First Razor: Advise?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Icarus1

First Razor: Advise?

Post by Icarus1 »

Hello, all.

I'm looking to (in the near future) purchase my first functional straight razor. Obviously, you guys are the professionals, so I KNOW that you have some opinions for me. :) I don't have a ton of money to spend, but if I need to, I'll save. Can you make some suggestions, or else, point me to some relevant threads?
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

I'll add that I probably want to start with a metal handle round or semi-round, and that I'm going to take a trip down to the local antique store to see what they have for me, but I will post pics and info before I get anything. In the meantime, though, suggestions would be tremendously appreciated. :D
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You'll be very lucky to find metal scales in an antique store, and I don't think you should be worrying about looks at all. All you need is a clean blade - no nicks in the edge, not honed into a wide smile, and without huge flats on the shoulders from too much honing. Once you have that blade, we can talk about honing.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Icarus, if you're serious about getting one and learning all there is to know about using and maintaining one, you'll be successful. There is a nice knowledgeable fellow named Larry who has a webstore called Whipped Dog. His web address is http://www.whippeddog.com/
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

It's probably been discussed before on here, but has anyone purchased from www.whippeddog.com?

I don't like the idea of not having control over the razor I receive, but for my first razor, it might serve me well.

Also, if it truly comes shave ready (which I realizes means something different to a manufacturer than a shaver), it would save me learning how to hone. I'd still need to learn how to strop, of course, but from what I've seen that requires less dexterity and attention to detail. What say you all?
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Whatever you decide, now at your age is probably the best time to explore an interest in investing your time and money into the straight razors. If you have a passion for the straight razors, you'll be fortunate to have so many years ahead to enjoy them.

If you decide it's not your cup of tea, then you will be able to mark that off your list and you can pursue other avenues of interest. I think we learn and adapt faster while we're young. However, our youth might also keep us from being able to focus very long on something that might appear to present an immediate challenge, overlooking the long term value of any given pursuit.

I wish you well. In my case, I wish I had discovered straight razor shaving when I was your age. You're a lucky guy, Coltrane. All the best to you!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

brothers wrote:Whatever you decide, now at your age is probably the best time to explore an interest in investing your time and money into the straight razors. If you have a passion for the straight razors, you'll be fortunate to have so many years ahead to enjoy them.

If you decide it's not your cup of tea, then you will be able to mark that off your list and you can pursue other avenues of interest. I think we learn and adapt faster while we're young. However, our youth might also keep us from being able to focus very long on something that might appear to present an immediate challenge, overlooking the long term value of any given pursuit.

I wish you well. In my case, I wish I had discovered straight razor shaving when I was your age. You're a lucky guy, Coltrane. All the best to you!
Thank you very much. I know I'm lucky; I have years to perfect the art. :P I may not stay on this course forever, but I generally stick with things I'm interested with. At the very least, you guys will have me for a while to come.

EDIT: Wow, I see that I failed to properly read this thread. What a noob. Jeez. Well, Gary, I looked at that link, and then I looked at it again based on a different recommendation, FORGOT it had been posted here, and then asked about it AGAIN! How silly of me. Forgive my carelessness, if you can stand it.
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.