Government Wants to Ban Pocket Knives

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

The only place that I go without a pocket knife *and* a multitool is the airport. *shrug* The knife's for cutting things, and the tool is, well, a tool: tightening screws, using the scissors, putting together toys (or extracting them from their vault-like packaging), etc., etc. The number of times I have reached for my belt and cursed when I didn't find a Leatherman is small, but memorable: because then what do I do?!

I don't see this as a political issue (and yes, I missed all the unedited posts), but more of a case of people being a little too scared of Real Life. Then again, I rub a razor blade across my throat each morning and consider it a high point of the day. :7)

And I can't wait to buy a first Swiss Army Knife for my kids when they're old enough. If I can ask, what do others here consider old enough?

- Will
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I had my first Scout knife in elementary school, I think it was fourth grade...then again, I nearly whacked a digit whittling about the same age, so you might not want to take my advice...

Four Fingers :lol:
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I got my son the basic Swiss Army knife for his 4th birthday - I don't remember the mdoel name but it's the one with the rounded blade, similar to this one. I go this name engraved on it and he was tickled pink. He was only allowed to "use" it under adult supervision.
Recently he graduated to a Tinker (he's now eight), and has used it a bit (and indeed cut himself with it - a rite of passage if ever there was one).
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

GA Russell wrote:
Gene wrote: One upon a time I always carried a small, single blade knife.

Sadly - I stopped because I can no longer take them with me when I travel...
Me too, Gene! About ten years ago my sister gave me a Leatherman for Christmas, and with it came a miniature model. Well, I don't think I've ever used what I asked for, but that miniature I carried with me and used it all the time! For example, I used it to clip my cigars instead of also carrying a cigar clipper with me.

Like you, I got out of the habit when pocket knives were confiscated at the airport. Maybe I'll start to carry it again, now that I rarely fly.
I carry the Leatherman Micra, $9 at the register at Loews. It's a great little knife. I used to carry a larger Kershaw but Michigan has some weird knife laws. Apparently it is illegal to carry a knife larger than 3 inches if one has the intent to commit murder. Apparently it's o.k. to carry a 2 inch knife and plan to harm someone or it's o.k to carry a broad sword, just as long as you don't intend to hurt someone. It just seems less complicated to carry the smaller knife, and somewhat more practical. Both the Leatherman and the Kershaw -- Ken Onion design -- would make lowsy daily shavers.

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

My immediate thought was that most straight razors are quick to open one handed. Are they next?
John
Stubblefield

Re: Government Wants to Ban Pocket Knives

Post by Stubblefield »

scruffy wrote:Government wants to eliminate most pocket knives:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=100679
One of the more unintentionally funny articles I have read in a long time.
John 5

Re: Government Wants to Ban Pocket Knives

Post by John 5 »

Stubblefield wrote:
scruffy wrote:Government wants to eliminate most pocket knives:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=100679
One of the more unintentionally funny articles I have read in a long time.
I was quite amused, too, until the realization quickly set in that such a sizable portion of our populace thinks it truth speaking to power. Sad!
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Stubblefield and John 5, why do you think that your sneers are not political speech of the sort frowned upon here?

Here is the June 22 letter signed by I count 81 Members of Congress in a show of bipartisan opposition to Sec. Napolitano's proposal:

http://digg.com/d1ulPu
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I wrote to my three Congressmen about this -- and I can't recall when I've done that before.

- Will
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

An update from the NRA - National Rocketknife Association.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks Dominic. Interesting that it was unanimous.

However (and I hope that I'm not wading into forbidden political water here), I am a little troubled by the comments about how the proposal would hurt American manufacturers. I'm all for manufacturing in the USA, and I'm all for everybody making lots of money, including me. But this talk about hurting businessmen suggests that the senators are more interested in profits than in living in a free country.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Congress's power to regulate the sale of these knives (and thus that of the agency to create these regulations) is derived from Article I's Commerce Clause. Therefore the language was probably intended to show that Congress was taking into account the economic effect of the proposed regulation when it invoked its power to block the regulation. That, and it made good politics. :D
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy