Adding a new Razor need advice Muhle R89 or R89 twist

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Bozack

Adding a new Razor need advice Muhle R89 or R89 twist

Post by Bozack »

Hello all,

So I am looking to add a new razor, I currently have a Merkur 34c HD and am looking for a Muhle, originally I wanted the 106 but feel the R89 looks a bit nicer to me, but now I wonder if I am better off going classic size or with the new two piece twist.

Didn't know if anyone had experience with both sizes and could share their thoughts, unfortunately I don't have anywhere locally to do a comparison, best I could do was the 106 and the 89 Grande but still couldn't tell if the classic was more versatile or if I liked the larger handle of the grande.

Any thoughts, opinions or images appreciated.

Thanks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Adding a new Razor need advice Muhle R89 or R89 twist

Post by Squire »

Hey Bozack, welcome aboard. For my use I prefer a longer handle such as the Schick Krona or Gillette Super Slim Adjustable, both of which are unfortunately unavailable except as vintage models. My preferences are not based on specific models though, rather a longer handle gives me more leverage and I find them easier to control. I'm actually more interested in the handle than I am the blade gap/angle.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Bozack wrote:Hello all,

So I am looking to add a new razor, I currently have a Merkur 34c HD and am looking for a Muhle, originally I wanted the 106 but feel the R89 looks a bit nicer to me, but now I wonder if I am better off going classic size or with the new two piece twist.

Didn't know if anyone had experience with both sizes and could share their thoughts, unfortunately I don't have anywhere locally to do a comparison, best I could do was the 106 and the 89 Grande but still couldn't tell if the classic was more versatile or if I liked the larger handle of the grande.

Any thoughts, opinions or images appreciated.

Thanks

First of all, there is no size difference between the R89 and R106, the R89 Twist is at best a few millimeters longer; only the Grande sticks out with a beefier handle.
Workmanship on Mühles is far superior to Dovo, which had always been my beef with my Dovos (Futur and 38C).

I consider the (about 95mm/3¾" total height) R89/R41 family close to the "classic" Gillette size that I am used to from my vintage DEs, while the Grande is more Dovo 38C size, which appears to have become the current norm size for many.
If you look at the chrome ring at the bottom of the R89 handle and take that width 1½ times that is how much longer the Grande is.

Mühle produces only two head variations; closed comb (R89, R106 and R107 style) and open comb (R41, R101 and R102 style). Heads are interchangeable and may be purchased separately, so you can turn an R89 into an R41, and v.v.

Available handles are chrome, rose gold, black, white and of course Twist and Grande.

My own Mühle is the R101 (R41 with black handle) that serves me extremely well and has essentially become my only DE razor; so don't fall prey to all the scare-mongering ("The Beast" come on guys - reality check please!) that goes on on some Internet sites.
My open comb Mühle provides me smooth and comfortable shave without any blood-letting on a near straight razor level.

If you should decide to go for the open comb and should find it too agressive for you liking, pm me and I'll exchange your open comb head for an unused closed comb (R89) head that I have left lying around from the days when I wanted to turn my lone remaining R106 into an R101 and my dealer ordered by mistake a closed comb replacement head.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

The choices seem to fall into two groups, classic handle or grande, and closed comb or open. I have the R89 head and the R41. I formerly had a classic handle, but foolishly sold it, then I bought the R41 Grande. I like the looks and feel of the Grande. I also can report close and smooth results from the R41, even though it isn't currently in my small group of rotation razors. The R41 is considered somewhat more aggressive by some of the guys. When I first got mine a few years ago I was careless and blamed it on the R41 instead of my own poor technique. You might consider getting both (I hope this doesn't sound facetious, I'm not trying to be flippant). This way you can gain the whole personal experience, then decide, over time, which one or which combo gives you the best results. Or you might just keep them both. The R41 head might call for close attention to technique, but once that's been addressed and you have gained a bit of muscle memory, it'll become second nature. I wish you good luck with your new acquisition.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have the classic 89 and the 2 piece twist 89. Personally, I prefer the classic design best.
The twist is a little bit bulkier and seems to shave more aggressively than the classic.
I have a couple of the chrome classics and one black, and I find myself shaving more with the black one.
I don't have an 89 grande but if I wanted a longer handle I would choose the grande 89 over the twist 89.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Bozack

Post by Bozack »

hey thanks all

I hadn't given the open comb style much thought as I have enough challenges with feathers in my 34c and prefer a more mild experience plus I am getting back into it as I spent a long time away with a Fusion.

I checked out the grande in the AOS store and it seemed a little too large for me at first blush, I will prob try and swing by again. I remember thinking my 34c was too small when I got that but in retrospect I like how I can hold the razor now when I have to shave either against or across the grain, not sure if I can pull that off with a longer and thicker handle.

I also thought of the black handle vs the chrome, but something about the chrome looks good to me.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Well, the difference between the R89 and the R89 twist is mainly the fact that the twist is a 2 piece razor. There is no possibility of an easy handle swap with another razor.

That said, I own a Mühle R41 twist and it is a favorite of mine. I really think that handle swapping is the only real consideration regarding your choice of twist or don't twist.

As regards other considerations - the world of more aggressive razors looms ahead. I would be willing to bet that there are few DE converts who didn't eventually long for a more aggressive razor. I find that I'm using shims in my milder razors to get them to be more aggressive.

Just food for thought; The twist two-piece is not able to switch handles with other razors, but still, gotta say I love my Mühle R41 twist.
disengage
Bozack

Post by Bozack »

Hey Biff, so I thought the twist models were larger, similar in size to the grande models, and not smaller like the classic styles.

Don't get me wrong, a part of me likes the twist design being a two piece and all, I have no real desire to swap handles, but the size is what I am concerned with as I don't want it to feel too large.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Hey Bozak -

Are you open to considering a different line of thought? Parker has recently upped their game substantially. The 24C and 26C are open comb razors that are very gentle on the face and simultaneously very efficient at removing whiskers. Heads are the same on both models. The only difference is that the 24C has a chrome handle while the 26C has black handle. They are made of brass -- the real deal -- and (at about $29) significantly less costly than Muhle. Don't get me wrong. This is not Muhle-trashing. I had the R89 and it was OK. For my particular face, however, the Parker open combs simply do a better job.

Food for thought. Good luck.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

You are correct about the relative sizes -- The twist and the Grande are fatter and longer than the standard length handle on Mühles.
The relative sizes are:

Mühle standard

length 3 1/2" 87mm
diameter 1/2" 13mm

Mühle Grande

length 3 7/8" 100mm
diameter 9/16" 15mm

Mühle twist handle is the same size as the Grande. However, the twist outweighs the Grande by several grams. Both razors have a fine heft to them and for me the balance is perfect (neither head nor tail heavy).
disengage