Help ID Straight Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Help ID Straight Razor

Post by mantic »

Gents-- I recently received a straight razor from my father-in-law. There are no brand name markings on it; it just says "Pakistan" on the side of the box it came in. It has a plastic handle that almost looks like mahagony. Any ideas whether its worth while to hang onto?

Speaking of str8 razors...is there a good tutorial somewhere on the 'net on just how to use these things? I've seen info on preparing them (sharpening, honing, stropping, etc.) but nothing on how to shave with it. I don't know if I'm ready to make the jump to str8 yet, but I can at least find out the mechanics of shaving with it. :oops:

--Mark
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Chris-- Thanks for the info! After looking at that referenced page, I think I'll stick with my Mach3 Turbo for a while. :oops:

--Mark
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Care and use of open razors.

Post by english_barber »

Hi Mark,

I have already published my guide to the care and use of open razors. Please feel free to download this and any other of my guides from: http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/info.aspx?ref=guide

I hope this helps,

Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
Johnnie
Shave This

Hairy dudes

Post by Johnnie »

I would think a razor from Pakistan would be the best you can get. The fellas from the middle east are pretty hairy. Maybe they know something we dont about a soft razors. Then again they really dont shave that much. Maybe thats why, they have shitty razors.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

Hi Chris,

My shaving notes are copies of those presented to me while I was training at the Portsmouth Barber School in 1984. I always refer to them as a guide because, as with most things, rules are meant to be adjusted to fit the circumstances.

Although I was taught to shave using an open razor all those years ago, we only use shavette's in our Barber Shop for health and safety reasons. It also means we do not have to use a strop, so I will leave it to you to make sense of my guides!

Regards, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
jhco50
Sixshooter

Post by jhco50 »

Pakistany razors and knives seem to be everywhere. Through it away and buy a dovo.
Sixshooter