which simpson shall i chose.

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
jpq5

which simpson shall i chose.

Post by jpq5 »

I may be in the market soon for a new brush. I currently use a vulfix pure and just want to expand my horizons. I think I've narrowed it down to Simpson.
Duke 2
Duke 3
Chubby 1
What are your thoughts on these brushes.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

POLO 8 2BAND and you will never have to buy another brush again! :twisted:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

keep in mind that your vulfix is a lot more flexible than the other brushes on your wish list

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jpq5

Post by jpq5 »

Thanks I looked at that too, but a little more than I'd like to spend. Rather use that money on some soaps and creams.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The Eshan at Bullgoose
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Save yourself the torment of decision; buy them all, and then add more as you proceed with your shaving.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

My daily driver was also a Vulfix Pure 2197P, for face lathering it worked wonders but wasn't exactly easy on the face.

I decided to go with the D2, it is slightly larger and a completely different animal all together.

It isn't going to have the same flow through, but once it starts to break in it has a nice balance I found.

As I said on DFS, "It isn't by any means the worlds greatest brush, I really don't think there is such a thing, however every product I have used it with, it performs superbly and feels consistent."

For me it is my new daily driver and I'm having a hard time wanting to use any of my other brushes at the moment, one has all ready been sold.

If you do decide to go with any of those brushes listed, be sure to go with Phil from Bullgoose, he made sure I was sent a perfect specimen, and hes just awesome to deal with.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I have a CH1 in two band super and it's quite a nice brush. The handle is a wee bit small, but not small enough to be an issue. Can't speak about the Dukes as I've never tried one, but they are highly regarded and seem to be more popular than the Chubby range.
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: which simpson shall i chose.

Post by notthesharpest »

jpq5 wrote:I may be in the market soon for a new brush. I currently use a vulfix pure and just want to expand my horizons. I think I've narrowed it down to Simpson.
Duke 2
Duke 3
Chubby 1
Duke 3 has a better handle than Chubby 1 but the same size head, and that head is a better all-round size than the Duke 2. I think that out of just these three brushes the Duke 3 is the clear and easy winner for almost anybody's taste. Now, add in other possible brushes and you could stump me in a second. :lol:
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

notthesharpest wrote:
jpq5 wrote:I may be in the market soon for a new brush. I currently use a vulfix pure and just want to expand my horizons. I think I've narrowed it down to Simpson.
Duke 2
Duke 3
Chubby 1
Duke 3 has a better handle than Chubby 1 but the same size head, and that head is a better all-round size than the Duke 2. I think that out of just these three brushes the Duke 3 is the clear and easy winner for almost anybody's taste. Now, add in other possible brushes and you could stump me in a second. :lol:
My problem with the D3 is the fact for $10 more you can get an Eshan....
druphus

Post by druphus »

Sodapopjones wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
Duke 2
Duke 3
Chubby 1
If you want a 2-band. I love my Duke 3 in Best. It has the softest face feel of all of my brushes (most of which are 2-band).
Regards,
Andy
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

druphus wrote:
Sodapopjones wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:Duke 3 has a better handle than Chubby 1 but the same size head, and that head is a better all-round size than the Duke 2. I think that out of just these three brushes the Duke 3 is the clear and easy winner for almost anybody's taste. Now, add in other possible brushes and you could stump me in a second. :lol:
If you want a 2-band. I love my Duke 3 in Best. It has the softest face feel of all of my brushes (most of which are 2-band).
Its been sometime since I touched a Simpson 2 band, they felt rather soft at the time...

The best badger is nice for sure though :wink:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Sodapopjones wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
Duke 2
Duke 3
Chubby 1
See? :lol: Ehsan had a very nice idea for his brush. But now we're getting into preference territory as well.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If the Grosvenor reincarnates, then that. Barring this, a Duke 3* and Emperor 3, and Colonel two- and three-band. No shortage of Simpsons to choose from.

*My sneaking suspicion is that the D3 and E3 will ultimately be the only brushes I end up with. Those suckers have bullseyes on them, oh, yes.
Ron
Bruceonshaving

Post by Bruceonshaving »

I bought the Duke 3.
It has the exact same knot as the Chubby 1 but the handle is longer which works better for me. It may be different for you.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Bruce, I would say from those three brushes that you chose the 'right' one. The CH1 would be most likely too small in the hand, I would imagine. I've owned a couple of D3s in the past and always found them to be excellent workhorses.

Gareth
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Out of the three brushes you list (if you choose the CH1 in best and not super), all you are dealing with is a size issue. Yes the CH1 may be more densly filled, but if it is in Best Badger then 'flow through' shouldn't be a problem.

I think any of the ones you listed would do your shave justice for many years. I personally prefer the Chubby, but I also prefer larger brushes and mine is the CH3 in Best.

So go with what size of brush you think you might be most comfortable with and use it in good health.
笑う門に福来る。