Knew better, did it anyways...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
marine-mp

Knew better, did it anyways...

Post by marine-mp »

Set the "Fat" aside, for one of my name-brand croaps a couple of days ago.....and really hurt myself. Good blade, Muhle 89 and lathered up good. I have always shaved before showering, but after the shower, I splashed witch hazel and it hurt a bit. Then a bit later, put on the AV Ice Blue and 'bout near died!! Been years since I've felt like that. For the nex 2 days, my face was sore. Will stick to the "fat" and be happy!!!!! I use a brush scuttle and Mitchells seems to not be affected so much if I get the bowl a tad to hot. Yes, it does thin it out a bit, but it comes back to life with a little working on the face and just seems to be better. "Fat", I hope you can forgive me for setting you aside for the day!!!!! Won't happen again!!!!! :) I see a PIF coming in a little bit. Semper-fi Mike
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Knew better, did it anyways...

Post by jww »

Be warned.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Everyone has had a moment like that. #-o

Just curious, what was the croap? It's ok, it can't defend itself.

FWIW, you just had to know we were going to ask. :D
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nicks and cuts aren't caused by brands of shaving lather. They come from blades and the skills of the guy who's holding the razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

If you were using a soap that you hadn't used before - or even that you hadn't used for some time - the problem could have simply been lack of familiarity with the product. In other words, you may have used MWF lathering technique on a soap that required a different approach. That could easily result in a less protective lather.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Yeah, I agree with Murray to a great degree. A thick lather that's not slick can cause a lot of irritation and soreness even though it seems like it's cushiony. It dries after the initial pass and makes for drag with the near inevitable immediate second touch up pass (multiple passes). When you become familiar with a soap and have you're lathering technique dialed in with it you mitigate this but not all soaps lather the same so experience will be the guide.

Chris

P.S. IMHO triple milled or hard milled soaps make for the slickest yet most protective lather. YMMV.
marine-mp

Post by marine-mp »

Thanks for the intel, gentleman. The product I was using (Brian) was the Razorock Fresco...a favorite for a long time before the "fat" bumped it down into second spot!! Joe's croap has served me well, I just didn't realize the difference in the "slickereryness" that I failed to produce. Thanks for bringing that to the table Chris and Murray. The "fat" had me spoiled!! Gary, I didn't have any nicks or cuts, and had a good 7 o'clock yellow in, but the terrible soreness that I experienced didn't hit me as razor burn, which I now know it was. Dummy me!!! My technique was sorely(lol!!!) lacking in that my lather prep was off and as you suggest, technique is everything. I shall give the Rock another go, and will thank you all for the advice. Great forum and great advice. Thanks fellas. Semper-fi. Mike
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, I misunderstood. Yes, I can certainly identify with the delayed reaction burn you're talking about. I can remember two really bad cases. First was when I was about 6 months into the process of using my straight razors as much as I could. The area under my chin was bad and getting worse. I posted about it on two forums, SRP and SMF. Got some valuable advice from the helpful guys there. They told me to just back off and give the skin a break from the action, let it rest a couple of days, use a razor I was most comfortable with (a DE) before I went back to the straight razors on a limited basis. This worked great and helped me get a better focus on the angle and pressure I was using with the straight razors. The second time was even worse. I had a new Muhle R41 2011 version and was determined (stubborn) to use it every day for almost a week. The skin was just aching and I knew it was the razor, which I later learned was just too aggressive, and blaming the razor I got rid of it and blasted it openly on the forums, along with a lot of other guys. Long story short, it was NOT the shaving cream I was using. It was not the razors. It was me and my bull-headed insistence that I could conquer any new (to me) razor if I just used it over and over every day. Problem was, I was not being smart. I was refusing to accept the fact that I wasn't trying to understand the razors and I was not using my razors to my best advantage. My angles were wrong and I was unconsciously applying too much pressure. This is a good way to make the skin thinner in certain areas, which results in that old thing called razor burn. The whole thing turned out to be mental, and I'm glad I took the time to learn from my misfortune.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, as I read it, the only change in Mike's routine was the soap, and lathering issues could explain the phenomenon that he reported. You appear to be adding razor issues that I don't see in Mike's case.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, I think I understand that Mike had used the RR Fresco for a long time, then used something else, before going back to the Fresco and then developing this burn. In this particular case, maybe I'm confused and not following the logic that there was something about Fresco that was defective or inferior. Anyway all's well that ends well, and I'm happy if Mike's happy with MWF. Nothing wrong with that! :)
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, in my own case, if I haven't used a given soap for some time - especially if I have been using a soap that takes a different lathering approach - when I go back to the first soap, I don't always lather it optimally at first. So, what I'm saying is that even if the soap is familiar, if I haven't used it for awhile, it may take me a couple of lathers to get back to the best results with that soap. Without reference to other variables by Mike, I'm guessing that this could be his issue, also. For those who don't have this experience, it probably doesn't make sense.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

That makes sense to me, Murray. It does take a few days to get any soap or cream dialed in.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Razor burn is no fun. I had it once with a soap that's known for terrible performance. I made a terrible lather with it, and shaved with it anyway instead of dumping it and starting the lather all over. I paid for it. Never again. From now on it's either right or I don't use it. FWIW, the rest of that puck of Williams was used up in the shower.

RR products are really good. Yup, I'd try it again, just pay attention to what it wants next time. That's one reason I try to never use the same soap for 2 days running. I never want to get so tuned in to one product that I forget to pay attention to the soap and lather I'm making with it. But if one wanted to use only one product, the Fat would be an easy one to get comfortable with.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well -- this has become very interesting. I can't say that I personally lather up MWF any different than any of my other soaps. At least I don't consciously do anything different.

I can get razor burn with any soap if I don't pay proper attention to technique and preparation. ymmv ....... but I agree that razor burn is no fun at all. A couple of day's rest and you should be ok. If it's really bad, then 3 or 4 days. Good luck with the recovery.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?