Simpsons Chubby 3 and Tulip 4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Simpsons Chubby 3 and Tulip 4

Post by brothers »

Just thinking about just one more new brush. One that might be so perfect it might be my last. Simpsons are almost everybody's favorite, and I totally respect that. I've never had one. At the current time I'm looking for a big brush. I like three banded silvertip/super, in lofts of 62 to 65 or so, if I can get it.

I've already got a handful of good brushes (3) that are in the 55 to 60 range, and I'm ready to move up a notch. There are a few makers of larger lofts, and they're on my list. I'm going to get one, it's just a question of which one.

But back to the point. Simpsons. I'd be a fool to overlook Simpsons Chubby 3 and Tulip 4. I know these two are going to be around 58 to 60mm lofts, and no doubt, I could easily be happy with that, if that's the brush I ended up with. If I was going to buy a new Simpsons brush, I'm sure I'd be quite satisfied with either a Chubby 3 or a Tulip 4, in super. I use my brushes for creams and soaps without preference.

I'm hoping you Simpsons guys will share your experiences with these two big brushes. What should I expect from these two beauties? What are the good qualities that will make me happy I chose a Simpsons?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Well, Gary, I'm not sure my impressions are very applicable or useful, since nearly all my Simpsons are Somersets. But of all my brushes, I'd have to say that my Chubby 3 Manchurian (58mm loft) and Tulip 4 (60mm loft) are among my favorites. Both feel great in the hand and work very well with both creams and soaps. (I just this week used the Manchurian with an old puck of Wrisley's soap, and it did great.) Just for the feel of the bristles, I'd have to give the nod to the Tulip, which is just slightly firmer despite the greater loft, while the Manchurian is probably the best looking brush I own. In the past I did own a more modern Chubby 3 in Super, and it was a great brush, more stiff than either the Manchurian or the old Tulip and probably my favorite at the time of all my brushes for soaps. I'm still not really sure why I sold it; I guess it just seemed a little redundant. Anyway, I don't think you'd be unhappy with either brush you're considering, especially if you like fatter handles. I think they're two of the best brushes Simpson ever produced.
_______
John
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i think you may want to do some research. i have a feeling that the tulips are less dense. more along the lines of a polo whereas the chubby's are more like rooney density (ie. lather hog)
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

gil3591 wrote:i think you may want to do some research. i have a feeling that the tulips are less dense. more along the lines of a polo whereas the chubby's are more like rooney density (ie. lather hog)
Interesting you brought that up Gil. I got that impression when I was initially sifting through all of the various Simpsons. I noticed that the Chubby appears to have the larger diameter of knot, making it more dense.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, it's also more densely packed. There's a ton of hair in a Chubby, even a Chubby 1. A 3 exponentially moreso. The T3 Super I used was still very dense, but it had excellent flow-through and could hardly be called a lather hog. OTOH, I have heard the Chubby referred to as such many times, especially in Super. Nevertheless, the appeal is strong. I am very happy with my brushes these days but will probably always want to try a Chubby until I finally break down and do it.

I'll be curious to see which you choose.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
druphus

Post by druphus »

If I could find a 2-band Tulip 3 with a 60mm loft, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Regards,
Andy
franz

Post by franz »

I don't want to nerd out too much, Gary, but the ratio of loft to knot diameter on the Chubby 3 makes it seem to me like it wouldn't necessarily be up your alley. If I were you I would go for the Tulip.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

brothers wrote:
gil3591 wrote:i think you may want to do some research. i have a feeling that the tulips are less dense. more along the lines of a polo whereas the chubby's are more like rooney density (ie. lather hog)
Interesting you brought that up Gil. I got that impression when I was initially sifting through all of the various Simpsons. I noticed that the Chubby appears to have the larger diameter of knot, making it more dense.
you may recall my record turn around time for a brush, it was a 3 band chubby 3. took it out of the box,,,lathered it twice,,,,and knew instantly it wasn't for me. sold it on smf within 15 minutes after lathering it and a whopping 40 minutes after opening the box! :oops:

on the other hand i had 2 tulip 3's ( 2bands)that i, of course, also sold. they only had 52 and 50 mm lofts. too scrubby but very much the same density of a polo. not a lather hog at all. i am thinking now that a tulip 4 in 3 band would be the bees knees
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I have a Chubby 3 super 2 band and it is one fantasic brush; it's not a lather hog, it does however make more lather than what most people would be used to.
I've never had a Tulip 4, but I did own a 2 band Tulip 3 and a very sweet brush it was. If I had to pick between the two, the Chubby would be the winner.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Yeah, the combination of a Chubby and Simpsons Super isn't something I recommend unless you really want or have to have it....
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i used my t4 the other day.....its much nicer than the chubby 3 because 1. it is more flexible and 2. the lather is better and 3. it isnt a lather hog

All that being said, its a huge brush and not something I could use on a regular basis...T3's are much nicer

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

I've never tried a Tulip, but I had a Chubby 3 in 3-band that I ended up selling because it was just too dense (and huge). I couldn't get lather out of the thing.
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Dang it. I thought I had SBAD under control.

Now, I find myself thinking about a Tulip!
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

MaxP wrote:Dang it. I thought I had SBAD under control.
A few of us need to use this as a sig (says the guy who is angling for another D3 and has two bespoke brushes en route)...

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

My Somerset Tulip 4 and my Rooney finest 1/2 are my two favorite brushes, for mostly the same reasons. They each have Italian leather softness in the tips but US Marines drill sargeant stiffness in the lower bristles, both chacteristics which appeal to me in balancing a slow, leisurely, contemplative, luxurious shave.

Like John, almost all of my Simpsons are Somersets. I have a Manchurian Chubby 2 which is enjoyable on certain days, but while having stout bristles, the tips are not as soft as the two aforementioned brushes. I like to use it, but just not as often because it doesn't deliver the total facial experience. Honorable mention goes to a Somerset Persian Jar 2 in best that I totally enjoy, especially for its curvy beauty. Not only does it lather beautifully, it is shaving brush artwork.

Gary, you won't go wrong with a Tulip 4, especially, in my opinion, if you can locate a Somerset. To me, they are a notch or two superior in the quality of the badger hair.

Paul
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i have a prehistoric t4....the only difference i can tell between that and the modern version is that the prehistoric doesnt bloom too much

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

As I'm following along and reading all of the remarkably informative responses from you guys, I keep hearing an echo running through my head over and over again . . . . buy them both!

This isn't happening, not yet. I've got some other world class brushes on the list too. Buying them all would test even the patience of my long-suffering wife, and believe me, I've tried to figure out how I can do just that!

Patience is required ----
Gary

Paul12644

Post by Paul12644 »

Gary, here's a picture of the three amigos used quite often in my daily shaving respite, and if I had to rank them today in overall shaving satisfaction, I would assess them as follows:

1. Simpson Tulip 4
2. Simpson Chubby 3
3. Plisson HMW

But to be fair, I think many others would rank them differently based on their definition of overall shaving satisfaction, mine being, in rough order of importance: bristle feel as applied to the face which includes tip softness and bristle backbone, handle fit to the hand, sensory enjoyment and overall experience which is a subjective measure of "wow, am I ever glad that I bought this brush."

With Simpson Somerset brushes, I notice that there is a blurred line of distinction between "best" and "super" grades of hair. In this case the T4 knot in super is very similar to the Chubby 3 knot in best, to me practically identical.

Suffice it to say that they all provide very fulfilling shaves.

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

A Somerset Tulip 4 just now sold on eBay for $308 including shipping. I really hope you (or anyone else here on the forum) weren't the one who bought it, because that price is way too high. They've sold on the forums the last couple years for $180-245.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wasn't me. But thanks for the heads-up.
Gary