Aftershave splash and then balm

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DesertRat

Aftershave splash and then balm

Post by DesertRat »

I've noticed in the SOTD threads that a lot of guys are using both an A/S splash and a A/S balm right after.

I'm assuming that the splash is for cleaning/sterilizing and the balm is for moisturizing but aren't some splashes moisturizing as well?

I usually use a splash and then some moisturizing sunscreen but sometimes I use Bump Patrol and then AOS unscented balm for extra moisturizing.

Is using both overkill? Are folks using the splash for scent as well?
Paul
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I use an aftershave splash in the form of Lucky Tiger - simply because I absolutely LOVE the way it feels. In the summer months I might just leave it at that or add a light balm. In the cooler months, I go with a heavier balm and moisturizer. I copped a page from Method Shaving in that if I'm using a thicker consistency balm, I use very little and mix in a hydrosol, aftershave, witch hazel or something - it helps spread things very evenly.

The liquids I use generally don't have a strong scent and dissipate quickly - so don't conflict with any cologne I'm wearing...

...some might say it's overkill, but it works for me!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 Ravi. I have developed a sensitivity to scents over the years, and have had to be careful of the post-shave product which contain scent that I use. I am loving the lemon scented witch hazel that I now put on after my final rinse and pat-dry and before I apply a bit of Body Shop Razor Relief. I still close off the entire thing with a 1/2 dime's size dollop of Skin Food as a closing effort about 5 minutes or so after the Razor Relief goes on. Love the results I get from layering these products
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

+ another one. I too mix my balms and my aftershaves when I wear A/S. The scent seems to last longer and I like how it feels.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
druphus

Post by druphus »

I always use Aftershave. Usually D.R. Harris Pink, and occassionally Proraso or Speick. None of these clash with Cologne, which I usually will wear.

Once or twice a week I will use Trumper's Skin Food when I shave with either a rose, sandalwood, or Lime soap or cream. If I use the skin food I put it on after the Aftershave.
Regards,
Andy
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i keep aftershave pinaud clubman and trumpers skin food

i used to choose on or the other..and mostly it was the clubman..

for the last several months i have been using the clubman. and maybe after 10 minutes ,,or when the scent of clubman is faded a bit..i use the smallest amount the skin food..

and i like it

glad to find out i am not the only one

marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Use witch hazel (pick a brand) to cleanse my face after a cool/cold water rinse. Then an A/S Balm (Nivea for Sensitive Skin). I have combined the Sensitive skin version with the menthol based non sensitive skin version to give a little wake up at times (Mixed two bottles into one and it makes a lot). But usually just the Nivea for sensitive skin. Pretty boring, but it works for me.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Cold water rinse followed by a 50/50 mix of Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner (the one with alcohol in it) and Nivea Sensitive ASB.

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I am definitely in the splash then balm camp.

Most summer days I could leave it with just a splash of Thayers Witch Hazel but I like to add just a light layer of a balm all the same. I will use balm just about everyday during the winter.

I am starting to prefer to leave the scent to an EdT or EdC versus an after shave although I do like the finish of DRH Arlington and Musgo Real which both stay with me for quite sometime. Some of the heavily scented after shaves tend to get a little murky on me latter in the day which is probably just my body chemistry.
Good shaving,

Gary
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

I am a fan of AV splash, and oftentimes I will first splash on the Aqua-Velva, not just for the antiseptic aspect but also the scent. I find that if I follow up with an unscented balm such as Nivea Energy, It will tend to keep that wonderful AV scent longer.... have oily skin so I only use a small amount of the balm.
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by brothers »

I'm in favor of mixing the post shave products too. I usually start off with a witch hazel splash, or I might even rub some COBigelow Mentha Lotion into my face because it is cooling with a touch of menthol, which I like, or a drop or two of Skin Food, with certain shaving creams, like Rose. And once in a while I might add a touch of an aftershave, Booster's, Aqua Velva, or Old Spice. I usually try to limit things to one or two. It's all good. I've never been able to tolerate colognes and the like, because they're usually too overpowering for my preferences.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

If I'm planning on using a cologne my habit is to splash witch hazel on and apply scent at the last minute before leaving home. My arsenal includes Pinaud Clubman, Ogallala limes/peppercorns, and a citrus/musk from Mama Bear.

OTOH, I have a very nice matched A/S balm and cologne I got from TSD and so I omit the witch hazel on such occasions.

This next will be the first full winter of DE shaving for me. Naturally, I anticipate having to acquire more of these things. :oops: Because of the extreme seasonal temperature differences in my home province of Nova Caesarea, of course. :twisted:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS