Frivolous ADA Lawsuits

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
BullGoose
Vendor

Frivolous ADA Lawsuits

Post by BullGoose »

This past Wednesday (4/12/23) I was served with a civil lawsuit seeking $25,000 in damages due to my website supposedly not being ADA Compliant. The current version of my website was launched merely six months ago and the developers emphasized that it would meet all ADA requirements so my spidey senses started tingling immediately.

I'm fortunate to have a private investigator as a good friend as well as a few lawyer friends. In digging into this, we discovered that the plaintiff is a serial litigator who has 188 ADA lawsuits. It seemed odd that he was filing all of these lawsuits Pro-se (without a lawyer) so we dug a little deeper. The plaintiff is tied to a dis-barred lawyer (he embezzled client funds) who is acting as the puppet master. This dis-barred lawyer has a handful of disabled clients that he uses to file all of these lawsuits. The lawsuits are cookie cutter lawsuits and all are aimed at websites and not physical locations. They seek $25,000 in damages with a settlement of $4,000. For this client alone (and there are several other clients) the total settlement amount for the 188 cases would be $752,000.

What's perhaps even more interesting is this particular plaintiff seems especially interested in shaving websites, barbershop websites and cigar shop websites that are based in Los Angeles County. The day after I was served, the Shaver Shop down the street from me was also served. Although they do have a physical store, the suit filed against them was also for their website and not the physical store.

I have hired a specialty law firm and intend to fight this rather than settle. Someone needs to draw a line in the sand.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
kronos9

Re: Frivolous ADA Lawsuits

Post by kronos9 »

Counter sue his ass for million$. Strong opinion to follow.
Ed
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

kronos9 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:43 pm Counter sue his ass for million$. Strong opinion to follow.
We definitely plan on going after him. My lawyer has several clients who have been sued by this same guy.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good for you, Phil!

It's really discouraging to see the ever-increasing pursuit of ill-gotten gains. I'm sorry that you have become a target.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

A regrettable misuse of the courts. What kind of a judge would entertain hearing such a case. Rhetorical question of course. Meanwhile the defendants are looking at legal fees of at least $4000 just to get it thrown out. If the court eventually orders the plaintiffs to reimburse the successful defendants' legal fees they can't pay because they are broke. B.S.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm sorry to hear of this, Phil, and hope you whip them properly.

How does a website have to be ADA compliant? Big type for visually impaired? That sounds as daft as saying all books must be in large print.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:54 pm Good for you, Phil!

It's really discouraging to see the ever-increasing pursuit of ill-gotten gains. I'm sorry that you have become a target.

- Murray
Thank you Murray! It certainly seems as if this kind of thing has become a lot more common since the Pandemic.

- Phil
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

brothers wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:20 pm A regrettable misuse of the courts. What kind of a judge would entertain hearing such a case. Rhetorical question of course. Meanwhile the defendants are looking at legal fees of at least $4000 just to get it thrown out. If the court eventually orders the plaintiffs to reimburse the successful defendants' legal fees they can't pay because they are broke. B.S.
Yes, that is it in a nutshell. We hope to be able to go after the dis-barred lawyer who is directing the whole scheme.

- Phil
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:38 am I'm sorry to hear of this, Phil, and hope you whip them properly.

How does a website have to be ADA compliant? Big type for visually impaired? That sounds as daft as saying all books must be in large print.

C.
Thank you Dr. Moss. The requirements for websites to be ADA compliant have gotten way out of hand. For instance, you have to be careful of the colors you use so that it does not impact the color blind or those with epilepsy. If you have any videos on the site, they have to have closed captioning for the deaf. Any picture must have alt tags so that screen readers can read a description of the photo. The list of requirements goes on and on. It is virtually impossible for a non-static site to be 100% ADA compliant.

- Phil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Is it worth approaching the local media with any of this?

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:13 am Is it worth approaching the local media with any of this?

C.
I have thought about that and it may very well be worth it. It's a pretty interesting story and affects a lot of businesses in the area. A good investigative reporter could no doubt uncover even more layers to this scheme.

- Phil
Gene

Post by Gene »

I worked for a company quite some time ago that had something similar happen - We were sued over a supposed patent infringement. They were called patent trolls (and this was years before social media) - they would buy up patents (somehow) and then scour current technology for features currently being offered that might have been covered by an old patent. They sued big and settled quick.

Best of luck - hope you can bloody them up a bit.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

One may presume that the plaintiffs and/ or their advocates have carefully chosen their venue beforehand based on the voter politics and judicial leanings of the current appointees who may influence the outcomes. We shouldn't get our hopes up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Is this the same guy who bought up the domain names for a bunch of the older wetshaving vendors and then showed them the door? IIRC, he took Vintage Blades, Classic Shaving, Straight Razor Designs, and a few others. Or a different vulture?
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

TRBeck wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:45 pm Is this the same guy who bought up the domain names for a bunch of the older wetshaving vendors and then showed them the door? IIRC, he took Vintage Blades, Classic Shaving, Straight Razor Designs, and a few others. Or a different vulture?
This is a different vulture. There apparently is no shortage.

- Phil
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Gene wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:22 am I worked for a company quite some time ago that had something similar happen - We were sued over a supposed patent infringement. They were called patent trolls (and this was years before social media) - they would buy up patents (somehow) and then scour current technology for features currently being offered that might have been covered by an old patent. They sued big and settled quick.

Best of luck - hope you can bloody them up a bit.
Thank you Gene! I hope that we can as well.

- Phil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

BullGoose wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:45 pm
TRBeck wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:45 pm Is this the same guy who bought up the domain names for a bunch of the older wetshaving vendors and then showed them the door? IIRC, he took Vintage Blades, Classic Shaving, Straight Razor Designs, and a few others. Or a different vulture?
Sorry to hear it, Phil. Fight the good fight! I'll keep doing my part to keep you in business.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

TRBeck wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:52 am
BullGoose wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:45 pm
Sorry to hear it, Phil. Fight the good fight! I'll keep doing my part to keep you in business.
Thank you Tim! I appreciate it.

- Phil
brothers

Post by brothers »

From what I've seen so far it appears to be someone in the shaving goods and services market who wants to chase the competition out of town so they can scoop up the business. Otherwise they would be going after each and every website anywhere and everywhere in the realm of the ADA. If they're sincere - they're not - they would be busy filing a blanket complaint to the appropriate authorities against all "websites". They are contemptible. Phil, it makes me sad to see this happening. This is just wrong in so many ways.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Perhaps the complainant is working on behalf of Gary's postulated owner, and the disbarred lawyer is just an advisor.

We should look for the one online store that has not been sued, or was and immediately settled.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace