Pics lathering Trumper Almond....

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

It's the LATHER!

Post by guenron »

Hi Joel,
I really believe that the larger, denser brushes make better lather and do it more easily that their smaller brethern, except with AOS... :)
Regards,
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joel, Excellent photos. Hytham's difficulty is most mysterious. I've lathered up Trumper creams in different ways, and with brushes much less impressive then that Shavemac, and always got very fine lather, no problemo. Did the person who you got that Trumper's Almond from, say what his problem was? Did you and he ever figure out why he wasn't getting good results? It's very difficult for me to understand how one could whip up good lather with T&H cream, and yet not be able to do so with Trumpers, unless the Trumpers was dehydrated. Very strange. Regards, Gordon
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

I can't get a lather worth a damn with the QED soaps. Its just how the cookie crumbles.
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

clarkkent333 wrote:I can't get a lather worth a damn with the QED soaps. Its just how the cookie crumbles.
For what its worth Clark, I coudlnt either before but it took some adjustment to learn how to. Also, the shave sticks may be more your thing b/c they truly generate lather much easier, just swipe all over face and go at it with a brush.
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

hedonist wrote:
clarkkent333 wrote:I can't get a lather worth a damn with the QED soaps. Its just how the cookie crumbles.
For what its worth Clark, I coudlnt either before but it took some adjustment to learn how to. Also, the shave sticks may be more your thing b/c they truly generate lather much easier, just swipe all over face and go at it with a brush.
I could get a good lather but I just had to use a lot of the soap. Its because the water is so damn hard here in Broward. I have the same problems with a lot of soaps and even some creams. Takes way too much product to hold up so its not worth it in the end. But if I ever move Ill be all over those QED's.
hedonist

Post by hedonist »

clarkkent333 wrote:
hedonist wrote:
I could get a good lather but I just had to use a lot of the soap. Its because the water is so damn hard here in Broward. I have the same problems with a lot of soaps and even some creams. Takes way too much product to hold up so its not worth it in the end. But if I ever move Ill be all over those QED's.
I hear you about the hard water, really sucks :x
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Out of all the Trumpers samples I recieved a while back, for some reason I found the almond lathered best....I foound the rose & violet gave a better shave, but they were kinda runny...
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

I was thinking exactly the same thing as several of you, hard water. The water where I live is about as hard as it gets. Because of that, my lathers are no where near as copious as those of you who clearly have softer water. I believe that water hardness is one of the most important factors in the amount of lather one can build from a set amount of cream, technique etc being equal.

Thanks.

I can't believe that this is post 100 already.
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

Joel,

Didnt you get a tub of Trumper's almond from me in a trade?

Regardless, i've always found their almond easy to lather. I've had a couple of tubs given to me recently, its a popular gifting scent. For years I had a sad little CM brush but I could always get a face full of dense lather with it. I think its a great beginners cream, if there is such a thing.

Graham
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

Gents, I have always had a problem with hard water and while I could get a good lather, I had to work at it . I have found that Baking Soda helps in making a fuller more fluffy lather. I usually put about half a teaspoon in a small cereal bowl that has hot tap water in it. I stir it around a couple of times and soak my brush in it for a minute or two. Take my brush out give it a quick flick over the sink and start making lather in my usual small soup bowl with a handle. This has made a big difference in lather making. I have not seen any ill effects on my brush. Baking Soda is cheap so if it doesn't perform to your liking, it won't hurt the old wallet.
Joey