Where do you shop

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Where do you shop

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm looking at all these beautiful brushes you guys have posted pictures of and thinking ........nice, maybe I should buy myself a new one just like that one, or that one, or damn this one looks good too.

$100 + for a brush is Ok, but are there any shops one can go to that just sell shaving equipment. Im in the NYC area. I want to hold it, feel it touch it before I buy it. There doesn't seem to be any place at all like that except the art of shaving and then they just have their own product. It all looks the same just different colours.

Clive
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

Cambridge Chemists
21 East 65 Street.
New York, N.Y. 10021

Lots of good stuff there according to their site.
Mike
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Neiman Marcus?
John Bull?
Colonial Drug?

Of course i shouldn't respond to your question, being a Dutchman :?

But i believe these brick 'n mortar shops are located in NYC....

But there are numerous NYC inhabitants/SMF members who could provide you with a really extensive list of where to purchase shaving equipment.

Peter

Edit: John Bull is a brand of Cambridge chemists....
Peter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The address tells me to pack the wallet and load up the plastic before going there.

Thanks

Clive
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Clive,

There is a thread titled "New York City" that is currently on the first page of the "General" forum. It lists all the retail shops you might want to visit for shaving goods. Generally, retail prices are considerably higher than online prices.

Ren
Last edited by Big Ren on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I tried to be a Dutchman once....failed miserably at it and went to the English side of things. The 'jies and v's and w's still haunt me....LOL

Clive
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, For brushes, there are really three main shops to visit in NYC. 1) Cambridge Chemists stocks the fullest line of Simpsons available in the US, including various more 'unusual' models like the 'Keyhole' and so forth. They also have a good selection of the more upper end Rooneys; Supers and Finest. Their prices are not low, but sometimes Scott will come down a little, if you talk with him. Do not forget to mention that you are a member of this forum! 2) Pasteurs on Lexington Ave. has excellent prices on some Simpson models ( up front at the cashier's counter ). If what they have happens to jibe with what you want, it is THE place to go. 3) Clyde's on Madison is one of only two shops in the US that I know of, that has a serious selection of Plisson brushes. Models in the 'European Grey' bristle are not outrageously expensive, and are very fine brushes. No one carries a large selection of Vulfixes in the City that I am aware of. There are shops that stock Kents, but Kents are way overpriced in the US, due to the policies of the distributor. International Cutlery carries Muehle-Pinsel models, but they don't have a bricks and mortar store anymore. Boyd's has a number of the top end Omega badger brushes, and Bigelows in the Village carries own brand brushes that are probably of German make. Happy huntiing!
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Many thanks Gordon.

I'll be doing brushes and dinner instead of broadway......probably be much cheaper too :D

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thank again, you guys rock

Clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

As an aside, Pasteurs ahs no web site and whilst Clydes does there are no shaving items online. All top secret I suppose :P
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

When I was in Clyde's, I did not see any brushes - You may have to ask. They must keep them semi hidden or something. Their other stuff is outrageously overpriced, though, so I would suggest buying non-brush items at Pasteur instead. And no, Pasteur does not have a website. It is pretty hole-in-the-wall, actually, but that comes with the best prices, and includes a very very fine selection.

As for Muehle Pinsel at a brick and mortar store, those brushes can be found in a decent selection at Paul Mole barbershop. See my overlong post in the NYC thread linked above for the address.

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mo, The Plissons at Clyde's were in a glass case on the right, just as you walk in the door, unless they've moved them. There were also a few HMWs on the ledge over one of the cosmetics counters. I imagine that they still have them, as Peter bought that gold handled Joris brush there, just a couple of weeks ago.
Regards,
Gordon
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

Gordon,

Thanks, I'll have to take a look. Although handling a HWM is probably a really bad idea for me.... Remember what happened when those Simpsons popped out in the selling forum all at once....

-Mo
Alrighty, stickim up and hand over the Coates real nice and slow like....