tarnished blade

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
dentaquet

tarnished blade

Post by dentaquet »

hello!
I just bought a cut-throat and I'm trying to clean it up from rust, oxydation, etc. Given its bit possible to shave with this (needs to be sharpened, and in belgium, no one seems to want to do this, and the products are not available anymore), I try to make it shine to sell it to somebody else...

I tried numerous products (vinegar&salt, coca-cola, bleach) to wipe all the stains. Now they are gone, but the steel is completely tarnished. there was an inscription on the blade and its 50% gone. Waht should I try to make this blade glitter asnew?

regards,
denis-belgium
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Don't get rid of it just yet. If you can't find any answers here, try over at the Straightrazorplace.com Forums There is a section devoted to razor cleaning and restoration. I know some of the members there also have forum accounts here... maybe one of them will spot this thread and give you some tips.

Apologies if recommending another forum is an ethics violation here.