Bad Batch of Merkur Blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
UsherLincoln

Bad Batch of Merkur Blades?

Post by UsherLincoln »

Gents,

I stopped off at the Art of Shaving late last week and finally got around to picking up a Merkur Progress. I'm not big on adjustable razors, but the curiosity was really building up for the Progress. The salesman was kind enough to throw in a batch of Merkur blades. I've had great shaves with these blades in the past, but when I went to use these "freebies" I almost tore my face up. This morning was full of pulling and tugging, with no slicing to be found. I ended up having to change out blades half way through.

Has anyone else experienced a bad batch of Merkurs lately?

Oh, and if you haven't tried combining eShave Cucumber aftershave with Coral Skin Food, I definitely recommend it. It soothes and moisturizes very well for me, but ymmv depending on skin type. I definitely needed it this morning though.

Thanks for your input guys.
-Lincoln

"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee..."
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Re: Bad Batch of Merkur Blades?

Post by Racso_MS »

UsherLincoln wrote:Gents,

I stopped off at the Art of Shaving late last week and finally got around to picking up a Merkur Progress. I'm not big on adjustable razors, but the curiosity was really building up for the Progress. The salesman was kind enough to throw in a batch of Merkur blades. I've had great shaves with these blades in the past, but when I went to use these "freebies" I almost tore my face up. This morning was full of pulling and tugging, with no slicing to be found. I ended up having to change out blades half way through.

Oh, and if you haven't tried combining eShave Cucumber aftershave with Coral Skin Food, I definitely recommend it. It soothes and moisturizes very well for me, but ymmv depending on skin type. I definitely needed it this morning though.

A "BAD" shave with a Merkur Blade... "NEVER" (honestly)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

Racso_MS wrote:
UsherLincoln wrote:Gents,

A "BAD" shave with a Merkur Blade... "NEVER" (honestly)

I believe you. I don't know what the deal is, but its been about 20 hours now since I shaved and my face is still scratchy from it.
-Lincoln

Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

UsherLincoln wrote:Bad Batch of Merkur Blades?
They're ALL bad, IMO.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Never had a bad blade from Merkur. Not to derail this thread, I was noticing on the AoS site that they sell the Merkur blades for 12.00 per 10 pack, thats if you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to live close to an AoS location.

Glad I bought a boat load when Chesapeake Knife and Tool went out of business a few years ago.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I have never used an adj. razor but could the setting be wrong for you I.E. would another brand of blade have given you the same shave with the razor as is?

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have been using merkur blades since the 70's and never had a problem
ever

i cant say that about other blade brands i have tried including wilks and swedes and feathers

marc
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

fallingwickets wrote:I have never used an adj. razor but could the setting be wrong for you I.E. would another brand of blade have given you the same shave with the razor as is?

Clive
Clive,

That's what I first thought as well. I was thinking the Progress could have been bent or the blade angle was off, but the second shave with the same blade in a different razor was even worse. For what AoS charges, I'm glad these were "Freebies" and that I didn't purchase them. But all things considered, it's starting to seem like there's a reason these were free.
-Lincoln

MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

I guess I've only tried the bad ones as I have yet to get a smooth or comfortable shave from a Merkur blade.
Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

MTgrayling wrote:I guess I've only tried the bad ones as I have yet to get a smooth or comfortable shave from a Merkur blade.

I used to feel that way but have grown to like them recently.

--------------------------

Kent
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

MTgrayling wrote:I guess I've only tried the bad ones as I have yet to get a smooth or comfortable shave from a Merkur blade.
Agreed. Have always found them a bit on the rough side and for me there are much better blades out there at a lower price
Regards,
Al
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

:bull :bull :bull ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :-#
(Racso) Oscar...
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i dont mean to beat a dead horse and i have said this before
but it has been a while

i know many here just dont like merkur blades and thats ok

but i feel these blades are really good but for the guys trying them you must realize for some reason merkur blades have a different feel to them then any other blade

and i cant totally explain the difference not to be compared with feathers
but feather have a totally different feel compared to all the others

maybe the merks have a bit of a old school feel to them they give feedback they let me know whats going on so to speak

and i can depend on them i know blade after blade i get the same shave and feel i think this is important

when i use a pack of wilks or swedes etc etc one blade is superman and the other maybe superman but i know i will probably get one blade that rips me up or just doesnt perform as it should

so i go with want i know

marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

You tell'em Marc...

MERKURS RULE... :wink:

OH BTW, anyone wanting to send me their Merkur Razor blades, feel free to do so. I will gladly sacrifice my face for the cause... :D
(Racso) Oscar...
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

Racso_MS wrote: OH BTW, anyone wanting to send me their Merkur Razor blades, feel free to do so. I will gladly sacrifice my face for the cause... :D
Haha maybe if you're willing to do a trade for Feathers.

Thanks for all the input, everybody. Marc I really do agree with you - that blades are highly dependent on the individual. Usually I have a pretty satisfactory shave with Merkur blades, but this set has been awful, which is really why I posted the whole thing in the first place. It's not a matter of Merkur blades always being bad, just this recent set.
-Lincoln

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marc, Well, I've been using Swedes almost exclusively for a few years now, and I've yet to get a single 'off' blade. They are highly consistant in my experiance.

Lincoln, Well, some seem to believe that the Merkur blades are now from more than one actual plant or maker, and if so, that might have something to do with your experiance. I'm only speculating, mind you. I haven't used any Merkurs in years so I have no current frame of reference.
Regards,
Gordon
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

Never tried them couldn't tell you.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

bernards66 wrote:Marc, Well, I've been using Swedes almost exclusively for a few years now, and I've yet to get a single 'off' blade. They are highly consistant in my experiance.

Lincoln, Well, some seem to believe that the Merkur blades are now from more than one actual plant or maker, and if so, that might have something to do with your experiance. I'm only speculating, mind you. I haven't used any Merkurs in years so I have no current frame of reference.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Good point. If they are in fact being manufactured in more than one plant, the quality could be different. I'm still using Merkurs I have stockpiled. Haven't bought any in quite some time.
(Racso) Oscar...