Why use witch hazel?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DavidB

Why use witch hazel?

Post by DavidB »

I've seen some posts asking about which witch hazel is best. My questions are more basic: what is witch hazel, and why use it?

It sounds like it's an aftershave. I currently use Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm, and it works well for me. But does witch hazel do something different than the Nivea does?

Dave
Stainless_persona

Post by Stainless_persona »

Witch Hazel is an all natural skin toner/astringent which to the best of my knowledge, deep cleans and tightens the pores in the skin. The only one I have found, which is called "Dickensons witch Hazel" is 14 some-odd percent alcohol. But the idea is to get an alcohol free skin toner and aftershave product. So unless Thayers brand witch hazel is alcohol free I'd say go to the store and get an alcohol free skin toner and some cotton pads. It really does give a nice finish to the skin. Maybe somebody else can chime in with a more detailed answer... does thayers have alcohol in it?
Chris
timc

Post by timc »

Thayer's does have alcohol free products. For instance, Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

"Finish to the skin" eh? I've seen some nicely groomed guys whose shaven faces do have a sort of "finished" look. Wonder if this may be a contributor.

Do you use witch hazel instead of an aftershave balm (e.g., Nivea)? Or in conjunction with (before or after)?

Another thread on SMF noted that Whole Foods carries a variety of Thayer's witch hazels.

Dave
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Here's a whole list of Thayers witch hazels, some with alcohol and some without.
paddy

Post by paddy »

i've often wondered about witch hazel as well - does it not really dry out your skin, esp in winter? or do you use moisturizer/balm on top afterwards?

paddy
Stainless_persona

The ideal skincare formula is
1)exfoliate
2)cleanse
3)Tone
4)Moisturize
But doing all that is alot of work, and the exfoliating part should only be done 2 to 3 times per week. So having said that, abd keeping in consideration that shaving in itself is a type of exfoliation, you can customize that routine to your own needs. For example, I usually shave, either throw on an aftershave or use a toner, and then apply an aftershave balm. So my answer is yes, you tone and put a moisturizer or balm on top of that.
Chris
lovetoshave

Post by lovetoshave »

Stainless_persona wrote:The ideal skincare formula is
1)exfoliate
2)cleanse
3)Tone
4)Moisturize
But doing all that is alot of work, and the exfoliating part should only be done 2 to 3 times per week. So having said that, abd keeping in consideration that shaving in itself is a type of exfoliation, you can customize that routine to your own needs. For example, I usually shave, either throw on an aftershave or use a toner, and then apply an aftershave balm. So my answer is yes, you tone and put a moisturizer or balm on top of that.
Do you know if rubbing the Alum block on your face after shaving is the same as toning?
Stainless_persona

nope, I keep hearing about these alum blocks but I have no idea what it is and how its used!
Chris
Bob

Post by Bob »

The alum block has an astringent effect. If you rub it across your face after shaving, your pores will close and your face will have a "tight" feeling. Be aware that it may sting, as well, if your face is irritated from shaving.

An alum block can also be used as a styptic to stop bleeding.

Some folks like to use them everyday. I'm not such a big fan, but I do use one occasionally.
--Bob--
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Scroll down at this post and you can read a fair amount about the alum block and its use. You rub it on your wet (rinsed) face where you shaved.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I've never tried thayers, but I use the kind that costs about 1.00 for a bottle at the drugstore and it looks like the same bottle as they use for rubbing alcohol. It works pretty good.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I've never tried the alum block though, but my face doesn't like any kind of rubbing after im done shaving (even asb's)
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

i use a/f thayers followed (after the thayers is mostly dry) by a high quality moisturizer - it's the best "aftershave" i've ever used. stops any shave irritation that may be coming dead in its tracks and leaves my face feeling good.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The alum bar doesn't really rub your wet face---it really just glides over it, leaving a refreshed feeling in its wake. Totally nonabrasive.

Post by 2 »

+1 on the Alum bar. I have pretty sensitive skin and it tolerates the Alum bar just fine.

Its very soothing. A tiny bit painful on the areas I might have shaved too close, but in a good way.

I love the alum bar.

I even started trying it as a deoderant. Works well for that too.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

Do they sell the alum bars at the drugstore?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Don't know. You can ask. Also try a beauty shop. Or order one from Mama Bear, who also sells a nice wooden rack for it. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page of shaving soaps.)
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

I rarely use witch hazel strictly as an aftershave, but the Thayers I have is 10% alcohol and really doesn't sting or dry me out. Of course our goal is to get away from alcohol spashes, but I don't think we have to run away from every product that has alcohol in it.
rosicrux

Post by rosicrux »

I use a nice soothing gel by Jason that I mainly got for the Tea Tree Oil, but it also has a large component of witch hazel. It is alcohol free. You can get it at most grocery stores in the organic sections.

middle one here:
http://www.jason-natural.com/products/sun_aloe_tea.php