DR Harris Sandalwood Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Steve

DR Harris Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Post by Steve »

So I finally ordered DR Harris Sandalwood Shaving Soap. I was a little hesitant because some users said the scent could be a little stronger and I love strong scents! I was pleasantly surprised that I liked the scent and it's strong enough for me.

When I started shaving in the 60's, I used a Gillette double edge razor and Super Stainless Steel blades, known as "The Spoiler". I also used Gillette Foamy and I loved the scent. I haven't used Foamy in a very long time so I don't know what it smells like today but Harris Sandalwood smells like Gillette Foamy smelled, back in the day. It also smells like the old Body Shop "Woodsy Sandalwood" Shaving Cream but in a much more pleasant and refreshing way.

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: DR Harris Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Post by Squire »

Harris has a way with scents, I'll give them that.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

I like Harris very much; be it the classic lavender and recently introduced sandalwood scents, or the Arlington, Windsor and Marlborough lines.
The scents are subtle; in fact, with a cold I am sometimes struggling to tell which one is which.

Be that as it may, as hard soaps are not the forte of English perfumers, I rank Harris among the best there is.

But newcomers to Harris, who are more used to the overpowering force of Proraso and the like, may find Harris or Taylor of Old Bond Street scents weak.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Subtle is a good descriptor here.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Marlborough was my DRH favorite until Sandalwood came along. So now I have two Harris favorites. I have found the new Sandalwood scent and strength to be just right for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

D.R. Harris soaps are some of the best I've ever used. I was very keen to try the new sandalwood since I have a puck of Arlington that has become a favorite.
One other thing I like about the DRH soaps is that they're offered in shaving stick form - I love shave sticks, especially shave sticks with tallow, and the sandalwood was no disappointment. As an added bonus, the DRH twist-up containers will fit a refill of Speik soap perfectly - another lovely soap with tallow.
disengage