What's the deal with splashes?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
TheRuckus13

What's the deal with splashes?

Post by TheRuckus13 »

Alright, I have been using Aqua Velva Classic Blue for some time now. However, as of lately I find myself reaching for Nivea balm (or any other type of balm) more than my splash. Why? Well, first off I can actually get the balm in my hand, and on my face evenly. How do you guys work with splashes? No matter how I try splash ends up in the sink, and all over the bottle I have to clean up the area every time I use it, do you guys just deal with the splash mess?
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I use AV Blue Ice sometimes, and I don't pour out enough to literally splash. I use just enough to get both of my hands wet and rub the aftershave into my face and neck. Same when I use Old Spice, Woods o' Windsor, or the dreaded Aramis. Seems to work ok for me.

--Glenn
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Plug the bottle with the palm of your hand to create a more controlled situation.
King-D

Post by King-D »

I enjoy a liberal splash of alcohol AS, and there's no getting around the fact that it's going to run down your hands and possibly on the counter. I've also learned to close my eyes when "splashing" the AS. That'll burn ya good!
David

Shave in the shower!
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

Personally, I think these things are outmoded. If you're shaving properly you shouldn't need them.

It's similar to using Listerine, I've found. If you've practiced good brushing technique, it serves no purpose but only dries the mouth, as splash AS does to the skin.

Note Listerine only burns if you have an inflamed/problematic mouth.

So alcohol on the skin or in the mouth is good for only two things: gauging your technique.
IanM

Post by IanM »

I use a splash almost every day. 3 shakes into my right palm (the bottles have the small hole caps), rub hands together and pat onto face/neck. I then sometimes use what I can only describe as a "rolling" action with my palms/fingers on my face.

I've got so good at this, I don't even need to do it over the sink.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Occam

Post by Occam »

I use my own blend of Turkish cologne and witch hazel. The cologne I buy from a local delicatessen that sells continental products and the one I have is EST (Eyup Sabri Tuncer) though they bring in various brands depending on what's available. My 500 mL bottle has lasted me 18 months already and I still have more than half.

Anyhow the way I use it is to pour a small amount in the cup of my left hand and then I rub my hands together and rub over my face. A small amount goes a long way.

I follow it up with coral skin food and to give an idea of that... a 15mL sample lasted me about 60 days and that small amount used each time is enough to go over my face, smooth as it is, and still have enough residue on my palms that I rub the remainder into the remainder of my hair :)

And it never runs out of my palm etc... since I pour it into the centre of my cupped palm by putting the side of the bottle on my palm (like IanM above it has a small hole)... you can always go for another little bit if the first lot doesn't cover every part of your face.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I keep reading threads questioning why anyone would use the products I use every day. I really think it has to do with skin oils. While I can get by with balms on cold, dry days, most of the year I need to use an alum block and a splash to keep my skin from being even more oily than normal and breaking out. I really view it as a personal thing based on skin oiliness and individual chemistry.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Boyextraordinare wrote:Personally, I think these things are outmoded. If you're shaving properly you shouldn't need them.
These two sentences don't go together. If they're unnecessary, they've always been unnecessary, and therefore can't be outmoded.
Boyextraordinare wrote:So alcohol on the skin or in the mouth is good for only two things: gauging your technique.
What's the other thing (I assume taste is the answer: bourbon in the mouth for instance is very good)?

I think that alcohol-based splashes are pleasant, and yes, they can help reduce the oiliness of skin as pointed out above. They also sterilize the just-shaved skin (not only cuts: you've just scraped away skin cells, i.e., exfoliated, and the alcohol helps seal the skin against infection. Besides, as I said, they can be quite pleasant and are a good way to get a short burst of fragrances that disappears (as in Booster scents) or not (AV Musk).

As for how to use them, I too get too much splash with some bottles, Aqua Velva for instance, and I have transferred the contents to a 3 oz. plastic travel bottle with a lid similar to that of Booster aftershaves. It has a flip-top lid with only a small orifice for liquid to exit the container. Easier to control the volume this way.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau