Further Evidence of the Death of Civilization

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Further Evidence of the Death of Civilization

Post by M6Classic »

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber

It may be time to repent...obviously, the end is near.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Further Evidence of the Death of Civilization

Post by Squire »

I have not yet begun to fight.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Synthetic brushes are excellent shaving tools in the eyes of those who use them in an objective way. It's natural for us to feel frustration over the things we can't change, or, over changes we are powerless to stop. We should use the brushes that work for us, and so should everyone else.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote:Synthetic brushes are excellent shaving tools in the eyes of those who use them in an objective way. It's natural for us to feel frustration over the things we can't change, or, over changes we are powerless to stop. We should use the brushes that work for us, and so should everyone else.
Repent or not, its up to the individual. Based on this evidence, I for one am preparing for the looming apocalypse...ignore the omens at your peril.

Buzz
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes, Plisson has had synthetic brushes for awhile. They are thought of quite highly. I understand that they are bit floppier and more badgerlike than other synthetics. For some reason synthetic manufacturers have it in mind that synthetic should mimic badger. I don't understand that, but it appears to be so. Maybe it's because users compare them to badger. I don't understand that either.

I tried to buy one 2 months ago from the site you linked to but it didn't like me and wouldn't take my $.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Buzz I remain unrepentant in my Invictus stance.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire wrote:Buzz I remain unrepentant in my Invictus stance.
That sounds like something I would expect to hear from a lawyer. :P

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Murray most lawyers I've met would rather talk about college football than a literary reference.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire, I saw Invictus as secondary to unrepentant.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I stand corrected.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

CMur12 wrote:Squire, I saw Invictus as secondary to unrepentant.

- Murray
I saw Invictus and quite enjoyed it ..... the movie that is. :wink:

Seriously, these are nice looking brushes at a pretty decent price. The one el-cheapo synthetic that I own is a great travel brush as it dries so readily after use, and works more than adequately for a 2 pass shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

If this is what the end looks like, we’ll be just fine. Has anyone actually used this brush, or just assume it’s inferior to badger a priori?

I’ve been using the L’Occitane version for several weeks now. It sits next to a Simpsons Chubby 2, Polo 8 (both Super), and size 12 Plisson EW, all 2-band. Objectively, I’m not certain at this point that I could justify any of those over the synthetic, nor have I been itching to use any of them. There is nothing in particular that the badgers do better than this synthetic. In fact, the synthetic even has that distinctive Plisson “DNA” in that it’s soft and yet has surprising backbone. At $55, it’s a revelation.

Another thought, while I understand the romance of the natural brush, the Plisson offers another unique advantage: consistency. Every one of them should be identical, eliminating the trials and tribulations of the variation in natural brushes.

No, the rapture isn't upon us (now, that Gillette Flex-ball razor abomination is another story..............).

Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

SteveK wrote:If this is what the end looks like, we’ll be just fine. Has anyone actually used this brush, or just assume it’s inferior to badger a priori? Steve
It's just dictum (in the spirit of using latin). :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

The end will come when Plisson offers a High Mountain Plastic in plexi.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The Plisson synthetic brings to mind the Kent BK4, what with its soft tips, compliant backbone, and lather-generating ability. The new versions with the traditional Plisson acetate handle rival the Kent in quality. It's a great option for wetshavers.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or for cleaning a shotgun.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

There was a time when I wouldn't have touched a synthetic brush with a 10-foot pole, mainly driven by the uninspiring performance of the cheap synthetic Omega brushes available at that time.

I became curious again when Mühle introduced their Silvertip Fibre brushes to raving reviews and have been very pleased with the performance and handling of mine so far. The performance is close enough to some of my "real" silvertips, and a great benefit for a frequent traveller like me is the fact that synthetic brushes dry so easily.

In fact, I have been so pleased that I recently ordered the Silvertip Fibre XL (25 mm loft) version, which like the 21 mm predecessor did not disappoint.

Not sure whether synthetics will one day overtake boar or badger brushes; maybe it's all heading the way of the toothbrush where hardly anybody today would think of buying a toothbrush that is not synthetic.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Gene

Post by Gene »

I thought that the acetate horn imitation was quite pretty.

But - the knot of my Crabtree & Evelyn BBB just pulled out cleanly (it had started shedding and was out of the rotation anyway) - and that might be the best handle for a new knot for a travel brush.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Ride the decline!

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

EL Alamein wrote:Ride the decline!

Chris
For those who have courage and confidence the fun part of roller coasters is the descent. After the run, the next run starts. Those who love the ride will ride again. 8)
Gary