Grated some shave sticks

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DesertRat

Grated some shave sticks

Post by DesertRat »

Just for fun, I thought I would give grating some shave sticks a try. I know this has been done before but I had to give it a go and share!

Picked up a 4 pack of Anchor Hocking custard bowls (6oz) at Target. Used a hand held cheese grater and a butcher's knife along with some wax paper.

Here are the final result pics.

Valobra:

Speick:

Paul
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Looks almost good enough to sprinkle over some pasta. :wink:
~Greg
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm convinced this is the better way to use soaps like this.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Paul, I've never gone to the trouble of grating a soap but certainly agree that the bowl is the way to go. My current using soaps all reside in bowls similar to yours and that gives me room to create lather on top of the soap.
Regards,
Squire
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Squire wrote:Paul, I've never gone to the trouble of grating a soap but certainly agree that the bowl is the way to go. My current using soaps all reside in bowls similar to yours and that gives me room to create lather on top of the soap.
Thanks Squire. I did it just to do it. Purely for fun. I'll probably do it again since I have 1 bowl left. I used the 3rd bowl to hold my puck of IK.

BTW, SWMBO said "You have an interesting hobby there" snicker, snicker. She agreed that using my own cheese grater was the way to go. :)
Paul
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Paul,

Use your remaining bowl for grated Palmolive shave stick, it's a winner used like this as well.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, that's exactly what I do with my Valobra Shave Sticks. I find those little glass bowls so convenient that I have even grated cakes of soap (one half at a time) into them, and they're perfect for a serving of Cella soft soap from the one-kilo brick!

- Murray
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I like the labelling... looks better than my Brother P-Touch
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I like the labelling... looks better than my Brother P-Touch
Just cut out the labels from the box and used double-sided tape.
Paul
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

CMur12 wrote:Paul, that's exactly what I do with my Valobra Shave Sticks. I find those little glass bowls so convenient that I have even grated cakes of soap (one half at a time) into them, and they're perfect for a serving of Cella soft soap from the one-kilo brick!

- Murray
Thanks Murray. You know that's a great idea. I'll have to put the Cella brick on my wish list.
Paul
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

m3m0ryleak wrote:Paul,

Use your remaining bowl for grated Palmolive shave stick, it's a winner used like this as well.
Haven't tried the Palmolive yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now I have it in mind to save the last one for some Irisch Moos!
Paul
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm a firm believer in the grating of shave sticks.
-Andrew-
Blue As A Jewel

I tried my La Toja as a shave stick and it was terrific, as have been my QED sticks... the Irisch Moos? Not so much - it kept sticking to my face which I found irritating... as in annoying. So it's destined for a good ol' fashioned gratin'...

Does a food processor work?
- Ravi -

loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

drumana wrote:I'm a firm believer in the grating of shave sticks.
But.....but.....when you grate them, they aren't shave sticks anymore! That's called a shave soap. :shock:

I actually like to great shave soaps and reform them as shave sticks! But I'm like that. My p160 morbido stick and Speick de Provence stick are particularly wonderful.
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I have a cheese grater(one with a handle that turns) and have grated all my soaps except for Irisch Moos and LaToja only because they are in nice containers. Everything else got grated down in the same bowls. Lather so much better and I dont have to rub a stick on my face. I dont mind using a stick but just rather lather of a puck. Alot of stick soaps are amazing performers also.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I don't like grating shave sticks (or, really, anything), and I do enjoy using the shave stick as designed. OTOH, I've been thinking about converting a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap to a shaving stick. I was thinking of simply cutting a stick through the center of the puck, and then use the two remaining pieces in a bowl.

It's too bad MWF doesn't actually make a shave stick, but cutting one out of puck would work, I believe.
Blue As A Jewel

Leisureguy wrote:I don't like grating shave sticks (or, really, anything), and I do enjoy using the shave stick as designed. OTOH, I've been thinking about converting a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap to a shaving stick. I was thinking of simply cutting a stick through the center of the puck, and then use the two remaining pieces in a bowl.

It's too bad MWF doesn't actually make a shave stick, but cutting one out of puck would work, I believe.
Michael, you're a true contrarian! :lol:
- Ravi -

loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Leisureguy wrote:I don't like grating shave sticks (or, really, anything), and I do enjoy using the shave stick as designed. OTOH, I've been thinking about converting a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap to a shaving stick. I was thinking of simply cutting a stick through the center of the puck, and then use the two remaining pieces in a bowl.

Get one of those old spice deoderants in the red plastic old school push up format. Dump the deoderant and wash the holder. Get some plastic baby bottle liners. Grate the MWF puck, put the shavings in the bottle liner, add couple drops of water, and the squeez and mush the shavings into a stick shape in the bottler liner (it'll be rough). Then put in in the bottom of the now empty and clean deoderant holder and force through the holder, which will shape the stick to the contours of the holder. Then when you are done, put it in the freezer over night. In morning, run it through warm water and wala, MWF shaving stick.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I don't like using sticks on my face, so I grate the sticks into bowls. The soap works much better and is easier to lather up.
I've tried it with Valobra, Palmolive, Arko, and a few others with equal success.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The one universal truth about shaving: YMMV.

I really like shave sticks a lot, and I enjoy using them. But I totally understand that another shaver could hate them.