Just received my Kent/MWF

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
desmoface

Just received my Kent/MWF

Post by desmoface »

Can't wait to put the brush to her tomorrow morning. I'll report back and let everyone know if it lives up to all the MWF/Kent hype (for me).

And most importantly:

Steve
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The only down side of buying the Kent dish, is that you don't get the same levitation properties as the Mitchell's porcelain dish possesses. :wink:

Enjoy -- remember to treat it the same as any other soap --- i.e. work with it until you get the lather quality you want.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

use in good health....its good stuff

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Wendell; Clive, it definitely didn't have that magical aura about it, I may have to pick up the porcelain dish. Must have something to do with the Porcelain Gods :?: hehe.

I have to say, other than the soap wanting to dry out on me face a bit, it provided a fantastic shave. I was initially concerned about the fragrance, as usually soaps that are heavilly scented aggrivate my face - I haven't found a high end English soap (Floris, D.R. Harris) that I can use.

Also, the lather was pretty thin after the first pass, the blade started to bounce on my face - All I had to do was re-load the brush (Thater) and re-lather, and all was good. Maybe that will improve after I perfect my MWF lathering technique.

I have to say, no irritation and my face does get along well with the lanolin - Feels great. Comparing it to my standard, Tabac, the lather wasn't as cushioning, but the final result was great. I'll withhold judgement till I get a few more shaves with it - But at this point, I do believe it's right up there with Tabac as far as shave quality. So, it's definitely a keeper.

Steve
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

after failing with mfw twice i've learned to be patient and really overload the brush. also, don't be afraid to use water.

i get a creamier lather than tabac. try this,,when your face is lathered take your hands and rub the lathered face,,,you will feel the "goodness" of mwf
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Gil, I do notice that I had to load the brush a lot longer than normal. I think I just need to add more water in the loading process and keep on a loadin. I have to say, my face feels fantastic.

Steve
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

desmoface wrote:Hi Gil, I do notice that I had to load the brush a lot longer than normal. I think I just need to add more water in the loading process and keep on a loadin. I have to say, my face feels fantastic.

Steve
yes, i've learned to hit the mwf with a wet brush. i'll get suds but keep loading on the puck till it turns to lather
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

I'll give that a go, thanks for the advice.

Steve
franz

Post by franz »

I go at it from the opposite approach: more stingy with the water initially, but adding small amounts of it slowly. In both cases you are loading the brush with LOTS of product, which is all MWF ever really wanted.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

franz wrote:I go at it from the opposite approach: more stingy with the water initially, but adding small amounts of it slowly. In both cases you are loading the brush with LOTS of product, which is all MWF ever really wanted.
i grated a little off the puck for a buddy of mine. the remaining mwf was scored from the grater. those ridges are still there after 4 lathers. maybe the puck is so hard that we think we are loading an adequate amount when in fact very little is being removed from the puck.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

yeah, I wasn't a big fan of mwf, but I grated some ( to clean it before selling it, or so was my intent), and stuck the grated bits in a cup. I tried it once, and got a great lather. It was still a lot of work compared to, say, poraso, but it was a top notch lather.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I hit the MWF with a fairly wet boar brush (Omega 31064) and load for close to a minute before moving to the face for a couple more minutes, intermittently dipping the tips of the bristles into my sink full of hot water. This results in enough lather to shave a mule.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

The Seeker wrote:.... This results in enough lather to shave a mule.
:lol:

Love that phrase!

Roger
Last edited by Shave4Fun on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

i've learned to hit the mwf with a wet brush. i'll get suds but keep loading on the puck till it turns to lather
There's the secret to lathering MWF.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The soap in the wooden bowl is just gorgeous. I like the MWF bowl also, but the wooden bowl has a classy look all its own.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

That is a pretty picture. I just hope kent has gotten better bowls. Mine had an absolutely crummy finish. But it was bought three years ago.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Shave4Fun wrote:

Love that phase!

Roger
Never tried shaving a mule, but I would never be tempted to waste my Fat on one.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Shave4Fun wrote:

Love that phase!

Roger
I can't imagine the mule standing still that long! :lol:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You can lead a mule to lather but you can't make him shave. Mules are stubborn like that.
Regards,
Squire
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Are you lathering on your face or in a bowl/scuttle. I use a scuttle and get a lather that looks like this every morning.

Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years