Best Barbershops?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Rachel

Best Barbershops?

Post by Rachel »

Hi everyone: I am a writer working on an article for a national men's magazine. I am looking for the Best Barbershops in America. Hoping that some of you might have a few suggestions... everyone seems really knowledgeable! I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on a place that's great.

Please reply if you have any suggestions or send me a message. I really appreciate it!

Rachel
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Hi Rachel

I'm sure you are in the right place for anything to do with shaving. I'm sorry I cant help answer your question about Barbershops in the US as I'm across the pond in the UK. However, I'm sure many of our learned friends here will be able to help you.

If however, your article ever extends to cover the UK then please let us know.

Good luck with the article, I'm sure the publicity of more traditional shaving methods will help us no end.

All the best...
John
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Daniel's Barber Shop
553 Port Washington Blvd.
Port Washington, NY 11050

516-767-6456
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Thanks guys! :)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Rachel,

Here is an article about some shops in Chicago, hard to say who's the best, but my guy is on the list.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/top-lists/c ... rbershops/
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

You might want to check our archieves under headings like 'barbershop shave' and similiar. There are MANY posts on member's experiances with shops all over the country. Of course, these posts are mainly centered on shaves at these shops but generally, if a shop even offers a shave these days it is above the norm.
Regards,
Gordon
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

gsgo wrote:Rachel,

Here is an article about some shops in Chicago, hard to say who's the best, but my guy is on the list.

Gary,

I am coming to Chicagoland in late June and would love to get a barber shave while I am out there. Have not had one in like 10 years as all the barbers in my neck of WPa have quit doing shaves. Has to deal with sanitary rules set forth by the state. Too hard to comply and make a profit. Can you tell us which barber is yours and also why not have him shave you so you can let (me, too) know how the shave is.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ateace

Post by ateace »

Hi, Rachel -

This place should be on the list:

http://nyshavingcompany.com/

This has become my choice for haircuts.
I got a great shave there, too, as a Christmas present.

Good luck with the article. Please share your exerience with us.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

ThePossum wrote:
gsgo wrote:Rachel,

Gary,

I am coming to Chicagoland in late June and would love to get a barber shave while I am out there. Have not had one in like 10 years as all the barbers in my neck of WPa have quit doing shaves. Has to deal with sanitary rules set forth by the state. Too hard to comply and make a profit. Can you tell us which barber is yours and also why not have him shave you so you can let (me, too) know how the shave is.
Bryce,

I go to the Wrigley Building Barbershop, Joe's been cutting my hair for several years, I have never had a shave from him although I know he does offer it, he does use a shavette to clean up my neck and sides using hot lather from the latherizer.

Word on the street is that the barber at Art of Shaving in the mall at 520 N. Michigan Ave (Nordstom Mall) gives one of the best shaves downtown. T&H would be another pretty safe choice, if something a little more common appeals check out the following:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=sh ... cago%2C+IL

Even with all the choices around I still have not gone for a shave anywhere, just prefer to do it myself.
Good shaving,

Gary
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

ThePossum wrote: Have not had one in like 10 years as all the barbers in my neck of WPa have quit doing shaves. Has to deal with sanitary rules set forth by the state.
I looked into this a while back. Really the rules re. sanitation are similar to how they ever were. IMO the real reason is less men were asking for them, so less barbers were performing them, and eventually it became a lost skill. In the past barbers were performing cutthroat shaves all day, every day - so they were really good at it. Now pretty much all there that exists are 'salon for men' type establishments - not to knock those - if there's a market for them I hope they thrive. But if you want a real traditional barber shave, you need a time machine.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

Bryce-----If you are coming to the Chicago area I would reccomend Mario at The Blue Cat in Oakbrook. He has been shaving for over 60 years and taught me everything I know. He uses real straights and NOT the disposables, hot towels, real hot lather NOT from a machine and his client list is a "who's who".

630-571-8448
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Wow! Thanks for such a wonderful response, everyone. Love to hear that everyone is so passionate and so friendly.

gsgo: Thanks so much for the link all of the other info -- exactly the type of leads that I am looking for.

bernards66: I am definitely going to go through the archives. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

ateace: Thanks for the link! Another great place to check out...
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Rachael -

I nominate two in my area, not in any particular order of wonderfulness: Hog's Breath Barber Shop in Dublin CA (what a name!) and Charlie's Barber Shop in Danville, CA (where Sully Sullenberger, the Miracle on the Hudson pilot, happens to be a customer).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No recommendations Rachel, my guys have retired, but best of luck on your project.
Regards,
Squire