Scrubby, medium size, Face lathering soap brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
doleeo

Scrubby, medium size, Face lathering soap brush

Post by doleeo »

Well, I told my self I'd stay away from this forum to avoid SBAD but, the bug has bit me. I'm starting to get into soaps and my SMF III really isn't cutting it for me. I love it for creams but it isn't worth it for soaps.

What I'm looking for is a decently sized (knot of 22-25mm), scrubby (not scratchy like my C&E best), brush for face lathering.

Anyone got any recommendations?
-Ethan
yomuppet

Re: Scrubby, medium size, Face lathering soap brush

Post by yomuppet »

doleeo wrote:Well, I told my self I'd stay away from this forum to avoid SBAD but, the bug has bit me. I'm starting to get into soaps and my SMF III really isn't cutting it for me. I love it for creams but it isn't worth it for soaps.

What I'm looking for is a decently sized (knot of 22-25mm), scrubby (not scratchy like my C&E best), brush for face lathering.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Rooney Style 3 Small (22mm) Silvertip ($65) or Super ($75). If you like a slightly fatter/shorter handle, Style 1 instead. The tips are quite soft on these, with good backbone and excellent density.

Regards.

J
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rooney style 1, bristle grade of what you're willing to pay.
Regards,
Squire
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Rooney Style 1/1 or 1/2, Simpson Tulip2 or Rooney Heritage Stubby 1 or 2
Chris
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

I was looking at the Stubby 1. It looks like a winner

What about the chubbys from simpson?
-Ethan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I have just enough experience with a Chubby to have a simi informed sort of half way opinion. I think its too stiff for me.
Regards,
Squire
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

My Chubby 2 in best is the brush I dream about at night... Ok, not really, but it is exactly what you are looking for IMHO. I cannot praise it enough. One small issue for some is the shape of the handle. It is not for the small of hand. Neither scritchy nor scratchy, but scrubby. Resilient. Just perfect.

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I believe Shawn's opinion is better informed.
Regards,
Squire
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

doleeo wrote:I was looking at the Stubby 1. It looks like a winner

What about the chubbys from simpson?
Stubby 1 is great if you're willing to spend that much, it will perform similar to Rooney Finest, purportedly a bit denser than the Simpson Chubby.

The Chubby is the flagship Simpson, however, so if you're going to get a Simpson that's a good one to get. Best of luck.

J
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I'll second the comments about the Stubby. My Stubby 2 has all the backbone I can handle with none of the scritch.

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
levente

Post by levente »

I would heartily recommend a Simpson Duke 3 in Best.

Regards,
Basil
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

Right now I'm leaning towards the Rooney 3/1 in super in ebony due to the price.

Is the extra money really worth it for a simpson?
-Ethan
Sando

Post by Sando »

I will add my vote for the Duke 3 Best. It does a fantastic job with soaps when face lathering. No slouch with creams either.
...Ray
Pen-in-Hand

Re: Scrubby, medium size, Face lathering soap brush

Post by Pen-in-Hand »

yomuppet wrote: Rooney Style 3 Small (22mm) Silvertip ($65) or Super ($75). If you like a slightly fatter/shorter handle, Style 1 instead. The tips are quite soft on these, with good backbone and excellent density.

Regards.

J
+1

This is one of the jack-of-all-trade brushes, good on the face, in the bowl, soaps, creams. In Super, will be soft on the face.

The Chubby and the Duke, IMHO, are for soaps lathering on the face. Awesone for that, but are they worth the money? Each to his taste.
Jay

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, just my usual suspects; a Simpson Duke #3 or similiar....a Chubby #1 Best certainly. The Rooney Heritage models with shorter lofts also, if you want to spend a bit more. The Emillion I have is excellent for your purposes certainly.
Regards,
Gordon
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

I'd say Rooney Heritage Stubby Medium (2), but it is a little pricey compared to some other options.

-Dan
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

alabamalawyer wrote:Rooney Style 1/1 or 1/2, Simpson Tulip2 or Rooney Heritage Stubby 1 or 2
Good suggestions, particularly in Rooney's medium size range. I have the Style 1, medium in finest and the Heritage Stubby medium. These are incredibly dense but soft brushes. The T2 is also a fine brush, but not quite as dense as the others, IMO.
Lynn
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

DUKE 3 in Best badger by Simpson no doubt....best brush I have owned and I have owned a few....
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

Decisions, decisions......

As of right now I'm picking between a Rooney 3/1 in super or a Simpsons Duke 3 in pure. Does anyone have any experience with Simpsons pure grade hair?

I'm leaning towards the Rooney at the moment but I've still yet to make up my mind. Anyone got any suggestions?

I also noticed that Lee @ leesrazors has some new Vulfix brushes that are made especially for soaps. Anyone got any experience with those?
-Ethan
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

My personal opinion is that if you honestly like scrubby, Rooney Super is not going to do it for you. I think a Rooney small Finest would be ideal, but that's too expensive. Otherwise, a Duke 3, probably? Not sure about the pure hair, though - no experience, and haven't seen much.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....