your research and your "gut" feeling paid off for you. I'm happy to hear that you've been able to spend a couple of hard earned bucks on something that you really like and appreciate.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Congratulations on owning a fine piece of gear.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

im enjoying the razor and its totally rounds out my razors

futur has been my fav for a decade plus and the barberpole is up there too

i always wanted a open comb. the ikon i had i liked but it was to harsh and demanding

lets not forget my rolls razor and hofftriz slant too and a black handle superspeed

marc
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It sounds like a fine razor. Glad to see it's made in the USA!

Congrats on the job!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Marc, is yours the open comb or the solid bar? I see from the website that they're now in the process of making both because they're all sold out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Good looking razor- 8)
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

my Tradere is the orginal version and is has a serial number too

and its a open comb and thats one of the reason i got it.

marc