Super Speed Identification

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
AsylumGuido

Super Speed Identification

Post by AsylumGuido »

This is something I posted on another site, but I feel it could be of value here, as well:
After having posted this information in bits and pieces I felt I would be, with recent prompting ... :wink: ... a good idea to bring it all together. I know there are a couple of other quirks that I will add over time. And, please, if anyone comes up with new or better info let me know so I can add to or update. This is a work in progress. Anyway, on to the Super Speeds!

You really can't go wrong with the 40's, 50's, 60's or the 70's styles. They'll all give you a good starting point to let you know if you want, or need to go more aggressive or more mild. Here's some sample shots of the many types available.

40's Style (many feel it is the best of the bunch)

The first 40's style Super Speeds appear in or around 1947. These razors did not commonly have the date code on the underside of the base until 1951, yet there have been a limited number of V code late 1950 models turn up. The 1947 SS can be uniquely identified by the lack of a notch at the end of the center bar. In 1948 the notched bar was introduced to make the auto-loading of the new dispenser blades easier. The razor shown below is an example of the no notched 1947. Note the "wings" at the ends of the center bar. According to several users this razor is milder in nature than the later notched versions. Many thanks to B&B member mr-razor (Achim) for his donation of these comparison pictures.

Below is pictured a '48-'50 notched Super Speed for comparison. The reason you will see these referred to as '48-'50 is that without the identifying date code there is no way to nail down the exact production year beyond that range.

Here are the two variations side by side along with directions for use with the newer notched version.

There was a variation of the 40's style known as the Black Tip. It came in the aluminum handle (bottom) and the standard handle (top). The TTO knob on the Black Tip was the only plastic example in the Super Speeds.

In the third quarter of 1954 (date codes Z-3 and Z-4) Gillette gave the 40's style Super Speed its last hurrah with a special limited edition re-release promoting the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. Once again thanks to Achim for the image as I no longer have mine with the case. The razor itself is identical to the latter 40's styles.

50's Style - A richer knurled handle and a flair tip introduced in 1954 (Z date code).

The 50's style also comes in a more aggressive model called the Red Tip. This one is a favorite among many wanting that aggressive shave.

And a more mild version called the Blue Tip which had an aluminum handle and was a favorite of the ladies of the day before the Lady Gillette of 25 years later.

This brings to light another subtle variation with the Blue Tip. Notice the shorter TTO knob on the 1959 (E-4) on the left. There is only one horizontal ring as opposed to the two on the 1956 (B-1) on the right. Thanks to B&B member scottydoint for this picture. I hope to come up with more clarification and will update here as this muddiness clears.

Another very special variation of the 50's style Super Speed was the 1958 TV Special which was released as another promotion for the American television show, The Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. Note the vertical knurling as opposed to the "checkered" or bi-lateral knurling of the standard 50's style. This razor came in a red version of the TV Special case pictured above with its 1954 TV cousin.

60's Style - Note the lack of horizontal grooves on the TTO knob and the slight difference in general knurling from the 50's version. Also note the lower profile head.

And finally, what I like to call the 70's style, the black handle Super Speed. It is lighter weight and delivers a nice shave as does it's predecessors.

I will add to this post as I have in hand new and different Super Speeds.

P.S. I know, I haven't even touched on the Rockets (European and Canadian versions of this great razor). :001_rolle
Last edited by AsylumGuido on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

the 1948 superspeed is an awesome razor. until i discovered GEMs, it was the only razor i used for 7 years.
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

Very nice and informative write up Guido! What, no tan tip? :wink:
Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Nice coverage of Gillette's true classic. I'm fortunate to have a specimen of each incarnation except the no-notch. They are my most consistently reliable shavers.
Rich
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Guido,

You have become the "guru" of Gillette Super Speeds. Very nice, no a great post about the Super Speeds. I'm gonna bookmark it and I suggest that the mods Please sticky this post at the top of the forum. Thanks much for helping me and a lot of others know more about the Gillette Super Speed.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
deshaveman

Post by deshaveman »

Incredible post! And timely too! My RAD is just starting to take off and my '71 SS needs some brothers and sisters ;)

+1 Sticky this post!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Guido -- hope you get your Masters in the History of Mid 20th Century Shaving Tools with this dissertation. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ssfan

Post by ssfan »

Hi AsylumGuido

I am new to the forum and pretty new to DE shaving. So it's great to stumble across your very informative post. I was handed down a Gillette SS by my father over 30 years ago which I have used on and off since(mostly off).

Only recently I picked it up and looked at it properly.I very quickly came to the conclusion that people don't make things like this anymore and felt a duty to keep the razor and the tradition of DE shaving going.

Really, it's not a bad shave either. So I have been using it everyday for the past 3 to 4 weeks and really enjoying the experience.

Then it came to the point when I wanted to find out a bit more about the razor, but have only got so far and I am a bit stuck. Perhaps you could help! My Superspeed has a Gillette diamond, made in England and III marked on the underside, and Brit.pat.694093 stamped on the inside. The center bar is notched, but is solid rather than a folded construction as shown in your photo. There is no date code. All these details are (from what research I have done so far) consistent with the English made Rocket.

However, the handle looks identical to a flared red tip Superspeed made in USA as your photo's when normally, from what I have read, I would expect a "gap" directly above the TTO knob when the silo doors are closed.

I therefore appear to have a hybrid here. Have you come across these before? I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has the same SS as mine!

Regards
SSFAN
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

Welcome to the board ssfan! I believe what you have is what I call an English Super Speed. I am fortunate to have all three versions of these oddities that are neither Rocket's nor true Super Speed's. I think they are a bit less common than the Rockets.

Here are all three SS style English TTO's. They are marked with a I, II and III respectively whereas some of the colored American SS series have an "O" on each side of the Blue Tip handle and a "+" on either side of the handle to designate the Red Tip.

Here's a closeup of the English Red Tip Rocket to the left and the English Red Tip SS on the right.

Here's a closeup of a British Blue Tip SS and the American model on the right.

American Super Speed vs. English Rocket comparison:
40's Super Speed, 40's Rocket; Flare Tip Super Speed, Flare Tip Rocket; TV SS, TV Rocket; Red Tip SS, Red Tip Rocket.

I think it's safe to say that, thankfully, Gillette made many, many variations that keep us collectors on our toes. What always seems to be a constant on the English TTO's is the pointed side plates as opposed to the blunt endcaps common to American one piece razors.

Here's one of the oddest hybrids in my collection what I call an American Rocket.

Then you have the thinner knobbed Parat's.

No one has ever been able to explain to me why some Rockets have little notches or "teeth" underhead while others do not.

ImageImage

ImageImage

A parting shot of a standard Rocket next to a nearly all aluminum Rocket called a Paperclip.

Yes I do love Rockets!!
Last edited by MTgrayling on Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chris

Hoos

Post by Hoos »

ssfan,

Welcome to SMF. It sounds like you have a British Flare-Tip Rocket. The Rocket was the name Gillette used for the Superspeed in Britain.

Someone told me that the Roman numerals on the bottom of the head (I, II or III) indicated the aggressiveness of the razor with I being the gentlest - comparable to the red-tip, black-tip, and blue-tip superspeeds sold in the US

Here's a picture of the one I have:

Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
ssfan

Post by ssfan »

Thank you very much MTgrayling & Hoos for the prompt replies. Now I know there are others out there! English Super Speed is a perfect description. The next thing I would like to find out is the date (or est date) of manufacture and just as a matter of interest, how much it is worth (not that I am going to sell it).

Just checked, my SS does have pointed side plates.

Cheers
SSFAN
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

ssfan wrote:Thank you very much MTgrayling & Hoos for the prompt replies. Now I know there are others out there! English Super Speed is a perfect description. The next thing I would like to find out is the date (or est date) of manufacture and just as a matter of interest, how much it is worth (not that I am going to sell it).

Just checked, my SS does have pointed side plates.

Cheers
SSFAN
This is where things get confusing, not at all like in my post above :D , if Gillette in England followed the same general timeline as the US Gillette plant did the colored series would have been made from 1955 until 1959 when they were phased out for the new Fat Boy adjustable's, which were only made in the USA.

As for value? They are worth quite a bit more than similiar American SS's to me, but I paid surprisingly little for my three English SS's, two of which came from Australia BTW. I sometimes do not think people recognize them for what they are and think them to be cobbled together by a mad collector in a basement somewhere.
Chris

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Excellent photos.....good stuff. The only Rockets I've used have been the heavier handled model that was, suppossedly, mainly for sale in France, although they were manufactured in England. The two I've had shaved a little differently, to my surprise. The milder of the two was one of my most favourite razors that I've ever used. The Model #58 that I currently use shaves pretty much just like it. Beutifully made pieces...their like is not made in the world today.
Regards,
Gordon
ssfan

Post by ssfan »

Chris

Interesting points there re value. As for the date of manufacturer, 55-59 would tally because I asked my dad this afternoon and he seemed to think that it was about 62/63 when he was given it as a present by a ship's chief steward (Glen line) in Hong Kong. It wasn't brand new then and was told it had "sailed around the world a few times". Still, it is in remarkably good condition even now. I will post a few photos for you to look at once I have worked out how to do it!

By the way, forgot to mention what a fantastic collection you had. Thank you for sharing.

SSFAN
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

Nice job Guido--it is a good primer for those looking to learn more about the Super Speed. Thanks for putting that together.

Chris--very nice collection.
Danny
ssfan

Post by ssfan »

Photos of my English Red Tip Super Speed as promised !

ssfan

otherstar

Post by otherstar »

On other versions of this thread on other boards, did anyone ever come up with a conclusive answer about the Z1 40's style Super Speed? I've got one and was just trying to get more information about it. Isn't it a TV Special?
Turn me over, I'm done on this side...St. Lawrence

--Jeff
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

otherstar wrote:On other versions of this thread on other boards, did anyone ever come up with a conclusive answer about the Z1 40's style Super Speed? I've got one and was just trying to get more information about it. Isn't it a TV Special?
The Z-3's and Z-4's were the first TV's that came in the blue cases. The Z-1 was the last of the regular 40's style Super Speeds and as such aren't very uncommon, I had three at one time. I've never seen an old style Z-2, yet.
Chris

Gene

Post by Gene »

Hi Guido,

I sent a PM the other day.

Also - I was wondering if there was a way to rate these different SS's for their aggressive/gentle tendencies.

I know shaving with a razor is a YMMV experience, but has there ever been a discussion on how mild, or aggressive, any of these SS's are? Or a ranking -- these are considered mildest to these are considered most aggressive?

I wouldn't think the adjustable razors would factor in, simply because they adjust, but I might be wrong?

I know my '55 red tip is considered aggressive, but I like it a lot, and don't feel it's as aggressive as my 1932 Canadian Tech.

And, while we're at it - where do the Tech's fit in on the scale?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
The Zook

Post by The Zook »

Really should be a sticky anyway 8)