Schick Stick

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
TakeTheCann0lis

Schick Stick

Post by TakeTheCann0lis »

So I desperatly wanted to get my hands on one of those schick stick injectors, because they look so damn boss. Also my SRAD was in full gear, but that's besides the point. (Isn't it always?)

Anyhow it came yesterday, and the while I was expecting the shifter knob to be plastic, I was hoping the handle would be metal at least.

I'm not sure how many of you have actually held one in their hand, but the thing isn't even cool in real life. It's top heavy, and the handle is a grey piece of plastic tubing.

Totally lame!

I guess I'll have to buy something else! :twisted:
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Well, then don't buy the Schick Grip, which was the other one from the "gimmicky" series. The handle looks like it's from a tennis racket.

I would look for the really old ones, that store blades in the handle and use a rifle-like mechanism to insert the blade. In fact, I'd probably be willing to sell some of my old ones, not out of disillusionment, but out of lack of storage space.

A "cool" later rare one is the one with the all-metal handle shaped the same as the bakelite ones.
TakeTheCann0lis

This one just came in the mail this past week. The mechanism for loading is really cool!

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

In fact, I'd probably be willing to sell some of my old ones,
What's the going rate on these things anyway? TTC's razor looks uber cool.

Clive
TakeTheCann0lis

You don't know how long it took me to figure out what TTC was.

What are your "old ones" that you'd be willing to part with?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I have a Grip and a Stick. I received, them, and put them in a drawer and haven't shaved with them. Both have the later, larger, head that'd allow the user to get away with more pressure, but both don't look like they should be used on a regular basis. The Grip looks a little better in terms of build and heft. On my Stick the rounded end with the numbers on slides off. (Paging Ben - make of that what you will... :P )
Are the magazine style razors still useable? I love the design, but I'm still not at the point where I'd buy a razor to not use.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Ben

Post by Ben »

ichabod wrote:On my Stick the rounded end with the numbers on slides off. (Paging Ben - make of that what you will... :P )
Well, some months back I donated some beat Schick Injectors to newcomers. One of them was a Stick. The white filling in the gear shift had mostly crumbled out and the handle was warped. The blade assembly was perfect though.

BTW, stop trying to secretly discuss your penis.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Ben

Re: Schick Stick

Post by Ben »

TakeTheCann0lis wrote:I'm not sure how many of you have actually held one in their hand, but the thing isn't even cool in real life. It's top heavy, and the handle is a grey piece of plastic tubing.

Totally lame!
Heck, I could have told you that. Next time, just post a question about a razor. Sure, you'll get loads of differing opinions, but the fact remains that those gimmick Injectors are lightweight plastic.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I have at least two different ones. I'd have to go down in the basement (ooh! hard work! stairs! boogie men!) and dig them out and maybe take pictures.

I'm not sure how to price them. It's been a few years since I thought about it before...

TakeTheCann0lis wrote:What are your "old ones" that you'd be willing to part with?
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

i think your expectations were a little high, i like the novelty of my stick schick but i knew very well it was just going to be plastic. unless you go real old school, all these schicks are basically plastic junkers- including the late model adjustables fetching good money on ebay.
TakeTheCann0lis

With The Grain wrote:i think your expectations were a little high, i like the novelty of my stick schick but i knew very well it was just going to be plastic. unless you go real old school, all these schicks are basically plastic junkers- including the late model adjustables fetching good money on ebay.
Agreed
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

TakeTheCann0lis wrote:
With The Grain wrote:i think your expectations were a little high, i like the novelty of my stick schick but i knew very well it was just going to be plastic. unless you go real old school, all these schicks are basically plastic junkers- including the late model adjustables fetching good money on ebay.
Agreed
really makes you do a double take when you see someone pay $50+ for an injector. when i buy an old gillette i feel like im buying a vintage, yet qaulity piece of gear. these schicks make me cringe when prices get high, not that they dont shave well, but they're so cheaply made it's tough to justify the price :? (at least for me). btw that old school schick youve pictured above is quite the opposite, very nice looking and well built, id be curious to hear if those are still usable = admittedly ive neglected many schick offerings for all types of other razors, i guess i assumed those no longer accepted the modern injectors :oops:
TakeTheCann0lis

With The Grain wrote: really makes you do a double take when you see someone pay $50+ for an injector. when i buy an old gillette i feel like im buying a vintage, yet qaulity piece of gear. these schicks make me cringe when prices get high, not that they dont shave well, but they're so cheaply made it's tough to justify the price :? (at least for me).
Agreed again. I won't pay more than $20 shipped for a later model injector
With The Grain wrote: btw that old school schick youve pictured above is quite the opposite, very nice looking and well built, id be curious to hear if those are still usable = admittedly ive neglected many schick offerings for all types of other razors, i guess i assumed those no longer accepted the modern injectors :oops:
I am so intrigued by the early schick travel style injectors. The one I bought (Type C2) does in fact work, however it jammed up on me, so I took it apart, cleaned it, and oiled it. It now works like a charm. The mechanism that loads it is really cool.

Incidentally, I just won an auction for a Type C3. I'm keeping my eye for a C1.