XPEC Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

XPEC Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

The maker of the (no longer available) but excellent Domenico Caracini shaving cream now makes a product called XPEC. Straight Razor Designs has it in stock. It's out of stock at RoyalShave at the moment. It comes in scented and unscented. It has nearly the same ingredient list as DC, and has some good reviews on the forums. I haven't used it yet, but expect to do so. I'm very interested in knowing what anyone who's previously or currently used it, (including but not limited to Chris Fisher) says about it, good, bad, or otherwise. I searched the SMF archives without success for information on it. XPEC was previously made, around 2007, and sold as a "shaving soap". It disappeared and was replaced by "shaving cream", which was sold for a while before being taken off the market. Then DC was also discontinued about two years ago, and either before or after that, XPEC shaving cream reappeared with a new formula, quite similar to the late DC. As stated above, it is the same manufacturer who made DC for the tailor trade.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
beartrap

Re: XPEC Shaving Cream

Post by beartrap »

I've purchased a tub from SRD about a year ago, a huge tub. The cream is excellent, I will even say the best cream I have ever used. As much as I liked it, I had to sell it because I couldn't get rid of the scent HOURS after the shave. The scent is not unpleasant, kinda like expensive perfume, but I prefer my soaps to have just enough scent for the duration of the shave. YMMV and all that...
Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve, do you think you would still be using it if you had bought the unscented version to begin with?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

I probably would, not sure if unscented is actually scentless or has some natural scent to it.
Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think I read a comment somewhere that the unscented is void of any scent. Maybe someone can comment on it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got to use it for a couple of weeks in a row to get the hang of it, but the XPEC arrived today and I used it for the first time this evening. The scent is mild to my nose, and time will tell if the scent does or doesn't become an issue. I don't think I'll have a problem because I like the scent a lot. It reminds me a lot of Castle Forbes AND Domenico Caraceni, in the appearance and the texture. It's thick for sure. and the enormous tubs will last a very long time. The shave is one of the best ever, which is what I always shoot for. I got a tub of unscented too, and it has no perceptible scent.To load the brush I soaked it a few moments, then squeezed the knot and swept the wet tips across the surface fo the cream. I ended up with not enough cream and too much water. Still managed to get a very good lather and shave. It usually takes a couple of days to find the sweet spot. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's evening shave with it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I think I got the XPEC dialed in on the third try yesterday. I didn't experience any negative issues with the performance or the fragrance. Quite the opposite. The fragrance might even be considered what I would call "barbershop", which it appears is different for each of us. I have no opinion to conflict with anyone else's opinion. I just have my own, and that's what I go by. The cream is as good as any, and that's all I can say. Expensive? Who's to say? Is it worth whatever it costs? Yes!
Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I have the unscented Xpec, it's very good stuff but doubt I'll reorder.
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

Gary, of course YMMV, the only think that surprised me was "barbershop scent"! Really? To my nose XPEC is very refined and sophisticated, while barbershop scent is old fashioned and not so subtle. Reading my own thoughts on it, I kinda miss this cream, it was really one of those WOW experiences.
Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

Unless I'm way off base, I think Straight Razor Designs has the XPEC shaving cream back in stock. At least that was the case yesterday, October 26th. :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

On a lark, tonight I decided to use XPEC unscented with a few drops of Lime Essence. It smelled really good, very similar to Mike's Lime to my nose, and the cream is very close to Castle Forbes in the way it wants to resist all of the brush's efforts to dissolve it and turn it into lather. Oh, yeah, I got lather! A ton of it, nice and billowy, rich and slick. Rinsing out the bowl, to my surprise was the undissolved nugget, riding along with the lather. It is such a good-sized nugget that I'm going to use it tomorrow. No point in throwing away a nice smelling and performing chunk of such a fine cream. Makes me smile. I've been testing the Lime essence to see how it works in real-time situations in anticipation of the day when I'll add it to my own home made shaving soap.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

XPEC is still in stock according to SRD's website.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have learned that the Old Town Shaving Shop at Stats just started carrying the XPEC brand. There is no web site.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

XPEC is still in production. I have received the following response from the CEO in Italy.

Dear Mr
We received your request on our UK web site.

I confirm that Xpec shaving cream in bowl is still in production.

Hereunder please find the address where you can find shaving cream in USA

Do not hesitate to contact me again for any further information you may need, kind regards

Fabrizia Marinelli

straightrazordesigns.com

Damon Stathatos The Stats Group, dba The Old Town Shaving Company

120 South Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105

Fabrizia Marinelli
CEO effeMarinelli s.r.l
Milano

Il 14-11-2013 3:02, "Gary" ha scritto:

Hello, I’m in USA. I recently picked up a few of the large tubs of your shaving cream, scented and unscented. It is an excellent product, but very hard to find. Is it still in production?
Sincerely,
Gary
Oklahoma City, OK
USA
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The shaving forums are reporting that XPEC is currently out of production, but there is confusion, as always. There seems to be a possibility that the cream is being reformulated before going back into production.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Italian makers march to a different beat.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

A week or so ago I sent an email to Fabrizia with a few questions about the current status of XPEC. If I eventually receive a response, I'll post here first.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

There's been no response. Doesn't bode well.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Guess we'll just have to be content with the other stuff out there.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thank goodness for Castle Forbes creams.
Gary