Thater 2 Band

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

I'm curious to see if the hair used is anything like the Blonde Badger or Rooney Heritage....

I'm sure more vendors will carry these brushes and we may see prices change, well hopefully. 8)
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

rustyblade wrote:
franz wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I've always wondered when preference would swing back to softer brushes instead of the elusive, heavily "doctored" stiff black shafts with milky-white bleached tips. I've been using a BK4 for a few months now.
Hey Richard, your comment makes me curious. Are you saying that Rooney Heritage and other types of 2-band bristle are bleached and otherwise adulterated from the natural bristle? If you have any sources for the claim, I'd love to read more.
All I know is, at one point so called "finest" or "manchurian", or "high mountain white", whatever, was incredibly hard to source, unobtainium even. A few years later every company is putting out striking two-band brushes.[/quote]

FYI

'Manchurian' was a marketing term used during the David Carter era.
I can assure you that Simpson were capable of making 2-band brushes for many years before that and are more than capable of making true 2-band brushes today.
Please don't suggest long standing brush companies, that have long pedigrees of proper brush making over many many decades, 'work' in the same way as some of the newer 'fast buck' businesses.
I obviously can't comment on other brush makers but I do know 'my family's own'.

Gary
Gary
infotech

Post by infotech »

Gary - Since Simpson could make two-band whenever they wanted, what was the deal with the Simpson line between, around late 2007-2009 give or take a couple of months, when some of their brushes went from two band super to three band? Some individuals made a small fortune selling their elusive Simpson 2-band supers during that time.

Now days two-band badger is the norm.
James
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Uh oh, I just realized srd is about an hour from my home. This could be trouble.

Steve
franz

Post by franz »

Sodapopjones wrote:I'm curious to see if the hair used is anything like the Blonde Badger or Rooney Heritage....
I'm only two shaves in, but a comparison to Heritage wouldn't be too wide of the mark. :wink:
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

infotech wrote:Gary - Since Simpson could make two-band whenever they wanted, what was the deal with the Simpson line between, around late 2007-2009 give or take a couple of months, when some of their brushes went from two band super to three band? Some individuals made a small fortune selling their elusive Simpson 2-band supers during that time.

I think one day I should write down a full explanation of 2-band/3-band knot making for you guys! Hopefully it will help!

Gary
Gary
infotech

!

Post by infotech »

Gary Young wrote:
infotech wrote:Gary - Since Simpson could make two-band whenever they wanted, what was the deal with the Simpson line between, around late 2007-2009 give or take a couple of months, when some of their brushes went from two band super to three band? Some individuals made a small fortune selling their elusive Simpson 2-band supers during that time.

I think one day I should write down a full explanation of 2-band/3-band knot making for you guys! Hopefully it will help!

Gary
That explains it perfectly! Thank you.
James
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

But Gary . . . the speculation is so much fun.
Regards,
Squire
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Ok, the force is too storng with these Thater's & I haven't been able to make the road trip to SRD, so I ordered the 23mm 4292. The 25mm reportedly was closer to 30mm, way too big. Now the wait!! Piccies will follow.

Steve
Last edited by desmoface on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

desmoface wrote:Ok, the force is too storng with these Thater's, & I haven't been able to make the road trip to SRD, so I ordered the 23mm 4292. The 25mm reportedly was closer to 30mm, way too big. Now the wait!! Piccies will follow.

Steve
did you get a flat or bulb shape?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Bulb Shape, 4292/4 23MM Knott, 56mm loft. I prefer the longer loft to the stubbies.

Steve
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

desmoface wrote:Bulb Shape, 4292/4 23MM Knott, 56mm loft. I prefer the longer loft to the stubbies.

Steve
you'll love it. the best knot i experienced was with a thater. the only reason i sold mine was cause i like longer handles than what thater had available
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Gil,

I hope so. I had been trying to visit their store but could never find the time. Kinda sad as I'm only about an hr away.

Steve
franz

Post by franz »

Only one hour from das Thäterhaus... :o

Hey, at least it'll ship quickly!
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Believe me, I have been trying to visit them, but between school & work, there's just no time. That's ok, though...should have my new brush soon.

Date Ordered: Thursday 20 October, 2011

Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Shipped

Steve
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i'm 45 minutes from them also. i haven't gone cause all my AD's would kick in. i'd walk out of there with everything but the kitchen sink. and only because there's no kitchen
'
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Ok, just received my brush, the 4292/4 I 23mm Bulb.

To be honest, it's a lot smaller that I thought it would be. I'm starting to think I should have went with the 25mm version, but from what I've read, that thing is crazy big. You may agree, here it is next to my duke 3 in best, and the SR 3824 (my fav, and the brush I use for the measuring stick when comparing brushes).

Comparing the bulb characteristics to the Duke 3, there doesn't appear to be a huge size difference. The digital caliper measurements show:
Brush/ Knot size/ Loft
Thater 25.24 mm 54.33 mm
Advertised 23 mm 56 mm

SR 3824 26.5 mm 59.57 mm
Duke 3 24.58 mm 51.46 mm

Now, keep in mind, I'm no machinist/engineer, you may measure them differently, but these are the measurements I came up with.

I did apply a couple of coats of clear nail polish to the brushes graphics as they don't look to be applied to last. So, it appears to fit in between the Duke and the SR. We'll put her to the Tabac (or maybe a stick of Arko), and see how she plays. I'll keep you guys posted.

Steve
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Steve, please do. It's a beauty, and looks a lot like my SR 3122, though with a more fan-shaped loft and perhaps more densely packed. It seems to me at this point I'd be hard-pressed to improve upon that brush, but a guy can always be on the lookout, just in case.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i'd be interested in seeing a post bloom pic. you'll discover that the density is perfect
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hey guys, I did a quick lather, basically loading the tips with a stick of Arko, just to clean it before I use it. To be honest, it doesn't seem all that dense; much less so than the duke 3, and maybe even less than the sr. We'll see how it works tomorrow morning on it's maiden voyage.
TRBeck wrote:Steve, please do. It's a beauty, and looks a lot like my SR 3122, though with a more fan-shaped loft and perhaps more densely packed. It seems to me at this point I'd be hard-pressed to improve upon that brush, but a guy can always be on the lookout, just in case.

Regards,
I love my SR, although it looks pretty wore out in the picture, LOL, it's starting to look like a "No" band. But its such a nice brush, sad that it's starting to lose a few hairs with each use. I am hard on a brush, though, as I face lather, something that Thater's included instructions say not to do, LOL.

Steve