It matches my shaving brush

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

It matches my shaving brush

Post by KAV »

My family and friends always noted I have " A champagne taste and beer budget." Presently it's more tap water.I've been fortunate in some of the more accessable niceties; good scotch ( rationed like communion once weekly) our passion here, a few nice clothing ensembles and the biggest bargain- a working knowledge and appreciation of of the arts.
But I fear my shaving attitude of 'why not, I'll just make do without XYZ for awhile has gotten out of control.
I've been looking at a replacement car for ( hopefully) the near future.
I saw this one. All thoughts of a local mechanically restored 325i BWM went out the window.
Last edited by KAV on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persius

Post by Persius »

A fine, fine choice.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+2
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: It matches my shaving brush

Post by M6Classic »

You call that a car?
KAV wrote:Image
That's not a car...

Now, THAT'S a car...

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

KAV, great looking car, but absent the funds for that, BMW's are fun to drive!!
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Where is our resident car guy TonyEspo when we need him?

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
slackskin

What a car!!

Post by slackskin »

Hey, guys, have you ever watched the Mecum auto auctions? This is a traveling auction company -- Palm Beach one week, Palm Springs the next, Pebble Beach the next. Beautiful cars. Muscle cars (my favorite), vintage American and foreign cars. Some restored to museum showpieces, others are actually driven. Lots of fun. Watch for free on cable -- in the SF-Bay Area on Velocity channel, formerly on HDNet. Best of all, you can live vicariously for free. Their web site is www.mecum.com

Note - I don't work for them, just a cool show.
dosco

Post by dosco »

Sam wrote:KAV, great looking car, but absent the funds for that, BMW's are fun to drive!!
This is true.

I don't presume to know KAV well, however I would think it fitting for him to procure a Triumph TR6 or some other British convertible coupe to properly enjoy the Southern California air.

Of course, older British vehicles were not renowned for their reliability, electrical systems, etc. etc. ... ... presumably this could be exploited to set the mood by standing over said vehicle with a tumbler of Scotch, while dressed in a nice jacket, ... ...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

First car in High School- MGA coupe- drove it through 'the old pass road' between Simi Valley and San Fernando @ 2A.M. ran some wild eyed hippie off the road passing Sphan Ranch. It was Charlie.

Second car-Jowet Jupiter bought and sold to Phil Hill in Santa Monica

Third car- Austin Heally 3000- in parts, fully restored and primed body- traded for-

XK 140 drop head coupe
Mother complained about two cars in back yard. I didn't tell her I just bought a Hillman Manx in powder blue ( the Harry Potter flying car) for $50

Traded Manx for a TR2 AND a MG magnette

Invited to help drive a car to Las Vegas by high school friend's uncle Nigel- retired jaquar raceworks mechanic. He pulled up in a silver Aston Martin DB4

Traded Jaguar to Nigel for a Rover 2000TC

Driving MGA on old Miulholland Road and tailgated by yellow Ferrari with THE FOOL license plate. Executed a 4 wheel drift around tightest turn as Ferrrari tried to pass. He went off onto dirt giving me finger- later learned it was David Carradine.

Sold cars for University savings and enlisted.

Returned home and bought Austin Mini Cooper S with RHD. Discovered it was last remaining 1100CC of 86 built. Tried to pass 16 wheeler on freeway, finally got around him as he changed lanes. Saw floor of trailer passing over roofline and prayed as I changed lanes again in front of Cdadillac. Sold to major mini collector.

Present day- driving is a gut wrenching chore of avoiding soccer moms on cellphones in SUVS, high testosterone football heroes on japanese club racers with giant spoilers.
Dream car- any pre war RR with a mini bar and door holster for a Webley-Fosberry in .455
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Dosco, if I ever get the funds, I would want to get a TR6, that powder blue, brown, or orange and restore it. Not a faithful restore, as I would want a CD player, Satellite radio, better interior. This is the car I wanted when I got my license and could not. I hear you have to have a good mechanic as it has dual carbs on it
dosco

Post by dosco »

There are too many cars and not enough time or money.

My brother-in-law is quite the car user/trader, the height of coolness was his 2005-ish BMW M5 with glass-packs. What a refined beast.

I would like a post 1999 Corvette (nothing special) with a manual transmission.

Once, many moons ago, I was in Texas spending some time at Sheppard AFB. One weekend I was driving to Dallas from Ft. Worth and in slow traffic a baby-blue (powder blue?) Porsche 911 rolled by, the driver in a nice looking suit with a very pretty female passenger in a cocktail dress. The Porsche was a "plain" 911, no whale tail or other crazy mods, was probably a mid 1970s vintage, and was in showroom shape. I would very much like that car. Perhaps someday.
Last edited by dosco on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Buzz and KAV I'll take the 1920 Rolls Silver Ghost any day. Thanks for the photos you guys.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV

Post by KAV »

I was driving the Jaguar and came alongside a white T bird with a blond in it. Both radios were turned to PETER GUN. We were smilling, blowing kisses when she frantically started pointing ahead. I smile, visions of a tryste with an older woman. She points AGAIN and I look forward, slam on my brakes inches from rear ending a California Highway Patrol Cruiser :oops:
He was laughing so hard he just waved me on- and she turned off :cry:
Araner

Post by Araner »

I bought my first car in 1974. I was 19 years old and the gas price hike (thanks to the 73 oil embargo) was in effect. People were trading in their gas guzzlers for compacts and the used car lots were marking down the prices for the big V8 cars to move them. I bought a mint condition 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88; it had a gold body, black vinyl top and real leather seats. It may not have been a sports car but it sure did get me to the laundry mat in style.

Mike
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote:Buzz and KAV I'll take the 1920 Rolls Silver Ghost any day. Thanks for the photos you guys.
Would you really ride in a PINK 1920 Ghost?!?! The mind reels. The photograph I posted is actually a 1922 Hispano Suiza H6C Torpedo with a tulip wood body built one-off for race driver Andre Dubonnet. In 1922 it cost US$15,000 (if I remember what I have read). Can you imagine how many Plissons and Simpsons one could buy for $15,000 in 1922?

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

:lol: funny, but yes I would! Would you ride in a wooden car!!!? :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV

Post by KAV »

Ladies wear pink- gentlemen dusty rose. I also refer you to the exploits of squadron leader Warburton of WW2 who flew a pink reconaissance spitfire.
Pink is the most difficult colour to focus on at dawn and dusk. The brits also employed highly polished egg shell blue spits for daylight missions.
Our own macho USAF generals freaked out when the first Eagles were delivered in sky blue, stating it was a sissy colour. They repeated their foolishness with the stealth aircraft, also proposed to wear a PINK digital camouflage much like WW1 german Lozenge.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Or you could go au naturel. Streak Eagles, used to set time-to-climb and altitude records vs. MiG-25s back in the '70s, were stripped of all unnecessary weight, including paint, so showed off in natural metal finish.
http://www.xplanefreeware.net/~barry/X- ... %20802.jpg
Next-generation stealth will feature electro-optical shielding, the aircraft blending with the background its traversing. The proper modern Air Force gentleman will go invisible.
Ron
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Very nice Rolls Royce, Chris, but since you aren't in a position to hire a chauffeur, I would recommend a model for an owner-driver. 8)

- Murray
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote::lol: funny, but yes I would! Would you ride in a wooden car!!!? :lol:
Good Lord, YES! I could never afford this one and only Hispano Suiza, my dream car, but a 1941 Chrysler Town and Country woody station wagon costs only US$7 jillion.

Buzz