Lathering with Mild Shampoo in place of shaving cream or soa

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
phule

Lathering with Mild Shampoo in place of shaving cream or soa

Post by phule »

Has any lathered their face with mild shampoo prior to shaving in place of shaving cream or soap??
Bob
Blue As A Jewel

Re: Lathering with Mild Shampoo in place of shaving cream or

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

phule wrote:Has any lathered their face with mild shampoo prior to shaving in place of shaving cream or soap??
Have you?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

No, but I have used hair conditioner as a pre-shave treatment.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

No, but I have used one of those moisturizing body washes and I could shave without any cream it was so slick.
Only tried it a few times though.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You could do it. Regular shampoo is maybe not slippery enough to get a good shave out of. Try it, shave carefully, and report back!
phule

Post by phule »

notthesharpest wrote:You could do it. Regular shampoo is maybe not slippery enough to get a good shave out of. Try it, shave carefully, and report back!
When my barber would shave me, I always got a great shave. After lathering my face (applying with a brush) with the shampoo, he just took one carefull pass with the razor. Then he'd rub his moistened hand all over my face to find any few whiskers that he missed. He'd lightly trim those off and voila, he'd be finished.

I don't recall him ever nicking me or drawing blood. I asked him about this once and he said he'd been shaving with a straight razor since he was twelve. He's now in his late 60s, still going strong, and is the founder/owner of Holyfield Winery.
Last edited by phule on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Back before I discovered this site, and shave brushes and DE razors, (not to mention str8's and Feathers), I used to shave with regular soap or shampoo and a Mach 3 or what ever razor was on hand. And I did this all in the dark since I have to be up between 4:00 and 5:00 to go to work (depends on if I play racquetball that morning).
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I feel different about cartridge razors. With a Mach 3 I shaved with bath soap, in the shower, with my eyes closed. :roll:
Hawkish

Post by Hawkish »

Not sure about the whole shampoo thing -- the stuff is designed to remove oil and dirt from hair. I'd think oil is something you'd want to help lubricate the skin...?

Adam
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Guys all over the world get top notch shaves without using all the lotions and potions we use. They use soap or water or foam or gel or whatever and some get great shaves, all the time. I know many guys like that.