George Foreman grilling machine

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

George Foreman grilling machine

Post by Sam »

Well, I got a great deal on a floor model, but it came with no instructions. So I have some questions

1) No timer on mine. How do you know when food is done?

2) I guess you spray it with olive oil. I have cleaned it up with a nylon scrub brush, a little water and wipe off with paper towels. I guess heat takes care of any germs. Is this how you clean it?

3) Best way to do the veggies? I guess keep it open and turn the veggies over?

4) Favorite recipes using the machine?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam,

My wife runs ours -- I only know how to clean it. :wink:

Here are a couple of links that might help.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4698 ... ctions.htm

http://www.georgeforemancooking.com/coo ... fault.aspx

http://busycooks.about.com/library/arch ... lchart.htm

We like ours, but don't use it as much as we might.

Enjoy.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
buster

Post by buster »

Sam, temperature is the only way to really know when it's done, so get a digital thermometer if you're picky. With some use, you'll start to make pretty good guesses and get close. Starting off, when the juice quits running into the drip pan, it's done (overdone actually). Also, I've never found a need to spray oil on it. It would just run off into the tray anyways.
I clean mine by putting 2 or three layers of soaking paper towels onto the burners and closing the lid. Let the resulting steam do the work. After 10 seconds or so, carefully snatch the towels out, run them under some water to cool them, ring them out, and then carefully wipe down the griddles. The food will come right off.

Meat with bones I find don't work very well with this machine. Stick to chicken breasts, boneless pork chops, and burgers. Anything you would stick on a charcoal or gas grill will usually work on the Foreman. When you do veggies, closing the lid is fine. The veggies will cook very quickly and you'll get grill marks on both sides. Heartier veggies work well like thicker asparagus, squash, eggplant, potato, etc. Just brush with OO, salt, and cracked black pepper. Very tasty.

-Carrick
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Meat with bones I find don't work very well with this machine. Stick to chicken breasts, boneless pork chops, and burgers. Anything you would stick on a charcoal or gas grill will usually work on the Foreman. When you do veggies, closing the lid is fine. The veggies will cook very quickly and you'll get grill marks on both sides. Heartier veggies work well like thicker asparagus, squash, eggplant, potato, etc. Just brush with OO, salt, and cracked black pepper. Very tasty.

-Carrick[/quote]

+1, the bones cause uneven cooking, better if all the meat is equally flat on the grill.

Frozen burgers take about 3-4 minutes.

One great invention.

-----------------------

Kent
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

We have them at work, a few actually. Like everyone else is saying, temperature is the only way. We cook burgers and steaks without bones and salmon on ours (we have one specifically for the fish). Always a nice meal when we use it. And we never spray it with any thing, it has a teflon coating on it.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

I love cooking the frozen mahi mahi filets from Costco in my George Forman grill. Thaw 'em, sprinkle with a little adobo seasoning and close the lid. Voila, a fat-free and delicious dinner.
Jim

TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

Woops, sorry for the double post.
Jim

teabag

Post by teabag »

If only his grilling machine was anything like the man was in the ring I would use it constantly. I used it once, been up in the loft ever since gathering dust and rust. Enough said.
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

I have had several of the Foreman grills from the very small models to the very large models, one thing I have noticed particularly with the larger models is they seem to leak grease that does not go into the drip tray, so I put them on a baking sheet to catch any that may leak. It is not as much of a problem with chicken or vegeatbles but put a few cheap burgers on there..., that is with a freshly emptied and properly placed drip tray in the front of them.
Jim