Pashana Bay Rum Hair Tonic - ok for aftershave?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Pashana Bay Rum Hair Tonic - ok for aftershave?

Post by VinceFX »

Charles,

What are your thoughts on using Pashana Bay Rum Hair Tonic as an aftershave?

I love the scent of Bay Rum and have yet to find an acceptable aftershave in this scent. I figured...why not use the Pashana hair tonic. Is there any downside to using hair tonic on your face?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Vince
:::Vince:::
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Vince,

The Royall Bay rum is a great hair tonic/aftershave. Have you ever tried that kind?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Vince -

I do not think it is wise to put alcohol-based scents on your face. At minimum they dry ... for sensitive skin, they irriate. That said, ALL the Pashana hair tonics can be used as after shaves/colognes. If you like to put an after shave on your face for the antiseptic qualities of the alcohol ... it's your face. Simply do what you find most efficacious and what brings you the most pleasure.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Thanks Charles...I did indeed use the Pashana tonic as an aftershave. It is quite pleasing and no more irritating than some other alcohol based aftershaves that I already use (I.e. Old Spice). I think I will add this to my rotation.

Pete...no I have not used Royal Bay Rum...where can I learn more about it?

Vince
:::Vince:::
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Vince,

I will post some pictures of it. It is a really pleasing scent and reasonable too!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

VinceFX wrote:Thanks Charles...I did indeed use the Pashana tonic as an aftershave. It is quite pleasing and no more irritating than some other alcohol based aftershaves that I already use (I.e. Old Spice). I think I will add this to my rotation.
Vince
I have not seen too much discussion of Pashana Bay Rum on the forums but it can absolutely be used as an aftershave splash. That little alcohol sting just lets you know you are alive. :D
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, Well, like with the cream vs. soap thing, the prevailing view vis a vis A/S products was different at that time. Back then, as Charles/QED's post makes clear, heavily alcohol based A/S were generally considered to be a no-no. Squire was one of the few who kept insisting that they were the ticket, but most did not concur ( although, in truth, quite a few neophyte members had never actually tried them ). Myself, I'd tried them repeatedly and found they were definately not for me. Vince's experimentation with bay rum as an A/S was unusual for that period.
Regards,
Gordon
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

bernards66 wrote:Phil, Well, like with the cream vs. soap thing, the prevailing view vis a vis A/S products was different at that time. Back then, as Charles/QED's post makes clear, heavily alcohol based A/S were generally considered to be a no-no. Squire was one of the few who kept insisting that they were the ticket, but most did not concur ( although, in truth, quite a few neophyte members had never actually tried them ). Myself, I'd tried them repeatedly and found they were definately not for me. Vince's experimentation with bay rum as an A/S was unusual for that period.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, it is interesting how prevailing preferences change. Personally, I find that the time of year makes a difference. In the drier winter months I use an ASB more frequently but in the warmer, more humid months, I definitely prefer an alcohol based Splash such as Alt Innsbruck or Mr. Taylor. I concur though that cheap drugstore brands (at least for me) are a no-no.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Janus

Post by Janus »

Phil, I recommend trying Caldey Island aftershaves. They've become my favorite splashes, quite light but with a bit of oil, not much sting at all and discreetly scented. The Original smells a lot like Musgo Real IMO and their Lavender, well, the name says it.
Janus
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Janus wrote:Phil, I recommend trying Caldey Island aftershaves. They've become my favorite splashes, quite light but with a bit of oil, not much sting at all and discreetly scented. The Original smells a lot like Musgo Real IMO and their Lavender, well, the name says it.
This is a new one for me...I will have to give it a try. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

- Phil
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

BullGoose wrote:
VinceFX wrote:Thanks Charles...I did indeed use the Pashana tonic as an aftershave. It is quite pleasing and no more irritating than some other alcohol based aftershaves that I already use (I.e. Old Spice). I think I will add this to my rotation.
Vince
I have not seen too much discussion of Pashana Bay Rum on the forums but it can absolutely be used as an aftershave splash. That little alcohol sting just lets you know you are alive. :D
Indeed Phil. Pashana's bay rum is named exactly as D.R Harris used to refer to theirs...."American Bay Rum." I've seen some of those Harris bottles as late as 2007-08. Bay Rum was ALWAYS used as an 'all-purpose' potion...hair, face, body...yep. Phil, If you are interested... track-down a bottle of Geo. Trumper's "Milk of Flowers" A/S. I think you would be very struck by this one. There are a few out there yet ,but be advised, it's the same price for 100 ml as their 100 ml colognes go for. Would I mislead you though.....come on.

Best,
Fitch
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

BullGoose wrote:
Janus wrote:Phil, I recommend trying Caldey Island aftershaves. They've become my favorite splashes, quite light but with a bit of oil, not much sting at all and discreetly scented. The Original smells a lot like Musgo Real IMO and their Lavender, well, the name says it.
This is a new one for me...I will have to give it a try. Thank you very much for the recommendation.
Phil, I haven't tried the A/S but I use the Caldey Lavender Water- it is exquisite in terms of the scent. The A/S is on my to buy list when I have to re-order.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

F.W. Fitch wrote:
Indeed Phil. Pashana's bay rum is named exactly as D.R Harris used to refer to theirs...."American Bay Rum." I've seen some of those Harris bottles as late as 2007-08. Bay Rum was ALWAYS used as an 'all-purpose' potion...hair, face, body...yep. Phil, If you are interested... track-down a bottle of Geo. Trumper's "Milk of Flowers" A/S. I think you would be very struck by this one. There are a few out there yet ,but be advised, it's the same price for 100 ml as their 100 ml colognes go for. Would I mislead you though.....come on.

Best,
Fitch
Thank you for the recommendation. Where might one run this down? Is the B/S/T the best bet or can you still order it directly from GFT?

- Phil
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Pete...no I have not used Royal Bay Rum...where can I learn more about it?

Vince
Vince,

Is this what you are referencing?. I am a recent devotee of the product.
Initially, I though it a bit medicinal but am now quite fond of it, nice cooling menthol finish. Tightens/tones the skin up but doesn't dry. As always YMMV.

Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

m3m0ryleak wrote: Vince,

Is this what you are referencing?. I am a recent devotee of the product.
Initially, I though it a bit medicinal but am now quite fond of it, nice cooling menthol finish. Tightens/tones the skin up but doesn't dry. As always YMMV.

Tony...I used the Royall Bay Rhum over the weekend and I concur. It was definitely a nice change of pace and makes a great warm weather aftershave.

- Phil
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

On the subject of hair tonics as aftershave I've tried Pashana EdQuinine w/o oil and it burned like hell.
It was better with a wet face, but..

I'm sticking to aftershaves as aftershaves.
BullGoose wrote:Personally, I find that the time of year makes a difference. In the drier winter months I use an ASB more frequently but in the warmer, more humid months, I definitely prefer an alcohol based Splash[...]
+1
Eric