Volunteer for SCS Study of EO/FO in Soaps and Cremes ?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

what is the basic diff between Essential Oil and Fragrance Oil ?
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Below is a copy of the preliminary questions that were sent this evening to the gentlemen that volunteered. A big "THANK YOU" to all of you. I have received three back already!

Sadly, I also received three returned as 'undeliverable' by that unpopular guy, Mr. Mailer Daemon. So if you volunteered and did not receive yours, please email me an appropriate email address: sue@saintcharlesshave.com
Sue
~ ~ ~
My age is:

Number of year’s wet-shaving:

My preferred brush for soaps:

My preferred brush for crème:

My preferred razor is:

Do you most frequently use soaps or crèmes?

I use both equally:

Would you consider your frequently used fragrance to be “High End”? If you answered yes, what is the cost per bottle $______, and size? _____ For______ ml _____ ounces

Of the fragrances you wear most frequently, are they made with essential oils, fragrance oils or do you know:

WHO do you wear fragrance for?

Do you consider price when purchasing a fragrance or do you buy it irregardless of price if you like it:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the following statements, please answer on a scale of one to five. One is that you strongly disagree and five; you strongly agree.

If the question does not apply or you have no answer’ please answer with ‘zero’ so that I know the question has not been overlooked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Essential oil fragrance is superior to fragrance oils:

Fragrance oil is drying to my skin:

Fragrance oil leads to adverse skin reactions:

Essential Oil leads to adverse skin reactions:

Essential Oil just feels better on my skin

I would not purchase any product unless I am sure of which type oil it contains.

The fragrance of Essential Oil always smells better than Fragrant Oil.

I believe all ‘High End’ ($100.00 or more per two ounce bottle) fragrance is made with Essential Oils.

I wear fragrance every day

I have at least ten different bottles of fragrance:

I don’t have a preference between EO and FO:

My skin feels ‘conditioned’ when I have used products containing essential oils.

I regularly (once a week or more) use Essential Oils for aroma therapy:

I regularly (once a week or more) use Essential Oils for massage:

I regularly (once a week or more) use Essential Oils for medicinal purposes:

I have more than three bottles of Essential Oils on hand at any given time.

Overall, I shop at health food stores

I prefer an organic diet

I know my numbers; Blood Pressure, Serum Cholesterol and PSA:

I exercise daily:

I exercise weekly:

I am weight appropriate for my height:

I smoke cigarettes daily:

I smoke cigars daily:

I smoke a pipe daily:

I do not smoke:

I drink three or more alcoholic beverages a week:

I am a non-drinker:
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Sue,

For the second to last question, did you mean a week or a day? I only ask because I thought 3 or more a day was alcoholic region, but I clearly have 3 or more glasses of wine a week.

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
jweaver

Post by jweaver »

Day or week- My answer is the same :D

Just jokeing. I thought it was meant by the week.
Jeffrey Weaver

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril. "
Sir Winston Churchill

http://scoffery.com
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Question: I drink three or more alcoholic beverages a week

Refers to a 'week'.

Sue
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sue wrote:Question: I drink three or more alcoholic beverages a week

Refers to a 'week'.

Sue
Back in the GOOD OLD DAYS (pre-diabetes) 3 or MORE a week would be my answer. Now SIGH :cry: 3 a YEAR is more like it. Of all the things I miss Martini's are at the top of my list. :roll:
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

tonyespo wrote:
Sue wrote:Question: I drink three or more alcoholic beverages a week

Refers to a 'week'.

Sue
Back in the GOOD OLD DAYS (pre-diabetes) 3 or MORE a week would be my answer. Now SIGH :cry: 3 a YEAR is more like it. Of all the things I miss Martini's are at the top of my list. :roll:

Perhaps Sue could come up with a Martini scented soap.
Steve/Bronco

Post by wenestvedt »

Tony would have a beard of white bubbles on his face all the time from keeping soap chips in his mouth...which I guess would give him an excuse to shave again. So it's a a win-win!
z

Post by z »

This is a very interesting experiment.

I must confess that, after I started using more products with real plant essential oils in them, it seems to me (though it may be placebo) that I can tell the difference between them and artificial fragrance oils.

In fact, it's becoming increasingly hard for me to use any products with fragrance oils in them. I generally can tell without even looking at the ingredients list. Some perfumers insist that fragrance oils allow them to create consistent products that always smell the same, and that cost is not an issue, but I tend to believe that it normally relates to cost. There is no denying that some batches of EO will be inconsistent with others, but I think that part of the difficult part is finding a reputable source for consistent essential oils.

I think that there is just something different about the way the brain processes natural versus artificial scents. I don't think that they are the same. Sue mentioned her response to lavender. I use Doctor Bronner's lavender castile hand soap and I do indeed find the fragrance to be extraordinarily calming and relaxing, and I love the way my skin has a light lavender smell afterwards. When I smell artificial lavender though, I tend to really dislike the way it smells and I find it to be very "cloying".

I also use Nancy Boy bath bars in addition to some other brands that I've found (e.g. Target has soaps made by Castelbel that are really nice quality soaps). Both are similar on my skin. The Nancy Boy soaps use essential oils, and it's always quite relaxing to use them because they smell natural and "real". The Castelbel soaps use fragrance, which - while nice smelling, don't seem the same to me.

I once ordered a few SCS soaps. This was after I had been primarily using a lot of products with essential oils. Sue had asked me what I didn't like about the SCS products about a year ago, and I wasn't quite sure I could place it. Now I think I know what it is. I had become accustomed to using soaps and creams with essential oils instead. The SCS lime and rose just didn't seem to smell like I would imagine them to smell. The same goes for my Trumper's limes cream. I just don't think that it smells like a real lime to me. I also recently picked up an old favorite EDT of mine... One that I had loved to wear for many years. Oddly enough, I find that it causes me to have terrible headaches now. This might be because I've been using only essential oil based perfumes/EDTs for over a year now. Likewise, my wife will smell some of the old favorites and tends to indicate that they just don't smell as good since I've been wearing more essential oil perfumes and EDTs (likewise, she has also been using more soaps and moisturizers with natural oils as well). We both seem to be responding similarly.

That said, I think it's fair that if the cost increases with essential oils, the price increase might be justified if more people tend to prefer the EO to the FO. I guess that's what makes this experiment so interesting. I'm anxious to see the results. :)
Zach
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Zach,
I enjoyed reading your thoughts and personal observation of the products you currently use and have used in the past. Your mention of a headache is mild compared to an email I received recently. It was from a customer who wrote that he felt nauseous from the FO in a soap. Personally, I can't even imagine that but we are all different.

As an individual that sells the items I make which contain fragrance; cost is a huge factor. Comparing prices, my products are very reasonable in my opinion. Not only the soaps but also bottled fragrances. The cost differance between FO and EO is significant in many types. Some are priced out of reach for many people and others are a modest price differance. For instance; I purchased two individual EO's for this test. One E/O total was $24.75 , the second $19.20, including shipping. Compare to $15.75 for two F/O's, including shipping. Granted shipping was combined for the two F/O's but the differance is significant. I ordered just enough of the EO for the test products and I will have some FO left over.

Is there really a differance or is it perceived? I hope this test will be revealing with an overwhelming opinion one way or the other.
Sue
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Steve,
Fragrant Oils offer many fragrances not available in Essential Oil. How about; Chardonnay, champagne, Grand Marnier, margarita, kahlua, Bailey's Irish Creme, and yes, Gin Martini.

If Tony wants martini soap or spray, I can do that. Just don't use before driving. I can see Tony in the back seat of a squad car, "but Officer it's my shaving soap".
Sue
z

Post by z »

That is indeed one major advantage to using fragrance oils. You can create a multitude of things that don't actually grow on trees or in the ground.

I will admit that my preference to essential oils may simply be perceived. I guess that it could also be said that all synthetic fragrances are not the same either. I think that we've all smelled or tasted certain artificial fragrances or flavors that are more convincing than others. The same goes for essential oils though; some are better than others.

I guess that this much is true. If it's really oil from a plant, then you can be sure that it's going to smell like the real thing (since it is the real thing). For instance: As much as artificial orange may smell like orange, it will never smell more like an orange than an actual orange does. :)

By the way Sue... Do you plan on posting the results? I understand if perhaps this may be a "trade secret" of sorts, but the results would be quite interesting to see.
Zach
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Yes, Zack I do plan on adding the results here in this thread. Once I receive the answered questions from each of the individual testers (following their trial of the four items), I will notify the two Moderators of the numbered fragrances and if they are EO or FO. A post of the testers " compiled " responses will follow and then I hope the testers will post their own completed questionnaire....or I will post it if someone would choose to remain anonymous.

I am awaiting the return of a couple of the initial questionnaires as noted earler. As soon as I receive those, a nameless overview of 'who' the testers are will be posted.

BTW, if you volunteered and have not received your initial questionnaire; I received two back due to full mail boxes or an incorrect email. Please contact me.
Sue
Jed Millet

Post by Jed Millet »

Count me in. I am more than happy to assist.
Jed Millet
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Sue wrote:I am awaiting the return of a couple of the initial questionnaires as noted earlier.
All right, all right -- I sent it back this morning. Sorry! :-)

- Will
smithno

Post by smithno »

What is the scent?
Last edited by smithno on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Norm
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

The 'Testers' will identify the name of the fragrance of both the EO and FO sample soaps and cremes.

The 'Testers' will determine which is EO and which is FO after three days use each (twelve days total).

The four samples will be unmarked other than numbers. Only Tony and I will know what corresponds to the numbers.

All preliminary questionaires are being returned to me by the end of today. I will post anonymous results within a day or two.
Sue
tlshoe

Post by tlshoe »

Suggest creating an online survey to collect data. Two possible (free) choices are Zoomerang and SurveyMonkey. This would eliminate the need to have everyone post their results at the same time, and it would ensure that each participant's responses are completely unaffected by what others report. If interested, I'd be happy to help create the survey.

As suggested, there is an advantage to control for type of razor, brush, etc. The downside, of course, is that if these factors are held constant you will only be able to conclude about the specific razors, brushes, etc. used in the study. The study would have to be replicated with different choices of razor, brush, etc. in order to generalize more broadly. If you can't or don't want to control for the factors, one option is to ask study participants to provide which razor, brush, etc. that they used throughout the study. At an absolute minimum, each participant must use the same razor, brush, etc. throughout the entire study.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Sue,

An excellent survey! I think you will get a great deal of useful info. Are you going to use a similar format with numerical scales for your study participants to score their results? You may find a lot of useful data in that alone, and also in comparison to these questions (do respondent’s results with EO/FO correlate with their pre-test opinions regarding EO/FO?, etc.).

Steve
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Several reasons I don't think a poll would work for this is; what products in their possession would they test? I think a poll would not leave room to ask the Testers pre-questions as I have been able to do. I would have no means to contact them, prior to posting an opinion to verify their qualification to make said opinion.

I am going to compile an anonymous overview of the Testers, I've been working on that and should have it ready to post soon.
Sue