" Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor "

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rgarr

" Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor "

Post by rgarr »

I'm a newbie to these forums and I'm ready to buy my first DE razor and I've heard and seen through this videohttp://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mantic59 that it is a pretty good razor and it is in my price range.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations that you might give me concerning this razor or others that might be best for someone who has sensitive skin and is prone to nicks and cuts.

Also, which blades would be best for me e.g. Merkur...Featherlite etc. And approximately how many shaves can I expect out of one blade?

I realize that on the razor and blades it depends on the user's dexterity but for someone new like myself there must be some razors and blades that are better or safer than others as far as nicks and cuts. Thank You all! :)
-Always Keep A Smile On Your Face-
ZiggyDeath

Post by ZiggyDeath »

Also, which blades would be best for me e.g. Merkur...Featherlite etc. And approximately how many shaves can I expect out of one blade?
Unfortunately the best blades are something that can only truly be done through trial and error. However since you have sensitive skin I would highly suggest you stay away from Feathers. There are several vendors that offers sample packs with an assortment of razor blades. Generally speaking "Swedish" Gillettes are considered the cream of the crop due to its smoothness without much sacrifice for sharpness. Unfortunately they're also among the most expensive.

Generally speaking most blades will last anywhere from 3-7 shaves, but depends on how many passes, your hair, etc. Once again, this has to be determined through trial and error for each blade, once you've found a blade that works well.
rgarr

Post by rgarr »

ZiggyDeath wrote:
Unfortunately the best blades are something that can only truly be done through trial and error. However since you have sensitive skin I would highly suggest you stay away from Feathers. There are several vendors that offers sample packs with an assortment of razor blades. Generally speaking "Swedish" Gillettes are considered the cream of the crop due to its smoothness without much sacrifice for sharpness. Unfortunately they're also among the most expensive.

Generally speaking most blades will last anywhere from 3-7 shaves, but depends on how many passes, your hair, etc. Once again, this has to be determined through trial and error for each blade, once you've found a blade that works well.
Thanks ZiggyDeath,

This gives me a starting point as far as blades go and a sample pack seems like the sensible way to go. I can at least try the "Swedish" Gillettes to see what I think. Any suggestions on razors for newbies like me?
ZiggyDeath

Post by ZiggyDeath »

Most people will recommend the Merkur HD, due to it's overall weight and ergonomics as well as it's mass availability. I also started out on a HD, but it is among the worst shavers I own. The biggest factor as to why this baby is recommended to most new shavers is most likely due to it's weight. It's a heavy razor and teaches you quickly the fundamental technique: no pressure.

You need to let the weight of the razor cut the hair for you; additional pressure can result in a a closer shave, along with unwanted complications.

Do I recommend the HD? No, not really, in retrospect I may have been better off starting with a Gillette SS or maybe a lighter Merkur, but at this point it's just conjecture.
rocketv8

Post by rocketv8 »

I am still a newbie and I started with an old Gillette Superspeed. It was cheap and easy to find on a certain auction site.

I would recommend the older Gillettes to start of with. A few buck can get you a razor and then you can spend most of your money towards a blade sampler pack and some nice soaps/creams.
rocketv8

Post by rocketv8 »

I am still a newbie and I started with an old Gillette Superspeed. It was cheap and easy to find on a certain auction site.

I would recommend the older Gillettes to start of with. A few bucks can get you a razor or two and then you can spend most of your money towards a blade sampler pack and some nice soaps/creams.
rgarr

Post by rgarr »

rocketv8 wrote:I am still a newbie and I started with an old Gillette Superspeed. It was cheap and easy to find on a certain auction site.

I would recommend the older Gillettes to start of with. A few bucks can get you a razor or two and then you can spend most of your money towards a blade sampler pack and some nice soaps/creams.

You all have helped me a lot and I really appreciate it but I'm going to ask you one more question since I'm somewhat confused because of so many razors mentioned. If we narrowed the starter razors down to just 3 like the Merkur HD; the Merkur Progress; and one more...then put them in order of 1 thru 3...1 being the first choice what would they be? :?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi and welcome you can get a lot of really good advice and suggestions here the smf forum has helped me many times and i have been a wet shaver since the 70's

i think the merkurs are the best razor but the right model is important
i like the razor to have weight to it it allows or reminds you no to use pressure as for blades the feathers may not be a good choice

the gillettes or i think the derbys will do a good job for you

but again this is my opinion you must think of the setup more than the razor or blade setting up your face is the most important thing

i good preshave like poraso and a good soap or cream with a god brush will get you shaving best and protect the skin in every way

good luck
marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Rating 1 -- 3:

Many people would say the Progress doesn't even belong in the top 3, but that's OK. I would say, considering what you already wrote, the best choices are

1. Merkur HD
2. Gillette Superspeed (from the 40's or the 50's)
3. Merkur Progress

Numbers 1 and 2 are really a tie.

But in the end, get what you think you will like. Generally, as long as you are buying a well-known good brand, you'll be fine.

Exception: I wouldn't get a Merkur Vision for a first razor. Too much potential for a bad one; and a newbie wouldn't realize the bad shaves were not his fault.
ZiggyDeath

Post by ZiggyDeath »

Super Speed and HD are pretty much a tie

The SS is more forgiving due to its lighter weight, so if you add a bit of pressure you won't suffer the consequences as badly. On the other hand you need to learn not to use pressure and the HD is a harsh mistress that'll teach you quickly.

But SS are not easily available new, and new ones will fetch prices easily triple that of a new HD. Can comment on the progress, no experience with it.
fritz

Post by fritz »

You can get a polished chrome Weishi here in a blister pack for only $13.50 + shipping. Also a good variety of blade sampler packs, too. The Weishi is a "Chinese copy" of the 50's Gillette SS and is well-made. If you wanted to get the #2 blade sampler pack anyway, then $5 more gets you the polished gold razor.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I've never tried Weishi, but it sounds like a good alternative.

Seriously, you are not likely to go wrong with any of the recommendations here. Choosing a good DE razor is more about staying away from the bad ones.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

You can pick up a used Gillette Super Speed for about $10 and learn proper razor angle with that. For a newbee I recommend the blade sampler also. Welcome to the forum.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
rgarr

Post by rgarr »

notthesharpest wrote:Rating 1 -- 3:

Many people would say the Progress doesn't even belong in the top 3, but that's OK. I would say, considering what you already wrote, the best choices are

1. Merkur HD
2. Gillette Superspeed (from the 40's or the 50's)
3. Merkur Progress

Numbers 1 and 2 are really a tie.

But in the end, get what you think you will like. Generally, as long as you are buying a well-known good brand, you'll be fine.

Exception: I wouldn't get a Merkur Vision for a first razor. Too much potential for a bad one; and a newbie wouldn't realize the bad shaves were not his fault.
Thanks for some great advice guys...now on to the actual buying. I'm learning a lot here from all of you.
francisb

Post by francisb »

Just wanted to give you another data point.

A week ago I picked up a Merkur Progress on a whim, (after spending a few days reading B&B, and this forum. Up to that point, I had been 'wet' shaving in the shower with a Sensor and a can of gel.

My first DE effort was a disaster; I didn't load the blade correctly (didn't crank it down to the bottom of the razor, and back it off), and I sliced up my face pretty well.

After that painful lesson, I correctly loaded my Progress, and went to town. The last few days have been amazing shaves; comfortable, very smooth, and my "shadow" isn't visible until next morning.

Maybe I would have been better off starting with an HD (or SS or whatever), but the variable of adjusting your Progress isn't rocket science. I've found I set my Progress on 3.5 and forget it. Now I just focus on technique (I'm trying to use the method forms) and it's working very well.

Of course I am eyeing a Fat Boy on ebay, and I do think the 38c looks damn good...

enjoy, this is a strange hobby we're in

:)