Chubby 2

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
SirCur

Chubby 2

Post by SirCur »

OK - I recently acquired a Chubby 2 in best. It is really a nice brush, as many people already know - great density and performance. I have used this for creams and soaps with excellent results - good for lathering in a bowl or directly on your face.

Here is the reason for this post - I find the handle a little underwhelming. For a brush that packs a LOT of badger, the handle is small. Is there a brush that has a similar loft and performance, with a better handle? BTW, I have no issue with the aesthetics of the handle, it's just too "stubby" IMO.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

The Simpson Polo 10 is very similar according to those that have both. It has a longer handle with a fairly similar bristle.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, the Polo #10 is pretty much the same knot. Maybe a tad less dense, but if so, by very little.
Regards,
Gordon
Steve

Post by Steve »

Steve,

I love the handle of the chubby! It's short and fat and I get really good grip on it! After awhile it will grow on you.

Steve
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

Steve wrote:I love the handle of the chubby!
Me too! The Chubby/Stubby/Duke/Rooney 1 style handle is among my very favorites. DGNED and all that. :)
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

I really REALLY want a Chubby 2 knot in a slightly overweight PJ3 handle.

And no, do NOT bloody tell me to get a Polo. The thing is a new level of ugly, and there is no way that handle fits in my hand like a PJ3. Besides, it is too long.
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Re: Chubby 2

Post by drP »

SirCur wrote:OK - I recently acquired a Chubby 2 in best. It is really a nice brush, as many people already know - great density and performance. I have used this for creams and soaps with excellent results - good for lathering in a bowl or directly on your face.

Here is the reason for this post - I find the handle a little underwhelming. For a brush that packs a LOT of badger, the handle is small. Is there a brush that has a similar loft and performance, with a better handle? BTW, I have no issue with the aesthetics of the handle, it's just too "stubby" IMO.

Best ... Steve
Sounds to me that the Emillion would be a good candidate, although the loft/knot diameter is smaller....
Peter
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

MOSES wrote:I really REALLY want a Chubby 2 knot in a slightly overweight PJ3 handle.

And no, do NOT bloody tell me to get a Polo. The thing is a new level of ugly, and there is no way that handle fits in my hand like a PJ3. Besides, it is too long.
This must be my day as a "yes man." :P Used a Polo 8 a couple of times and didn't care for it at all. :-B But a CH2 knot in a PJ handle? Oh, baby! =D> \:D/
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Chifunda wrote:
MOSES wrote:I really REALLY want a Chubby 2 knot in a slightly overweight PJ3 handle.

This must be my day as a "yes man." :P Used a Polo 8 a couple of times and didn't care for it at all. :-B But a CH2 knot in a PJ handle? Oh, baby! =D> \:D/
How 'bout a bloody Shavemac loft in a bloody ÜberPJ handle....
Peter
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

You just HAD to do that, didn't you, Peter? :mrgreen:
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Chifunda wrote:
Steve wrote:I love the handle of the chubby!
Me too! The Chubby/Stubby/Duke/Rooney 1 style handle is among my very favorites. DGNED and all that. :)
Perhaps you're right - I'm giving this brush some time to used to it. 5 days in a row now and counting. We'll see if the handle size / shape grows on me. I also have a Rooney 1, medium that has a slightly larger handle (better IMO).

... Steve
To want what I have
For this I pray
SirCur

Re: Chubby 2

Post by SirCur »

drP wrote:
SirCur wrote:OK - I recently acquired a Chubby 2 in best. It is really a nice brush, as many people already know - great density and performance. I have used this for creams and soaps with excellent results - good for lathering in a bowl or directly on your face.

Best ... Steve
Sounds to me that the Emillion would be a good candidate, although the loft/knot diameter is smaller....
Peter, given that the Emillion loft is smaller - are the badger properties similar to the Chubby 2? The handle on the Emillion looks like a good size / shape. I'll have to check the Polo 10 model specs also.

... Steve
To want what I have
For this I pray
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

I plan on taking the Emillion plunge just as soon as Jim gets them back in stock. The comparison with a CH2 should be interesting.

The published stats I find show the Chubby having 27/50 knot/loft dimensions (in millimeters) and the Heritage with 24/50. I suspect the character of the hair will come into play, but to what extent I have no idea.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

The Emillion and the Chubby 2 in best are very similar regarding bristle characteristics, although the badger in the Emillion loft is packed even denser than in the CH2, hence the loft of the Emillion is stiffer and compacter. Apart from these loft differences there's the difference in loft dimensions as described above....

All in all the Emillion could be a good surrogate to replace a CH2 best...
Peter
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

drP wrote:All in all the Emillion could be a good surrogate to replace a CH2 best...
"Replace!?" Get ahold of yourself man! I'm talking about in addition to! :D Good grief, Peter, you of all people should know better. :wink: :)

Seriously, thank you for the information. 8)
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Chifunda wrote:
drP wrote:All in all the Emillion could be a good surrogate to replace a CH2 best...
"Replace!?" Get ahold of yourself man! I'm talking about in addition to! :D Good grief, Peter, you of all people should know better. :wink: :)

Seriously, thank you for the information. 8)
LOL....maybe i'm getting back to a more "normal" state of mind....perhaps even the onset of a cure for my SBAD..... :wink:
Peter
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Tulip has an oversized (and rather too heavy) handle for the size of knot/loft in my view. I know others disagree.
For myself, the CH2 and CH3 in Best are amongst the finest brushes made.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Steve, Yeah, given the price of the CH2, I think it would be wise to give it a bit more time. I've found that at least part of our preferences in brush size, handle style ( and razor size too ) is a factor of what we're used to. Yes, a Rooney Emillion is very similiar in it's bristle knot and general characteristics to a Chubby......a Chubby #1 that is.

Moses, Interestingly, and against my expectations, I've found that the Polo #8 handle is actually more comfortable for me then is the PJ3. So, it's a very individual thing, and sometimes we get surprised.
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

bernards66 wrote:Yes, a Rooney Emillion is very similiar in it's bristle knot and general characteristics to a Chubby......a Chubby #1 that is.
Gordon, only a Chubby #1? Just when that dreaded SBAD was starting to cause an itch for the Emillion. :o
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
sebell

Post by sebell »

Bah! You know a Chubby 1 is way more brush than a
T2 :)

- Scott