Buying a new brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Mr.Max

Buying a new brush

Post by Mr.Max »

Hey guys, I got some money in my pocket, and I'm buying a new brush today. I'm trying to decide between a simpson tulip 3 and a polo 8 super. Now, I already own a t3 two band, a chubby 1 super, and a duke 3 (among others) for reference. I can't decide what I want. Would the polo knot be more like the duke or the chubby 1? My d3 is a bit of a bigger brush than my ch1 dispite being nominally similar. The polo handle looks kinda disproportional to the knot in pictures, but I don't have a long handled brush either. If the knot of the polo is closer to the d3 as opposed to the ch1, I'd probably be happy with it, just not sure if I will like the handle. My t3 is one of my favorite brushes, and I like the idea of getting a 3 band super to go with it, but I keep thinking about the polo too. Not sure what I want. I need help. Lol
~Matt
brothers

Re: Buying a new brush

Post by brothers »

Between the two, my choice would be the Polo, but mine would be a size or two larger, just because I like the taller lofts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

The Polo 8 and the Duke 3 should have very similar knots, yes. Both have a 25mm diameter, and a loft around 50mm, although perhaps the Polo 8 will have a couple extra mms.

Anyway, are those the only 2 options, Matt? I don't find the Polo handle to be ergonomic at all, so I'd probably go for the T3, which suits my hand pretty well, but since you already have one with a 2-Band knot, why not go for a different brush altogether? If you want Simpson's Super, have you considered a Chubby 2? Or is it too big for your taste?
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I ended up ordering the polo 8 super. I figured that I really like my duke 3, and I like the super hair, and I could give the handle a shot because I don't own anything else quite like it. As for the chubby 2, I actually own one of those too, but like my t3, its a two band. I actually was talking about buying another chubby in a previous thread, but to get it in super, (which is what I would want) was just a little out of the budget right now. It will have to wait a little longer ;)
I'll report back when I get the polo and use it. Thanks guys!
~Matt