Triclosan

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Triclosan

Post by fallingwickets »

sort of surprised that the soap geeks weren't all over this headline from yesterday, but in any event:

Introduced in the 1970s, the compound triclosan has become an increasingly popular ingredient in many antibacterial soaps and other personal-care items, such as deodorants and mouthwashes. However, as the chemical’s popularity continues to grow, a recent report has raised concerns about some frightening risks that triclosan could pose to public health.

A new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences has revealed that exposure to triclosan is linked with muscle function impairments in humans and mice, as well as slowing the swimming of fish. By reducing contractions in both cardiac and skeletal muscles, the chemical has the potential to contribute to heart disease and heart failure.

more at:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/1 ... latestnews

Rumour has it that shave creams/soaps have triclosan in them(?)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

thank you very much. this is very worrying. I have been using dish soap containing triclosan for 3 years now. I haven't felt anything but I should probably discontinue use. My dish sponge never smells bad when using the triclosan soap.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

This reminder prompted me to order a batch of Green Mountain (tallow) soap bars and the (veggie) liquid soap. Nothing naughty there. Back to plain old Crest toothpaste, too. Thanks.
Ron
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We use Crest Whitening, vivid I think, and Marvis, and I use Listerine. Got to go read up now.
merkri

Post by merkri »

I've been trying to eliminate triclosan products for some time, mainly because I don't want antibacterials around all the time when I don't really need them.

It's harder than it sounds.

I was surprised to read about this study in some ways -- I didn't think it might be directly harmful. My wife had a similar reaction.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good to get the latest. Thanks, Clive.

- Murray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Thank you, Clive!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Always something isn't it? We have moved to more natural products over the years because there are fewer ingredients which I can't pronounce (how does one say "tricolosan" anyway?). Thanks for the link, Clive.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Studies can be very complex and often wrong, confusing co-occurence with causality, so I would be reluctant to get too very worried. Do you remember how many medical studies by top universities have been later proven 100
% wrong? Or the study that said sacahrin (in diet soda) could cause cancer beause of studies on laboratory rats, which was followed up much later by the disclosure that humans would have to drink hundreds of cases daily for years before there would be a problem?

Consider this: if a fish observed that human fishermen were hazardous to fish and that all human fisherman breathe, therefore all beings that breathe are hazardous to fisherman -- this is obviously false. Coincidence but not causality.

Here is what the FDA has to say: "Triclosan is not known to be hazardous to humans. FDA does not have sufficient safety evidence to recommend changing consumer use of products that contain triclosan at this time." Check out FDA's view at http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 205999.htm
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

merkri wrote:I've been trying to eliminate triclosan products for some time, mainly because I don't want antibacterials around all the time when I don't really need them.
I think that's the valid reason to try to move away from it.

I do BBQ and every year we're told "BBQ is bad for your health". That's because of the fats dripping onto the hot coals, and that results in peroxides getting onto the meat. One thing they don't realize with the studies that say BBQ is bad for ones health... They studied grilling- not BBQ. :lol:

I'm agreeing with studies being proven or shown to be wrong.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square