What the Good Dr Ordered

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

What the Good Dr Ordered

Post by jww »

As some of you are aware, Chris was kind enough to PIF some soap to me recently. Today, even though I had planned to crack open the Tabac, I decided to use the WoW instead just because I was not familiar at all with this product.

Overall, I would compare the performance to be on-par with C&E soap. The scent is light -- in fact the lather is lighter than the scent of the actual soap, which was a surprise for me. Excellent lather -- as good as any other tallow based product. I used my C&E/EJ super badger, but expect from my results today that my Semogue 1305 will work every bit as well.

I'll report back on this thread when I take the brush to the Tabac and the Tipo Morbido.

Thanks again Chris.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's the scent more than the lather that attracts me to the NLA WoW. I did use it for several months exclusively and got on quite well (at a time when I also used one single stainless straight - a Livi made of Swedish damasteel). I confess I am using the remainder of the world supply as a bath soap these days, but it will do perfectly well for shaving. The other soaps I sent you will beat it hollow when it comes to shaving lather!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just ordered a couple of wooden bowls from Phil at Bull Goose to house the Tabac and Tipo Morbido.

And since I am in a buying mood, I expect to be ordering up a stick of Tabac so it can travel with me where'ere I go.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And that is exactly what I travel with - an old stick of Tabac, a Friodur and a strop.

Chris
Who has been married to the other old stick he travels with for 32 years this month!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

drmoss_ca wrote:And that is exactly what I travel with - an old stick of Tabac, a Friodur and a strop.

Chris
Who has been married to the other old stick he travels with for 32 years this month!
I am guessing that you check the straight with bags when you fly?

BTW - I am about 18 months behind you - November 2012 will be 31 years for us. Wouldn't trade it for anything - seriously.
Wendell

IanM

Post by IanM »

Give the Tabac scent some time to "settle".

When I first used Tabac the scent was quite strong, and, I have to admit, a little off-putting.

After about a week, it seemed to get better.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

The Good Doctor is a gentleman of the First Class.

Bully for you.

Best,
Chris
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

jww wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:And that is exactly what I travel with - an old stick of Tabac, a Friodur and a strop.

Chris
I am guessing that you check the straight with bags when you fly?
I was thinking the same thing about the straight. Heck, I've used disposable (ughhhhh) razors when I've traveled.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nitrox wrote:... I've used disposable (ughhhhh) razors when I've traveled.
A Bic sensitive disposable is always in my kit bag so I can grab and go with a single carry on (and computer bag). I've become quite the able-bodied road warrior (via airports) this past year.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I check the straight in a suitcase, which for internal flights in Canada is neither x-rayed (good for undeveloped film) nor broken open by the TSA (good for avoiding theft). I like to travel without checked bags - even being able to last two weeks on the beach with just a roll-on back in the days when vacations were possible, but otherwise I have learnt that there is no point in even trying. If I don't take a suitcase I am asked to carry an extra one for SWMBO, and if I do take one it had better be nearly empty to bring back her purchases. Failure to comply results in an extra suitcase being bought while away. Such is life.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:
Nitrox wrote:... I've used disposable (ughhhhh) razors when I've traveled.
A Bic sensitive disposable is always in my kit bag so I can grab and go with a single carry on (and computer bag). I've become quite the able-bodied road warrior (via airports) this past year.
+1 on the Bic.

I took this advice on a trip last week and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of shave.

If I had only known about multi-pass shaving back in the day!!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

drmoss_ca wrote:... Failure to comply results in an extra suitcase being bought while away. Such is life.

Chris
lol
Wendell

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

drmoss_ca wrote: Failure to comply results in an extra suitcase being bought while away. Such is life.
I've had to do that one time for SWMBO. It was a small suitcase though.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."