Thater

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Thater

Post by brothers »

It took a while, but I finally ordered a Thater 4376/5 from SRD. I received it a few days ago, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I really like the Plexi handle. Click the image for a close-up.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Re: Thater

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Beautiful looking brush, Gary.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

that looks like a keeper

let us know your thoughts about it after you use it awhile

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Thater's the only brush I've used in the past 10 or more days since I got it. It's a natural born soap brush and I haven't had a chance to use it with a cream yet. I'm sure it shines in that area too. It's a gently firm 3 band and that's why I wanted it. I'd read that their 2 band brushes are considerably firm, and I don't prefer the noticably firmer brushes. It's soft and not noticeably scritchy. The price was fair, and overall I'm very happy with it. I have no complaints with it. I consider it an every day workhorse versatile top line brush, well built and quite a competent brush. Oh, maybe it gave up one loose hair when I first used it, but there's not any shedding.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

This brush was set aside for a while as I was using a couple of others that don't get much of my attention. Now it's calling my name again, and so it goes.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I love my Thater 4292/4. It feels exquisite.
Bryan
Pc4406

Post by Pc4406 »

I have a 4292/2 2 band and really like it a lot I was disappointed with the logo sticker on the bottom and no lettering on the side though. The vendor never showed a picture of the current offering. I'm glad I got the brush but not very pleased with the changed appearance.
Patrick
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's starting to impress me as almost ideal size and other important specs.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Now I am interested in buying one....
Jack
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'd be interested in comparisons with the Shavemac 163:
http://www.shavemac.com/products/Shavin ... adger.html
Like the handle on both.
Ron
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

A real beauty...love the shape of the handle,a vintage look with a fantastic knot..
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's a photo of my Rooney Finest knot that Bernd mounted in this beautiful plexi Shavemac handle. I really like the way it feels while I'm using it.

Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yeah, that's the brush that got me re-interested in plexi handles. For me, 24/50 or 25/52 would be preferred for this type brush. I like the Thaters but can't choose between 23mm and 26mm, with much higher lofting. I'd guess I'm pretty well locked in to those choices with that brand. I haven't contacted Bernd yet to find out how much customizing I can actually get away with on the Shavemac. In any event, this style brush is number three on my to-get list, but it keeps popping up in threads here and there, threatening to jump to the top.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

marsos52 wrote:that looks like a keeper

let us know your thoughts about it after you use it awhile

marc
I've been using the Thater now, on and off, for about 3 months. The tips of the hairs are starting to have tiny curls, they're so soft. It's not too large, not a lather hog, but it does generate a good volume of thick lather and holds it until the time comes to give it up.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning was the Thater's turn. The longer I use it, the better I like it. Loaded on the soap for about 15 seconds, made a great lather with my hard extremely hot tap water. The slightly curved tips make it certain that it's absolutely soft on the face. No scritchiness whatsoever, and the abundant lather is released as needed, no hogging or floppiness either. Whenever I use it, I remember how helpful Don (Straight Razor Designs) was when I was trying to decide which one I wanted. He even communicated with Thater on my behalf. This is one heck of an excellent brush.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Yes Thater's are work horses. I have 4125/1 2band silvertip and gosh is amazing everyday brush for soap or cream. I face lather with him and it kick out rest of my brushes from bathroom. Now I use rest brushes only one weekend in month that's how good it is for me.
Jack
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If only Thater would put one of their 2-band bulbs in a 4376 handle . . .
They've done so with the 49125 style plexi, but that's still only available overseas.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ron, if you call or email SRD, Don might be able to ask Mr. Thater if he can get one for you. It wouldn't hurt to ask! :D
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gary, I contacted both SRD and Royal Shave about this last year. Neither company wanted to have anything to do with special ordering from Thater. I don't know what was behind their reasoning, but it was definitely a cold shoulder response. I also suggested such a brush as an LE on one of the shaving forums and got a similar reaction. It's a shame since I can see this being a popular choice for wetshavers.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, that's a shame. Where there's a will, there's usually a way. You mention it's available on other continents, so now I'm thinking maybe a fellow forum member who has access to those foreign markets will be quite happy to help you out. What do you think?
Gary