I guess when you want a Schick Dial....

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ScottS

I guess when you want a Schick Dial....

Post by ScottS »

...you'll do anything to get one. Take a look at this auction

Scott
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Scott;

I notice that all the high bids came from bidders with no experience on eBay; (0) or less after their names, and apparently no knowledge of the value of the razor. All the lower and more realistic bids came from individuals who did know the real worth of the item and how eBay works; those bids dropped out about $35 or so. The new guys got suckered big time by bidding against themselve. PT Barnum would be proud.

BobS
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Wow! I'd rather buy a new brush. I am fairly new and I have several Gillettes and Schicks. Have not paid more than $25 for any of them. In fact I got a brand new Schick in a can for a little over $15. Albeit not adjustable but who cares? I have wanted an adjustable but for $200? [-X

It's really frustrating for n00b's like me who want a decent razor at a decent price. I don't really "need" anymore razors. No I need....more creams and soaps! :twisted:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

Wow. You really have to know when to stop bidding.

And I've still never had anyone tell me if the Schick Adjustable injector is actually even a good razor. Of course, even if it shaved me baby butt smooth each and every time, it still ain't worth $192.

Scott
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I'm still messing around w/ the Dial my dad gave me, and for me the Jury is still out. This morning, I got a stellar shave-- three passes with the Dial, and a touch-up with the Progress, which I pulled out because I was a little frustrated by the Injector, and didn't want to mess around risking burn by trying to get even closer with it. If something on the order of "SOD" would be helpful,

no-name pure badger
proraso green (tube)
Schick Dial
Dickenson's Witch Hazel
Pinuad Clubman
Aloe80

I added the Clubman to my usual routine, as a good old-fashioned alcohol-based aftershave gives me really good feedback on how much burn I've given myself. I did get more of a sting than usual, but the shave seems super comfortable. I don't know how I feel about the Clubman. When I started using it, I got that old-timey barber shop odor, but lately it seems to remind me of the scent that used to be on toilet papers!

For some reason, I'm not sure yet how efficacious the adjustment on the Dial is. A whole bunch more dropping of the guard doesn't equal a whole bunch closer shave, but I'll have to keep messing around. Maybe I eased off a little, knowing that the razor was more exposed.

It is dead simple to keep the angle right-- just keep the flat right up against your face. It feels like it sucks right down onto the skin.

FWIW, the Dial really seems very different to me from a Bic Metal.

Scott
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

I wish I had the money to buy it.
I wouldn't have bought it I just wish I had the money....
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Well guys in my ealrier post on this thread I said that I have several injectors but not an adujstable. Well lo and behold over at sell and trade Steve listed his for $37 w/shipping today. Within minutes he had my PM. Well at 1/5th of what this one on ebay went for I can't complain so I scooped it right up.

Whether I end up liking it or not is another question but I know I can always trade it or sell it at not too much of a loss over what I paid for it.

If whoever bought the ebay one doesn't like it there's no way he can sell it for anywhere near what he paid. Or could he? I forget we are talking about ebay. :roll:

Anyway, thanks Steve!

Erik
Erik

Aurora Greenway
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Erik

You're very welcome and hope that you enjoy using it.

Steve
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

There's another one. Notice how once the bidding got past $25 it was the same two nitwits bidding against each other. One of them is the guy who won the one above.

I'd find it all rather sad that these clueless folks are paying this kind of money for a mass-produced razor, but I think it's far sadder that I don't have one or two of these to sell.

Scott
javyn

Post by javyn »

I doubt either of those two with 0 feedback will honor their contracts and pay anything. More and more sellers are barring 0 and 1 feedback users from bidding on their auctions. I haven't sold in a few years, so I don't know if ebay has implemented ways for sellers to block 0 fdbk users and those out of country, but it would be nice if they have.
John
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

I agree with you Scott.

I have seen other seller's that have really high starting bids or high reserves. This seller had a low starting bid of $9.99 and no reserve. The two nitwits bidding really screwed thenselves. I no doubt expect to see this razor re-listed due to a non-paying bidder

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being in the sellers shoes if the bidder does in fact pay. Think the bidder will spring for $1.30 or whatever it is in insurance? :roll:

Erik
Erik

Aurora Greenway