Slant: Both Sides?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
GregPQ

Slant: Both Sides?

Post by GregPQ »

I've been using a Merkur Slant daily for several years, always with a Feather. I've noticed that one side is noticeably smoother, but have always made sure to use the 'bad' side equally to optimize blade life.

Lately I've been using only the smooth side and have been getting outstanding shaves.

So I was wondering if other members used only their Slant's 'good' side.
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'd probably take a hammer to it and make both sides good, but then I'm a bit cranky in the mornings.

Greg I share your curiosity over whether other members have had this experience.
Regards,
Squire
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

I have not noticed a difference with my slant although I have noticed it with other razors where the blade exposure is not even on both sides.

Eric.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I agree..I haven't had ANY issues with either side..maybe yours was made slightly different for some reason
yohannrjm

Post by yohannrjm »

Are you paying attention to the blade exposure on each side?

The Merkur slants I had have all allowed some play in the blade positioning. Perhaps you're aligning one side and leaving a different blade gap on the other side - which could explain the difference in shave quality.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen
brothers

Post by brothers »

My Slant works just fine, both sides. It's one of the smoothest shavers, consistently.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

yohannrjm wrote:Are you paying attention to the blade exposure on each side?

The Merkur slants I had have all allowed some play in the blade positioning. Perhaps you're aligning one side and leaving a different blade gap on the other side - which could explain the difference in shave quality.
I appreciate the feedback from all of you. Here's my routine:
  • Load a new blade by placing the top part of the Slant on the counter, pillar-up
    Drop new blade down the pillar
    Place the handle over the pillar and screw together
    After each shave, loosen the razor to allow for better rinsing and avoid the blade rust/discoloration I once experienced
    Re-tighten the razor before the next shave
I try to touch the blade as little as possible: how does one go about aligning for equalizing blade gap?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Greg. I have to admit I give absolutely no care to the issue of trying to align anything. I just drop the blade down and tighten it up. I've never had any issues with any alignment on any of my DE razors. That's just me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gundogs

Post by Gundogs »

No problem with my slant. I do check and insure that the blade is inserted and seated properly befog tightening.
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

Greg,

I have this issue with my 38C (barber pole). I originally thought it was just my imagination, but I've since convinced myself that one side shaves consistently better. For a while, I was only using the "good" side of the razor. I would shave for three days, then open the razor and turn the blade around and shave for three more days -- using both edges of the blade on the same side of the razor.

- Greenhouse.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I have Merkur, Coles, Hoffritz, and Pomco slants of various and unknown ages. All of them have the same play in blade positioning. I have to diddle around with the blade to get it as even as possible. Even then there's a noticeable difference between sides. But up to this point I haven't noticed one side is "better" than the other (thanks everyone!) although I suppose it's worth some consideration (or maybe obsession) at some point. I don't have this issue with my HD, and although I may be being biased from the slants it seems that there is a small amount of difference in exposure, one side to the other. It doesn't look to me like it's enough to make a difference.

Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Aren't all slants crooked to begin with.
Regards,
Squire
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I load my Merkur Slant in the palm of my hand post up and I have yet
to experience any noticeable difference in the shave in terms of one side
vis a vis the other.
JimJack

Re: Slant: Both Sides?

Post by JimJack »

I load my 39C then tighten slightly and adjust the blade for even gap on each side.
brothers

Post by brothers »

JimJack, I'm not trying to be smart or to challenge you at all, but I do have a serious question - what happens if you forget to adjust it? I am thinking that if it has a noticeable tendency to cut or something, then maybe it's defective? (PS: Thanks for joining SMF. I like your posts.)
Gary

Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

My 39C suffers a small amount of blade misalignment; visible to the eye but undetectable in the shave.
Rich
brothers

Post by brothers »

I want to share something that happened to me the last time I used the Mongoose razor. While shaving, instead of the normal safe and smooth glide, I was feeling some very uncharacteristic pulling and harshness. (It almost felt like the Cobra.) I took a look at it and discovered that I had loaded the blade carelessly, and it was jutting out dramatically, out of place, and thankfully there was no cut or scrape. I fixed it and all was right with the world again. Just goes to show that I should make it a habit to check the blade alignment every time before I begin to shave. (I thought I had already adopted that habit, but obviously not.)
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't recall ever having a blade alignment problem with any of my razors. If one ever did I'd stop using it.
Regards,
Squire