Kent and MWF questions

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
GA Russell

Kent and MWF questions

Post by GA Russell »

I have a little money to spend, and I think I would like to try some MWF for the first time.

The lowest price I have seen for MWF shipped to a US address is at westcoastshaving.com. As I recall, the puck is $18, and the puck with the porcelain bowl is $48.

I have read here that the Kent soap is MWF with a private label. That's good enough for me. I went to Kent's ebay store. Their price is $8.80 for the puck in a wooden bowl, plus the same again for shipping to the US.

Is the size of the Kent puck the same as that of the MWF puck? It doesn't say.

Everything at the ebay store is Buy It Now. So I'm wondering, can I order two and save on the shipping?

The proper Kent website lists prices much greater than its own ebay store.

I doubt that I am the first to have considered this. I suspect that somewhere here I would find (if the search function were working) that my questions have already been answered.

Does anybody know?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just checked the Kent website, and they want $8.19 (5.5 British Pounds)for one refill puck. I checked on ebay, and the Kent soap listings, and did not find an ebay store named Kent. There were 2 or 3 ebay stores selling Kent soap, but their prices are a lot higher. I'm only saying I couldn't locate a Kent ebay store. For $8.19 plus shipping, it looks like the main Kent website is the way to go, IF they cut you some slack on the shipping. Realistically, I would anticipate that there would be little, if any, increase, just for 2 instead of 1. The way to check is to go ahead and create an account, and go through the ordering process, where shipping is calculated and you know the full price you are expected to pay, before you click to finalize the deal. That's what I'd do.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JimR

Post by JimR »

Connaught shaving has the refill pucks for 4.90 GBP, shipping is 3.50
Total 8.40GBP , or about $12.50 shipped.
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's your answer. I recommend Connaught.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Here is the Kent ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Kentbrushes_Shav ... idZ2QQtZkm

There, the price is 5.95 pounds for the puck and bowl plus 5.50 pounds shipping, totalling 11.45 pounds.

Jim, that looks like a great price for the puck, but I would want a bowl as well. That's why I'm looking at the Kent.

The price for the puck alone at the proper Kent website is 5.5 pounds. For the puck in the wooden bowl the price is 15 pounds.

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayp ... %3B+creams

And does anyone know if the Kent puck is the same size as the MWF puck?
Fitness
Lijun badger
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have both Kent and MWF. The actual soap is absolutely identical in every way, same size same scent etc etc.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GA, You don't want the Kent wooden bowl, trust me. It's poor quality and not worth having. Just get the soap, and put it in something else.
Regards,
Gordon
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

OK guys! Unless someone has a better idea, I'll go with Connaught.
Fitness
Lijun badger
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think Kent may have new better bowls for sale on their main website, and that the discounted ones on the Kentbrushes ebay store are the ones with the low-quality wood.

I have one of the discount bowls, and while it's very rough inside and the lid doesn't fit nicely, it does its job OK.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Connaught.
IanM

Post by IanM »

I bought MWF with a wooden bowl from Paul at Connaught, and have had no issues with the bowl. I'm not saying that it's outstandingly beautiful or anything, but it appears to do the job just fine.

I can recommend Connaught shaving. Great service, and always my first stop for supplies.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

Russell, I have bought a cake from Connaughtshaving.com and it's the cheapest price I've found. Good service too from Paul!
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Kent brushes is gbkent on ebay.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

bernards66 wrote:GA, You don't want the Kent wooden bowl, trust me. It's poor quality and not worth having. Just get the soap, and put it in something else.
Regards,
Gordon
Ditto. This is why they're selling them so inexpensively on the ebay store though.

For me, since my soap dishes barely get wet, the cheap Kent bowl works pretty niftily, but this isn't typical.
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

I purchased my wooden bowl version from the Kent store on eBay, but I bought both my refills from Connaughtshaving.com.

The wooden bowl isn't worth the extra money, imho, unless you really have nothing else to put the puck into. It is a bit over sized in diameter compared to other soaps and won't fit into a "normal" coffee mug or shave mug.
I'm not sure if any vendors make larger shave mugs that will fit, but I've seen coffee mugs on and off at my local store that would work probably fine. I'd imagine you could probably fond something at your local supermarket.

The Kent bowl puck is the same size, and volume, as the refill.

As far as vendors go, Connaughtshaving.com. I've done business with Paul a couple times now and I can't recommend him highly enough. Good prices (even with the dollar being weak to the pound), and reasonably affordable, and quick, shipping. Good selection as well.
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...