My first Fatboy

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
KayakDom

My first Fatboy

Post by KayakDom »

I am retired Navy, Submarine Chief, and was home in Texas three weeks ago. Forgot my razor and my dad let me borrow his 195 Fatboy.
I fell in love with DE wet shaving for the week and begged him to let me have it. He said I would have better luck taking his coon hound
and we all know that will never happen. I got a real nice 1960 Fatboy from Ebay and shaved with it tonight when I got home from work.
It was just, well WOW. I look forward to read'in the post and getting new ideas. I am using Derby blades from Sally's beauty supply
and they seem to work well.
Clinto

Re: My first Fatboy

Post by Clinto »

Sounds nice, I recently acquired a Fatboy in my father's birth quarter however it was in rough condition so I sent it off for replating before trying it out. Hoping to have it back next week.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A1959 fatboy was my first de razor. Gave it to a newbie and my wife was good enought to replace it with one from my birth year +1. I still have it and use it on occasion. Paid $20 as I recall for both the original and the replacement. They tend to go for more these days so I am told. Enjoy it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good morning Kayak, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Welcome to SMF.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to our little community, KayakDom.

I have a couple of Fatboys - along with a couple of other Gillette adjustables - that I have never gotten around to trying. Looks like I'll need to finally give them a try.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum! Gillette adjustables are fine razors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
KayakDom

Post by KayakDom »

Thanks everyone. Looks like a good group and a lively bunch here. I had no idea there was such a passion for the DE razor.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

KayakDom wrote: ... I had no idea there was such a passion for the DE razor.
Prepared to be surprised, amazed and afflicted with acquisition disorder (AD) aplenty.
Wendell

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Kayak,

Welcome and please let us know if we can be of assistance.

The Fatboy is my favorite, all time razor and the one I use the most. Just a wonderfully engineered piece of hardware. I have acquired Muhles, Merkers, Parkers, and EJs and disposed of all.

My stable consists of a Fatboy, a Slim Adjustable SS, a Long Handle Black Adjustable SS, a 1947 SS (birth year :-({|=), and a 1958 Cavalcade of Sports SS with one Shick Krona for good measure.

If you get razor AD, which you most likely will, please look around at other vintage Gillette razors; IMHO they are the best of the best.

Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good show regarding the Gillette family. Don't be surprised when you get the Merkur bug. Don't fight it. Those are still in production and are some nice razors. Good luck and best of luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KayakDom

Post by KayakDom »

LookingGlass wrote:Kayak,

Welcome and please let us know if we can be of assistance.

The Fatboy is my favorite, all time razor and the one I use the most. Just a wonderfully engineered piece of hardware. I have acquired Muhles, Merkers, Parkers, and EJs and disposed of all.

My stable consists of a Fatboy, a Slim Adjustable SS, a Long Handle Black Adjustable SS, a 1947 SS (birth year :-({|=), and a 1958 Cavalcade of Sports SS with one Shick Krona for good measure.

If you get razor AD, which you most likely will, please look around at other vintage Gillette razors; IMHO they are the best of the best.

Ed
Thanks Looking Glass and cheers!
KayakDom

Post by KayakDom »

You guys were right! I just added a 1959 E-4 to my collection. I just love the vintage Gillettes. I got it as an ebay sniper at the last second for 1/2 what I paid for the first.
Now I am on the lookout for a Slim to add to my growing collection.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kayak, I think you shouldn't have much trouble finding a Slim on the BST forums at a price right around $24, give or take a couple of dollars.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KayakDom

Post by KayakDom »

brothers wrote:Kayak, I think you shouldn't have much trouble finding a Slim on the BST forums at a price right around $24, give or take a couple of dollars.
Thanks Gary! I will be on the look out.
Ronnie Aloha

Post by Ronnie Aloha »

I picked up my birth quarter Fatboy then had it Rhodium plated before using it. Now its too nice to use! LOL! I'll have to use it sometime soon. I wonder how different it is versus a Slim.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Fatboy was, I believe, the first proper adjustable DE Gillette came out with. The notion of an adjustable DE razor was continued with the slim and black handled super slim. I own one of each, and would say that the head profile gets flatter over time, making the newer products somewhat easier to maneuver around difficult areas such as under the nose and lower lip, chin, etc.
Wendell

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

My preference between the 2 was the Slim for the very reason you mention Wendell, the slimmer head. I never used a Super Adjustable. Now all of my adjustables are in mothballs and I only have pre '18 gillettes in the cabinet (for vintage DE) and they get used with shims. The pre '18s have the slimmest heads. They're like Ferraris compared to dump trucks. Of course that's my opinion.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
KayakDom

Post by KayakDom »

I have decided to have my new Fatboy re-chromed in black by Dave. For the $62, I think it will look very cool. Anyone had theirs re-plated or finished? Thoughts?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've had a number of razors replated. If it needs it for longevity for me it would be a no brainer. I've seen at least one black plated razor and it looked great.
Brian