Lookout fatso, there's a new ewe in town

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
oldtrout

Lookout fatso, there's a new ewe in town

Post by oldtrout »

My new favorite soap. A rich and creamy easy to lather soap with a very light scent.
Last edited by oldtrout on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tester

Post by tester »

How does it compare to MWF? I'd be interested in trying a lanolin rich soap that was easier to lather than MWF.

Can I ask where you bought it? I thought I had tried everything - guess not :oops: .
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

tester wrote:How does it compare to MWF? I'd be interested in trying a lanolin rich soap that was easier to lather than MWF.

Can I ask where you bought it? I thought I had tried everything - guess not :oops: .
It's available at westcoastshaving.com. I been told Shavemac (the brush manufacturer) sells it too.
The pucks are small compared to MWF.
Last edited by oldtrout on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blasphemy, methinks!

MWF difficult to lather? Balderdash and all that what.

Seriously, I treat my MWF just like any other soap -- so since I used it before I started going down other soap avenues, maybe the reverse is true, and I actually treat all my soaps just like the Fat ..... :?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i think anyone who has made lather from any soap wont find it hard to make lather from MWF

i never do anything any different to get amazing lather from MWF compared to any other soap

soap is soap ,, now let the fights begin haha

marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have great difficulty getting decent lather from MWF, and have had one or two soaps over the years! It suits me to blame my hard water. Haslinger soaps were remarkably good in the old days (I think there may have been a reformulation since) and I'd be willing to give this one a go. I'll be able to put it in the wooden bowl currently being wasted by the Classic Shaving Wool Fat Nightmare.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

drmoss_ca wrote:. I'll be able to put it in the wooden bowl currently being wasted by the Classic Shaving Wool Fat Nightmare.
Chris
The Classic Shaving Wool Fat is the very worst soap I've ever had the misfortune to place in a bowl. Is this SMF forum-appropriate for me to say?
brothers

Post by brothers »

You probably haven't tried the new Musgo Real soap. You didn't miss a thing. Back on point, the Haslinger is good soap. I had a puck of the coconut, and soon decided I didn't care for that version of coconut. I was going to get a puck of a different fragrance, but haven't gotten around to that since I've been practicing long-term single product fidelity. Maybe this sheep's milk/lanolin Hasllinger would be worth a try.

Speaking of MWF, in 2009 I picked up a few too many backups of MWF and Tabac, so I had what turned out to be a good idea and I milled equal numbers of pucks of Tabac and MWF together and pressed them into some wonderful soap that lathers like Tabac and has all of the best qualities of both soaps. The smell is great, as you might understand.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

MWF is so good that I won't be tempted.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mr. Trout, Yes, quite.....entirely proper certainly....harumph! Here we do not, afterall, write only about things we like...we just keep a certain decorum ( hopefully ).

Chris, Certainly the hard water ( which I have also ) plays a part as I found the Mitchell's shave soap challenging to lather up as well and I too have used a few shave soaps in my time. Interestingly though, I have no problem whatsoever with the Mitchell's bath soap. In fact it is one of the richest lathering soaps I have ever used in the shower. I keep thinking that perhaps I should give the MWF shave soap another go one of these days. As for this Haslinger number, it sounds interesting for sure.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for the thread.....always good to read about 'new' products and I for one am looking forward to reading about what the 'geeks' think about the soap :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

drmoss_ca wrote:I have great difficulty getting decent lather from MWF, and have had one or two soaps over the years! It suits me to blame my hard water. Haslinger soaps were remarkably good in the old days (I think there may have been a reformulation since) and I'd be willing to give this one a go. I'll be able to put it in the wooden bowl currently being wasted by the Classic Shaving Wool Fat Nightmare.

Chris
Chris, I never had any problems getting good lather from MWF, however that soap burned the hell out of my face. The funny part is I can use Musgo Real or any of the Godrej creams safely and comfortably and they also contain lanolin, but MWF declared war on me!
JEFF
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

brothers wrote:You probably haven't tried the new Musgo Real soap. You didn't miss a thing. Back on point, the Haslinger is good soap. I had a puck of the coconut, and soon decided I didn't care for that version of coconut. I was going to get a puck of a different fragrance, but haven't gotten around to that since I've been practicing long-term single product fidelity. Maybe this sheep's milk/lanolin Hasllinger would be worth a try.

Speaking of MWF, in 2009 I picked up a few too many backups of MWF and Tabac, so I had what turned out to be a good idea and I milled equal numbers of pucks of Tabac and MWF together and pressed them into some wonderful soap that lathers like Tabac and has all of the best qualities of both soaps. The smell is great, as you might understand.
Gary, aren't the Haslinger soaps connected to Muhle-Pinsel?
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jeff, I haven't heard that. Just don't know. Maybe Berndt at Shavemac can shed some light on that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Haslinger soaps were once upon a time also sold with a Muhle-Pinsel label (and furthermore, when EJ started to sell brushes that were relabelled M-P brushes, they also started to sell Haslinger soap with an EJ label). Whether that is still true, I don't know.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

oldtrout wrote:
tester wrote:How does it compare to MWF? I'd be interested in trying a lanolin rich soap that was easier to lather than MWF.

It's available at westcoastshaving.com. I been told Shavemac (the brush manufacturer) sells it too.
The pucks are small compared to MWF.
These outlets also sell Haslinger shave soap:

RoyalShave.com
Smallflower.com
Amazon.com (just search on 'Haslinger')

Here is a link to the Haslinger website, in case anyone is interested.