Semogue 620 vs 830

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
sean mac

Semogue 620 vs 830

Post by sean mac »

I've been using a Rooney 3/1 Super exclusively for about the last two years. I'm a face latherer, and this brush has served me well. However, it does a better job with creams than it does with soaps. Therefore, I'm looking to get a boar brush that will primarily be my soap brush. I'm drawn to the acrylic handle because I typically put my brush in a sink with water while I'm in the shower. After the shower I grab my brush and get to work.

I'm really torn between the Semogue 620 and 830. The 620 seems to offer more scrubbing power than the 830, which seems like a good thing. However, I've grown rather attached to the softness of my Rooney. For this reason, the 830 is attractive. However, I'm concerned that the 830 will, in time, bloom and soften and become too similar to my Rooney.

I would love to hear comments from people who have used both the 620 and 830 -- which do you prefer for face lathering hard soaps? why?
Produce great people, the rest follows.
- Elbert Hubbard
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

The Rooney is way better than both - for soaps or creams.

If you must have one, I'd recommend the 620 - the 830 I had was a wet noodle after a few dozen uses.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The 830 is a highly regarded brush. I have never heard anyone before compare it to a wet noodle. Many satisfied shavers use the 830 and the less-dense 1305 (same grade of bristle) for face-lathering. The 620 is also popular, however.

Considering how much the YMMV principle applies here, as illustrated here by LouisIII's experinece, you may not truly be able to tell which you prefer without trying them yourself. Either brush would require breaking in to really come into its own. My 830 required over 25 latherings to get where I wanted it.

From my own experience with the 1305 and the 830, the 830 will offer a little bit of flex and a very soft face feel (once broken in). If backbone is the main attribute you seek in your next brush, you will get more of it from the 620, but it could also be too much of a good thing.

- Murray
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

CMur12 wrote:The 830 is a highly regarded brush. I have never heard anyone before compare it to a wet noodle.
Similar reports at TSR and B&B (maybe other forums - but they're the ones I'm aware of).

It's not, however, a characteristic unique to this brush or even brand of boar brush; I had a similar experience with the Omega 31064. It's one of the reasons (after many months of boardom) I eventually decided boar brushes are a bit of a false economy - they don't last all that long - or at least retain their optimal characteristics. I've some hope, in this way, for shorter more rigid brushes like the 620 - but then you sacrifice some lathering ability, it seems to me.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've been using a 1438 for about a year now. It's basically the 620 knot with a wooden handle. It rivals or surpasses the softness of my Rooney 3/1 SS, yet has backbone. I like my 1438 a great deal.

I also face lather and this is a great brush for that. The 830 has more loft and that argues against it being a face lathering brush since the higher loft might make it floppier IMO.

I can't address the 90% tips vs 75%, yet. I have a 610 on order and it has 90% tips. It might turn out to be a mini version of the 830 (potentially floppy)since it has a slightly narrower knot and the same 50mm loft of the 1438.

They aren't very expensive, just buy it and if you don't like it someone else will want to buy and try.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

I have an 830. It was great at first... but it has become a bit of a wet noodle. More like a silvertip than a boar.

The 620 is small and a great little brush, I haven't used it as much but it seems to be holding its own.
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

I have the 620. The 620 is similar to a 1520 in my opinion but with a better handle. The 830 is 1305 so if you like the 1305 you should like the 830. I love the 620. I use it with some Trumpers soap in a wooden bowl and I find it more scrubby than the 1305 but not prickly like a pure badger. There's a review of the 620 on leesrazors.

Andy
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

+1 for the 620. Ive had several Rooney 3-1 supers that were also great brushes but the Semogue has substantially more backbone and is a truly excellent face lathering brush for hard soaps as long as it isnt over soaked.

Creams? I'd probably go with a 610 for those although it also works for soaps.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks for that DaveD. I still haven't seen my 610, but it sounds like I'm going to like it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
sean mac

Post by sean mac »

Thank you for all of your comments. I went ahead and ordered a 620. I look forward to its arrival.

From what I have read, it seems that a boar takes some time to really break in. If this is the case, any advice on how to prepare myself for perhaps not being overwhelmed by this brush the first few times that I use it?
Produce great people, the rest follows.
- Elbert Hubbard
drumana

Post by drumana »

I had a 620 a while back and really loved the handle design but the knot was too stiff for my face. Gave it a good go with extra latherings here and there over the course of about a month but the tips didn't seem to budge much. I would imagine if the tips do get soft it would be an excellent brush.
-Andrew-