Radiohead

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
John 5

Radiohead

Post by John 5 »

I think that these guys deserve to be recognized as some of the greatest artist of the decade. What soul.

(Gordon, Chris, my dad, and most of you over 50 or so, need not click here..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpblnsJEWM

'So fucking special.'

Art.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

While they are of my generation I could never really get into radiohead while many of my friends did. Although I do like a couple of their songs.
Richard
John 5

Post by John 5 »

I think they earned their stripes due the the psychological inspiration for this particular track, which dates back to 1992-1993, I think. I appreciate it more so for its lyrical content more than the music itself. However, Richard, the irony of my post is that I'm no fan either, and you and I are about the same age. As bizarre as it might seem after my initial post, it is so. Their brand of music is not my cup of tea at all.. I'm mostly into classical music, classic jazz, Carlos Jobim/bossa nova, and the most that I approach the likes of Radiohead would be certain Sinatra era and rock acts from the 50's-70's, namely the Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc.

Yet, I included the stereotype/exclusion of gents in their 50's and above for a reason; much as you note, most of my friends in my age group are knee deep into their love affair with these guys. Not anybody else, except for 70 year old music critics. I got an issue of Rolling Stones a few years back that named "The Greatest artists of all time", and sure enough, Radiohead was in there. Critics love them. I normally hear just noise when subjected to any of their tracts, with the lone exception of what I posted above.

I think the reason I like it is the theme involved. I find self hate/alienation/psychosis fascinating, if anything for the fact that I don't quite understand it. Hell, if a woman got to disliking me, I'd just smile and say goodbye. Others react by branding themselves a 'Creep,' claiming not to 'belong here', and end up hanging from a noose. Quite sad.
diggity

Post by diggity »

Ahhh, John....they have some excellent CDs. Great music, great band. If you don't like them at first, listen to a couple of CD's, you will get into it.
Nathan
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Aha..there is one! Nathan, a man of with an undeniable, impeccable taste for the finer things in life, and I'm guessing of the same age as Richard and I, showing some love for Radiohead.

I don't own any of their CDs, I only have an acoustic/'unplugged' version they did live in Spain, I believe, that came in a compilation of 'unplugged' alternative hits. It's pretty much identical to this one, if not the same session.

I don't mind being an adventurer, so, Nathan, what CD of theirs would you recommend? I also prefer DVD-A or SACD formats, if available.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

When I click on the link I get "This video is not available in your country."

Thank you whoever it was. :wink:

Pete
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Wow, shopping around for their work, I came upon this album cover, 'Towering Above The Rest'

I did not know just how right and appropriate my alluding to self hate and nooses was. The lyrics to 'Creep' is one heck of a study in what leads so many young men to depression. No love or love lost, coupled with feelings of inferiority and gloomy grey skies. Feels sad to just think of the countless men out there that actually live out the picture that 'Creep' paints out.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

PeterS wrote:When I click on the link I get "This video is not available in your country."

Pete
Radiohead is a UK band. How appropriate (?) that someone would ban you guys from seeing the video.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

John 5 wrote:
PeterS wrote:When I click on the link I get "This video is not available in your country."

Pete
Radiohead is a UK band. How appropriate (?) that someone would ban you guys from seeing the video.
I would say merciful. Sorry you can have them.

Pete
rgc

Post by rgc »

Wow, not my cup of tea. Should have taken the warning not to click (even though I am not 50).
gone down south

Post by gone down south »

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ra ... cing_local
Radiohead Denies Influencing Local Band
MAY 23, 2009 | ISSUE 45•21

DAYTON, OH—Although they admit the Dayton-area group may have taken its name from a line in "Karma Police," the members of Radiohead held a press conference in Ohio Monday to dismiss allegations that they played any role in helping to form the musical style of local band Hitler Hairdo.

Radiohead members say they in no way contributed to the four songs Hitler Hairdo played in Paul's Bar.

Radiohead front man Thom Yorke told reporters in no uncertain terms that his band has never met the four high school students who compose Hitler Hairdo, and insisted the moody alt-rock songs they perform in local bars "could not possibly have been derived from [Radiohead's] subtle fusion of electronica, Krautrock, and experimental jazz."

"There is absolutely no evidence to support Hitler Hairdo's claim that listening to OK Computer for the first time changed the whole way they thought about music," said Yorke, flanked by the other members of Radiohead, producer Nigel Godrich, and the band's lawyers. "It's preposterous to think that, as genre-bending pioneers of post-punk techno-rock, we had anything to do with influencing this at-best average band. Anyone who's listened closely to their demo CD could tell you that."

Hitler Hairdo, whose MySpace page cites Radiohead as a "major influence," has been playing house parties and open-mic nights around the Dayton area for more than a year, but has yet to gain a substantial following. In "Bassist Needed" fliers distributed last month, the band describes itself as "a mix between Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins, but primarily interested in the earlier guitar-driven sounds of Pablo Honey and The Bends."

"That's absolute shite," Yorke said when asked for a response. "The epochal, full-bodied shoegaziness of early Radiohead is completely absent from the sample tracks they put online, and where are the bracing yet approachable guitar patterns?"

"And just look at their stupid band photo," added Yorke. "Radiohead would never dress like that."

Though Yorke claimed the first three minutes of Hitler Hairdo's song "Death (Or High School)" are enough to prove the two ensembles are in no way affiliated, lead guitarist Jonny Greenwood said he wasn't so certain at first, and suggested his bandmates attend a live performance before passing judgment.

But after chartering a private jet from England to Ohio to watch a Hitler Hairdo show, the space-rock megastars became even more convinced that they could not have shaped any part of the band's songwriting ethos.

"They were less like us live than they were in their abysmal online demos, if that's even possible," Greenwood told reporters. "If that bridge in their fourth song was supposed to be an homage to the cold, esoteric sounds of Hail To The Thief, they missed the mark by a mile. We stayed for the whole thing, and I heard not one ethereal exploration of alienation and longing, no textured soundscapes or sparse, clanging percussion sequences evoking an abandoned playground in winter. Nothing."

Continued Greenwood, "Just because you use a vocoder doesn't make you Radiohead."

In a recent interview in Rolling Stone, Radiohead members categorically denied any involvement in any of Hitler Hairdo's seven released songs, and assured fans that the subpar band's two unfinished melodies have "no hope" of attaining the swelling brilliance of even the weakest track on In Rainbows.

"To be perfectly honest, I think they sound much more like Oasis," Yorke told the magazine. "Or maybe some shit pop band, like the Killers. Their only similarity to us is that they've made their music available for free online, and that hardly counts. After listening to every one of their songs and poring over all of their lyrics, I can say without hesitation that Radiohead has never influenced this band in any way, shape, or form."

When asked for comment, the band Coldplay—also listed by Hitler Hairdo as an influence—told reporters they were "very flattered" and "love those guys."
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Well, I encountered Radiohead out of sheer serendipity. And I happen to think of this particular track as art.

I think of 'art' as anything that forces you to stop, and think. I also think of art as a piece of work that imposes on you a change in emotions. Bliss, sadness, delight, gloom, wonderment, etc. That is how I rate music, be it Baroque from the 1600's or 1990's punk rock. Also applies to literature and theater. This 'Creep' track forced me to think about the life it paints. Not one of cheer nor bliss, but a life that untold millions actually call their own.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

"Suicide music needs only a whining voice, depressing lyrics and a dirge-like drum and bass line. Thom Yorke of Radiohead has it to perfection: if he were to sing The Sun Has Got His Hat On, it would sound like a lament for global warming."
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Interesting critiques. Well, be it 'suicide music' or not, the fact is, that millions of men/women feel that very same way. Sad as it is, they live their lives engulfed with such sentiments within, not with any assist from this cheerful UK band. Such music is bound to bubble up to the surface one way or another. This particular group seems to have hit a note.

To have your very own compilation of 'List of awards and nominations received', as well as being included by the snobby crowd over at Rolling Stones as one of 'The greatest artists of all time' has to mean something.

Fourteen Grammy nominations? Creepy.
rgc

Post by rgc »

I bet they could do a bitch'en cover of Katrina and The Waves "Walking on Sunshine."
Stubblefield

Post by Stubblefield »

Radiohead? If the Smiths and Pink Floyd were to have offspring, Radiohead would be the result.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Wondering, I'm I the only one whom posts a thread, only to shortly thereafter smirk, and decide that such a topic perhaps was best kept away from here, perhaps a topic best entertained at a cocktail party with friends sharing the same bottle, and not on this forum? I do all the time. This one comes to mind, and so does that little 'Kant' posting of a couple weeks ago.

I want this thread to die already, if only for that fact that Radiohead is not, I think, a genre of music that is best discussed nor enjoyed here, or so it seems. If only this thread would listen to what it speaks of, and perhaps read some Kant, this thread would hang itself using itself.
IanM

Post by IanM »

I never "got" Radiohead.

Strange, as I like music by bands that say that they're influenced by Radiohead, and I like bands that Radiohead say have influenced them :?

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

John 5 wrote: I want this thread to die already, if only for that fact that Radiohead is not, I think, a genre of music that is best discussed nor enjoyed here, or so it seems. .

Sorry John, I could not let this die just yet. I for one do enjoy Radiohead; for my part OK Computer and The Bends we fantastic albums. I find the balance of their music to be relaxing and involving.

It does take a few spins for some of their writings to 'sink in', though it is all very good listening and by that I mean it does become more cognitive.

'Fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much, regular exercise at the gym... '

Great Stuff
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
diggity

Post by diggity »

John 5 wrote:Aha..there is one! Nathan, a man of with an undeniable, impeccable taste for the finer things in life, and I'm guessing of the same age as Richard and I, showing some love for Radiohead.

I don't own any of their CDs, I only have an acoustic/'unplugged' version they did live in Spain, I believe, that came in a compilation of 'unplugged' alternative hits. It's pretty much identical to this one, if not the same session.

I don't mind being an adventurer, so, Nathan, what CD of theirs would you recommend? I also prefer DVD-A or SACD formats, if available.
John, so sorry to have not posted a reply here! I completely forgot about this thread. Glad it came back to the top of the list. Well, John, they have a number of good albums. Here is my ranking of them (and yes, I own all of them except for the first album and the acoustic, so I didn't rank those):

1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
3. In Rainbows
4. Amnesiac
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Kid A

Now, on Kid A, the song "How to Disappear Completely" is probably THE saddest song I have ever heard. Give it a listen. From the lyrics to the music itself, it's just depressing, yet quite wonderful and deep. I would recommend listening to OK Computer and In Rainbows to wet the palate. Let me know what you think. Once you get into it, there's no stopping. BUT, it might take you a go or two of listening to the entire album before you get hooked. And you are right, it is art.
Nathan