Suggestions For A Grey T-Shirt/Undershirt?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Bordercollie

Suggestions For A Grey T-Shirt/Undershirt?

Post by Bordercollie »

Hi!

I am interested to know what are the brands of T-shirts that you like to wear under your dress shirts....any favorites or brands that you suggest...that do not shrink/long enough to stay tucked in and last for a while-you are not running out buying them

Thanks to a SMFer-I traded in the white tees for a grey tee thin material under a white dress shirt and the grey tee does not show through the white color so I am looking for 100% cotton grey tee recommendations.

I got lucky once with Calvin Klein tees from a discount store and Merona grey tee from TARGET -!00% cotton but now I find that their newer tees are blended with polyester, etc. which tend to be a bit stinky.

Any suggestions....what about the various expensive tees like 2xist and such?
Thanks!
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I go with the Target store brand...they last about 6 months, come in packs of gray and black, and hold up to the wear and tear pretty well. In fact, they've lasted longer than the more expensive brands that I started out with...

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
CK

Post by CK »

Im confused. Why grey tees instead of white?
Charlie
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hey CK

If you are a white-shirt wearer, the white T shows underneath. The gray T-shirt, or black, even, won't show underneath.

Mind you, I brought this up to a white-shirt-and-tie-everyday coworker a while back, and he simply told me he didn't care.

All the best,
Jack

CK

Post by CK »

I do wear white tshirts and they do show up...never realized that other colors wouldnt...interesting. Thanks
Charlie
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Don't thank me...thank a visit to the barber and a stray issue of GQ :D
Jack

Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

paperpundit wrote:I go with the Target store brand...they last about 6 months, come in packs of gray and black, and hold up to the wear and tear pretty well. In fact, they've lasted longer than the more expensive brands that I started out with...

All the best,
That's where I get mine. I used to buy more expensive T's from Nordstrom but they did not last any longer.
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

Look for white t-shirts by Schiesser.
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

The best tees I've found are Fruit of the Loom.

100% cotton, tagless, and generally hold up to washing very well.

My tip for preventing shrinkage: Use cold water on the first wash and dry slowly. I use the "delicates" setting on the dryer. It may take two dry cycles to get them dry, but after that warm water and drying on high/cottons doesn't give me any shrinkage in the shirts. YMMV.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Bordercollie

Post by Bordercollie »

Will check for Schiesser Ts..are they sold in the U.S.?

Ck, I never knew about the grey color under a white shirt not showing up until I read it here on SMF-somone I think said they read it in Esquire?

The other reason I started to like the multiuse grey tee is that you can also wear them by themselves...and they still hold up as better looking than the white tees as the white tees start to look a bit grungy after a while.

Hoos, I will try that drying tip the next laundry time. What I used to do was simply hang up my undershirts/tees and let them drip dry to avoid any shrinkage problems.

100% cotton grey tees are not that common-most grey color tees are for some reason blended with polyester. Will check the TARGET ones.

Thanks all!
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Only problem with those at Target is they come packaged with black ones...which, by the way, disappear under a white shirt too...
Jack

DEF

Post by DEF »

It's a little extra trouble, but you could always use Rit dye to customize a batch of white tees.

Doug
jlmwrite

Post by jlmwrite »

The absolute best t-shirt I've found at ANY price is from Land's End. It's their "Performance Super T" and at $12.50 is amazing. They even have sewn side seams like a real shirt.

I wear the heather gray ones under my scrubs and for layering in the winter. Comfy, soft and incredibly durable. I've got a batch that are more than 2 years old, and still look brand new. I ordered a couple of the long-sleeved ones before winter, and they are just as good.
"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H** no!" -- Animal House, 1978
Bordercollie

Post by Bordercollie »

thanks for the Land's End tee tip-will try them as well.

There's a future project in the works with Rit dyes...just hope I don't dye myself!